View Poll Results: which would you choose?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Poly

2 5.88%
  • V12

20 58.82%
  • Nitro

12 35.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: poly, V12, nitro

poly, V12, nitro

What do you prefer? I've really got limited experience with nitro...except a satin nitro which was great. Pretty much all my guitars have been poly and V12. I played a DGT with nitro but it was really sticky in a humidified shop. I don't really have a preference between poly and V12, both feel and look good. I've read a lot debate on nitro vs. whatever, but not really so much on V12. I ask because I see many PS done w/nitro.

So if given the option on a PRS, which would you choose?

V12. Nitro was too sticky on my old DGT...
    Check out my band, Missing Pieces!!!

2013 Wood Library DGT Armando's Amethyst - "Marie"
    2012 SE Angelus Standard - "Calvin"

Didn't vote............................... I like'm all
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

My name be scrambled ElrytNamrogo's Avatar
    I love the look of nitro, but it's a pain to maintain. I'll go for V12.
    --Tyler G--
    2012 PRS Custom 24
    - Burnt Maple Leaf 10-top
    2008 PRS Custom 22 - Santana Yellow - Rosewood Neck - 10-top
    PRS SE Singlecut Trem - Tobacco Sunburst -Grover Locking Tuners - Bareknuckle Rebel Yells - Push/Pull Volume and Tone - Graphtech Self Lubricating nut

After many years with Poly PRSes, I have come to prefer the V12 on guitars I've owned since PRS started using it. I like the look, feel, and tone of the instruments, so what's not to like?

I think I prefer the V12 on a workhorse instrument just for ease of care, etc.

My PS acoustic has nitro. Mine's not sticky at all, and it looks and sounds great. I'll probably go for that again on another PS I have in mind.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    Didn't vote............................... I like'm all
    Oh man, I was looking forward to your opinion since you have LOTS of them all

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    After many years with Poly PRSes, I have come to prefer the V12 on guitars I've owned since PRS started using it. I like the look, feel, and tone of the instruments, so what's not to like?

I think I prefer the V12 on a workhorse instrument just for ease of care, etc.

My PS acoustic has nitro. Mine's not sticky at all, and it looks and sounds great. I'll probably go for that again on another PS I have in mind.
    Interesting take Les, I hadn't really considered the "care" & maintenance part. See, if I were to go PS, it would also turn into a workhorse.

Nitro. There's something to how it looks. Most finishes look like they wrap the guitar. Nitro looks like it's part of the guitar.
    Plank Owner

I own 6 PRS guitars, and every single one of them has a nitro finish. I no longer buy PRSi with anything else.

My PRSi are all poly I believe very nice finish
    PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII
    Others LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

Played many of all 3, much prefer V12. It feels the best.

The only nitro I have is my goldtop DGT. Given the goldtop, Not sticky, but I do worry about burning it or damaging it somehow (see, axe? I told you I don't always live up to that advice!). My ears aren't good enough to notice the difference, or at least any that I can attribute to the finish.

I never really gave V12 vs. poly much of a thought, but now that I do, I realize that I like my V12 guitars more than the poly. That may be a function of the models themselves, but now that I think about it, there is a difference in feel for those.
    I guess I'm in the V12 camp.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    Interesting take Les, I hadn't really considered the "care" & maintenance part. See, if I were to go PS, it would also turn into a workhorse.
    My PS acoustic is also a workhorse; it's my only acoustic guitar. I use it daily for my work. It's no case queen.

Most of my acoustic guitars in the past have had nitro finishes, and they take a little more care. But since the US acoustics have nitro standard, I wasn't going to switch on a private stock; wouldn't seem sensible for some reason.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I prefer V12 on the bodies and satin nitro on the necks.

The stickiness of nitro goes away with time as the finish cures. I do think it's too fragile for what I'd want on a PRS, though, except the neck. I like nitro on a Fender style guitar where it looks good banged up.

I always liked the older poly finish on PRS guitars, but the V12 looks and feels really nice in my limited experience.
    --Garrett--

I like the original acrylic urethane on the older PRS guitars. I haven't had any serious time with the V12, though.

Defender of the Universe HANGAR18's Avatar
    Isn't it true that Nitro (nitrocellulous) is the least sticky, Poly is the most sticky and the V12 is somewhere in the middle?
    My 2006 is as sticky as Converse b-ball shoes on a basketball court so I assume it is Poly.
    I further assume that my 2011 Custom 24 has V12 on it and it's decent.
    I have two Nitro guitars which are as non-slipery as a glossy finish can be but they are not PRS and I am under the impression that PRS never used Nitrocellulous, but I could be wrong.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

I'm really liking the Nitro. The nitro on the guitar I own isn't sticky, and just feels magnificent. V12 is my second favorite,

Nitro varies greatly depending on how much plasticizer is used in the formula. Plasticizer will prevent the nitro from cracking, but it also makes it feel very sticky. Paul likes to use as little plasticizer as possible because he feels plasticizer deadens the tone of the guitar.

I can't say I feel(or hear for that matter) a difference between poly & V12. I just decided to throw all 3 PRS options up there.