Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Sunken Finish Pile On

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Sunken Finish Pile On

    Inspired by another thread, show your gorgeous guitars with the finish sinking nicely into the wood!

    Extra points if your gold top shows flame!
    One Life

  2. #2
    Opaque John Beef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Posts
    1,425
    I tried to get a better shot while I was restringing last night, still, it just doesn't show in the photos the way it does in person. I really dig it.

    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    85
    hmmm.... I just got my first PRS - Custom 24 '12 w/ the v12 finish. I'm really digging the glass like vibe. It's gonna be hard to accept a "sinker" (don't mean to drag in another thread) - but I'm sure I could get used to it. But seriously, does anyone know if the v12 is supposed to resist this?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by soundbee View Post
    hmmm.... I just got my first PRS - Custom 24 '12 w/ the v12 finish. I'm really digging the glass like vibe. It's gonna be hard to accept a "sinker" (don't mean to drag in another thread) - but I'm sure I could get used to it. But seriously, does anyone know if the v12 is supposed to resist this?
    I like the "unsunk" look, too. Having had many PRSes over the years, I can say that in most cases, the finishes don't sink into the wood appreciably. Luck of the draw seems to be involved. In fact, I've never had a solid body PRS finish sink (18 guitars). Maybe it's just the environment, i.e., storage temp, humidity, etc., that causes the problem.

    However, I'm told that the acoustics all sink because of the way they're finished. Mine is definitely a sinker, which I'll admit bothers me a little.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Luck of the draw seems to be involved.
    I find it to be an "era" issue, not an environmental issue.

    The early PRS guitars show a lot of grain. The newer ones show a LOT less - if any at all. To be clear, I'm drawing a distinction between grain and the wave in texture from the flame/quilt.

    For same back-story, this conversation started out on the old forums as a way for those of us with older guitars to have some fun. The guys with newer guitars were forced to endure their perfect finishes. It's a joke. A gag. A "neener neener" with no value whatsoever. It's simply something more to talk about.

    If you are taking the thread seriously, reconsider.

    Though, it does have the added benefit of teaching people about changes in the finish throughout the years. And, I DO love opaque tops that show flame.
    Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 06-03-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    One Life

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    I find it to be an "era" issue, not an environmental issue.

    The early PRS guitars show a lot of grain. The newer ones show a LOT less - if any at all. To be clear, I'm drawing a distinction between grain and the wave in texture from the flame/quilt.

    For same back-story, this conversation started out on the old forums as a way for those of us with older guitars to have some fun. The guys with newer guitars were forced to endure their perfect finishes. It's a joke. A gag. A "neener neener" with no value whatsoever. It's simply something more to talk about.
    Hans! Hello. I was buying PRSes in 1991, mine didn't sink! Luck of the draw!

    I was active on the early forums - going back to what, the late 90s, with the old PRS Forum that morphed into TGP. I remember the finish discussions! And some were heated. It wasn't all sunglasses and Neener-jobs.

    And finish sink is still happening, especially with Nitro finishes. It's all part of the deal.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Hans! Hello. I was buying PRSes in 1991, mine didn't sink! Luck of the draw!
    Hiya Les!

    I don't have any PRS guitars with finish sinking into the pores from 1989 on. Never had an '88 (maybe I should do something about that). For the benefit of our collective knowledge, of course.

    I do have guitars (even new ones) where I can see the ripple of the flame or quilt.

    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    I remember the finish discussions! And some were heated. It wasn't all sunglasses and Neener-jobs.
    What can I say, some people like to lock horns.

    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    And finish sink is still happening, especially with Nitro finishes. It's all part of the deal.
    Are you talking about finish sinking into the pores or ripple from the flame/quilt?
    Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 06-04-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: I type like a monkey.
    One Life

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    85
    No worries - I'm happy either way. I've found a guitar that feels and sounds like "home" - that's what floats my boat. I'm just wondering what to expect in the future. A glassy finish is great and all, but sometimes I just feel like I want to baby it a bit (not that I'd ever do this sort of thing ... "don't throw that guitar up in the air onstage and hope to catch it"). On the other hand, I do enjoy the look of some of those old well loved nitro Les Paul finishes with the cracks and all. I seem to remember seeing some goldtop PRS's with that aged look from people's pics. Of course you can now get a relic'd version - I like this for only the fact that it takes the pain of your first nick out of the equation. Still I'll enjoy the glassy niceness until I unintentionally mess it up.

    http://www.theguitarsanctuary.com/Cu...s-12183906.htm

  9. #9
    Very interesting about no fillers before 1988 or so. That's cool info, Hans!

    As I said, I was a little surprised when I noticed that slight sink on the then-new Tonare, but I quickly stopped worrying about it when I played it. What a great sound! I've since been looking at websites for other high-end acoustic builders, out of curiosity more than anything else, and I think that to a degree, these things run in trends with guitar makers. For a while, everything had to be shiny, with a slick and hard surface. Then a more natural look came into vogue. And this was back in the 1960s!

    Right now, we seem to be in an era of appreciation of the natural qualities of the woods, and having a very slick surface is less important than having the wood do its thing. There are some very high end makers who are using French polishing, who aren't filling the wood, etc. To some, these things enhance the hand-made look, though in my estimation, they look a little too much like they belong at the Ann Arbor Art Fair, if you know what I mean...

    Still, it's all interesting.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Very interesting about no fillers before 1988 or so. That's cool info, Hans!
    Turns out it wasn't pore fillers. The early guitars did not have a base coat (like the new guitars), they only used an acrylic urythane top coat. As such, the finish would sink into grain a lot more than models that do have a base coat; which was added around 1990.

    This is not, as we both know (but for the benefit of others), tied to flame/quilt showing in the glare. The lack of base coat only made the grain show more.

    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    As I said, I was a little surprised when I noticed that slight sink on the then-new Tonare, but I quickly stopped worrying about it when I played it. What a great sound! I've since been looking at websites for other high-end acoustic builders, out of curiosity more than anything else, and I think that to a degree, these things run in trends with guitar makers. For a while, everything had to be shiny, with a slick and hard surface. Then a more natural look came into vogue. And this was back in the 1960s!
    I agree. PRS guitars have been "dipped in glass" for years but I, too, think the trend ebbs and flows toward super finished appearances and raw wood appearances.

    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Right now, we seem to be in an era of appreciation of the natural qualities of the woods, and having a very slick surface is less important than having the wood do its thing. There are some very high end makers who are using French polishing, who aren't filling the wood, etc. To some, these things enhance the hand-made look, though in my estimation, they look a little too much like they belong at the Ann Arbor Art Fair, if you know what I mean...
    I do know what you mean. And trying to please everyone has got to be a pain in the rear when tastes on this issue are so varied.

    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Still, it's all interesting.
    Sure beats reading the news.
    One Life

  11. #11
    Senior Member vchizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,182
    Back from the dead like a zombie
    I just noticed my '96 CU22's finish has sunk a bit. I pick this guitar up daily, it's my "wall guitar" that hangs above my desk. My 1st PRS ever. Today I had an abnormal amount if time with her and 1st noticed it on the black back of mahogany. Then on a couple spots on the top. I'll try to get some pics but not sure if I can capture it or not.

    It's never been something I necessarily hoped would happen, but I'm really excited it is/has! This is the guitar that is most special to me in my collection.

  12. #12
    Member Boogeyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    85
    I dont guess I even know what yall are talking about? I read the thread but cant tell from the pics where "sinking" has happened. I dont thin either of mine are sinking...if they are I guess it doesn't bother me LOL

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •