Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your first riff

I was severely impressed Herr Squid's Avatar
    For me it wasn't just one riff, it was a whole bag of 'em: La Villa Strangiato. I worked really hard on a whole bunch of that song not very long after I first started poking around at pieces of the Back in Black and 2112 albums. But to this day I still haven't been disciplined enough to work on the LVS intro and get it down...

The first song I ever worked out by myself off the radio was Poison's Talk Dirty To Me.... Must have been mid to late 80's and I think I was maybe 9 or 10 and living in Indiana.

Earlier this year at Markie's house back in Indiana a bunch of us played that song..... Gag Halfrunt and I did a harmonized version of the solo off the cuff. Kinda came full circle nearly 30s later and only 100 miles down the road (with an 50,000 mile detour!!). Good Times!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    The first song I ever worked out by myself off the radio was Poison's Talk Dirty To Me.... Must have been mid to late 80's and I think I was maybe 9 or 10 and living in Indiana.

Earlier this year at Markie's house back in Indiana a bunch of us played that song..... Gag Halfrunt and I did a harmonized version of the solo off the cuff. Kinda came full circle nearly 30s later and only 100 miles down the road (with an 50,000 mile detour!!). Good Times!!
    Until I tried to sing.....it was a show-stopper, but not in a good way!
    Too many and never enough...

Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    I can't fully remember... it may have been the opening to a song called 'Lucky Man' by an old(ish) UK band called The Verve. I also remember spending an age on the riff to Money by the Floyd. I worked it out by ear at the time and probably had it down wrong for a while!
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

Quote Originally Posted by cwhenke View Post
    Until I tried to sing.....it was a show-stopper, but not in a good way!
    Good times brother!!

Actually, after thinking about this for a while, my actual first rid was the into to "Secret Agent Manů"

---Jamie---

My Gear

Senior Member Todd_FindingMyWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    I try to make my jokes timeless...plus I don't want the reality to tarnish it!
    then ignore my directive...
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobstrusive..

I can't really remember my first "riff" but when I was 15 or so my dad had a stella acoustic. I watched him play it and became interested. When I was home alone I would try to figure out chords and eventually tried learning what records we had. So some of my first attempts would have been Ventures and Johnny Rivers. My parents had a lot of records from the 50s and 60s which I still like today.

I did this while my parents were gone so when my dad heard me playing for the first time I think he was shocked as he had no idea I was learning guitar.

While all the on line help musicians have today is great, I sometimes think that not having to figure something out on your own may hurt you in some way.

"Overture" from _2112_
    (513 / P22 / McShootout / DC 245 Ted / DGT / DC22 / Santana / Cu22 Rosewood / 408 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Sig LTD / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom / SE Mushok) >> {Archon, C, H, Dallas, Original Sewell}

Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    I sometimes think that not having to figure something out on your own may hurt you in some way.
    That's how I learned how to write my own songs... and sometimes still do!! By getting 'em wrong.

The first song I ever figured out on my own (the rhythm at least) was Blue Oyster Cult's 'Burnin' for You'. It was 1981, MTV was brand new, and that song was in heavy rotation (along with Pat Benatar, Devo, and J. Geils Band). I was 11 years old and pretty proud of myself at the time. I haven't played the song since. As far as solos go, I felt a since of accomplishment after figuring out both solos in 'Mr. Crowley' note-for-note when I was a teenager. I still play that one all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenCityGuitars View Post
    The first song I ever figured out on my own (the rhythm at least) was Blue Oyster Cult's 'Burnin' for You'. It was 1981, MTV was brand new, and that song was in heavy rotation (along with Pat Benatar, Devo, and J. Geils Band). I was 11 years old and pretty proud of myself at the time. I haven't played the song since. As far as solos go, I felt a since of accomplishment after figuring out both solos in 'Mr. Crowley' note-for-note when I was a teenager. I still play that one all the time.
    QCG rules the Crowley shred! And tag team double fisted dominated Ricker's fountain Cherry Limeade with me!
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    QCG rules the Crowley shred! And tag team double fisted dominated Ricker's fountain Cherry Limeade with me!
    Thank you, sir!

'Riker's Cherry Limeade' could be a future PS stain?

Quote Originally Posted by QueenCityGuitars View Post
    Thank you, sir!

'Riker's Cherry Limeade' could be a future PS stain?
    Dave Crocker could do it.
    Plank Owner

(cool chords from the get-go. woo-hoo!)
    Last edited by kingsleyd; 11-26-2013 at 01:00 PM.

I thought the intro to Smoke On the Water was EVERYBODY's "First Riff"!!!!!