Thread: Tonal difference between piezo and regular hollowbodies?

Tonal difference between piezo and regular hollowbodies?

I purchased a PRS hollowbody 1 in 2001 or so. Before I bought it I had played every one I could get my hands on and they were all amazing instruments and all had the solid bridge. When I ordered mine I got the piezo bridge option and it's been very useful.

I might be crazy...but subjectively I don't think it sounds quite as good as the non-piezo ones I played previously. Sure, it's more than ten years later now but I've often thought it over the years. It still sounds excellent but not quite the same- not as much sustain and perhaps not as full a sound. I've thought about this enough that I've even considered removing the piezo bridge just to try the guitar without it.

Has anyone ever had a chance to compare? Am I crazy?

Jamie

Someone here did pull the piezo off (LBJ?), but I don't know what bridge he went with. It'll make a difference, but I don't know how much of a difference.

BTW, if you pull it out, dibs!

I swapped the piezo off my HBII for a PRS adjustable. The difference was slight. I'd bet the v12 finish on the newer guitars makes much more of a difference. When I shopped for a HBII I played an older one. When I held it I could feel the body vibrate from another customer playing a bass and amp across the room. My 2012 has never done anything like that. I think the V12 is too stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post
    I swapped the piezo off my HBII for a PRS adjustable. The difference was slight. I'd bet the v12 finish on the newer guitars makes much more of a difference. When I shopped for a HBII I played an older one. When I held it I could feel the body vibrate from another customer playing a bass and amp across the room. My 2012 has never done anything like that. I think the V12 is too stiff.
    Does the 2012 have a center block? I know the 25th anniversary (2010) HBII did.

It has the wood beneath the bridge only, not a "center block" like a 335.

I have a 20th Aniv HBII with piezo and you can certainly feel the vibration in its body (it only has the block under the bridge)
    ME1 x4
    MEIII
    Santana II BR Ltd
    Singlecut x2
    PS SC-58
    Sig Ltd
    CU24
    HBII piezo
    513 RW
    Les Paul Std
    Two Rock, Carr, Matchless & Rivera amps

You don't stop playing because you're getting old
    You get old because you stop playing
    Vintage Stuff

I find the piezo bridges are much brighter and "zingier" than the adjustable non-piezo stoptail, which in turn is brighter than the non-adjustable bridge. Without AB-ing the same guitar with all three bridges it's hard to say exactly how they compare, but I'd say there's a significant tone loss with the piezo bridge. In the end it's a compromise. I have guitars with all three and I'm happy with all three though.

I've had both, but never really A/B'd them. Curious what people have to say about this.
    Plank Owner

My problem stems from the need for the peizo. I have been shopping 335's and HB II's for months, but after I got the P22, I can hardly stand standard guitars.... I love the 335's (the ones with tolerable actions, which is a crapshoot from my experience) but when I think of the fact that I have no acoustic sound, I start thinking...well, it would just hang there on the wall like the other "wall art" I have....
    "I've got a job with my name on my shirt!"

I haven't noticed any acoustic beneift in the HB II I have without a piezo. It is a nice guitar but except when I'm using the piezo (which I ususally do) I can't really hear a difference.