Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunken Finish Pile On

Sunken Finish Pile On

Inspired by another thread, show your gorgeous guitars with the finish sinking nicely into the wood!

Extra points if your gold top shows flame!
    One Life

Re: Sunken Finish Pile On

Let me kick it off with some sunken poly... '99 Custom 22 Soapbar

Very hard to photo (especially in my office)

Does the finish sink into the grain on the whole top? I think that would look pretty neat.
    Spend all your time runnin' from the bear, and it's usually the spider who ends up gettin' ya'

Quote Originally Posted by prstatic
    Does the finish sink into the grain on the whole top? I think that would look pretty neat.
    Yep, the finish is applied very evenly over the top so it's the same sexy story everywhere!

Large Member

Some of my favorite PRS over the years had the finish beautifully sunken into the wood. What a great look.

Don't have any other photos at hand where it shows but if you look closely you can see a little sunken finish happening between the pickups. It's gloss nitro and it does show better on the back with the mahogany's pores. Think it looks cool.
    Alex

What I would like to do ideally would be to put together an animated GIF file of me turning my guitar through a light source. It's so obvious that way, but the stills barely pick it up. The wavey lines here should be much more straight. You can also see behind the bridge on the face of the guitar, the centerline where the top was joined/bookmatched, but once again, still photos just don't get it.

The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Oh, here's another one. The reflection of the edge of the bed shows it nicely, especially up near the pickups.

05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

This one's sunken a bit:

If you click on the link, you can see the sink much better: http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn16/dumbleods/5.jpg

do the newer poly guitars do this or only the pre 95ish or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by wsaraceni
    do the newer poly guitars do this or only the pre 95ish or whatever?
    My PS is late 2000, and it has sunk a bit...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

My black guitar up there is a 2005

what causes it? my santana brazilian i dont think has sunk at all. i'll have to look closer though

My brand new Black JA-15 had a sunken finish the day I got it. Same thing with my Private Stock HBII. It would seem that time isn't the only factor.

just checked again. no sunken in finish but some pretty good arm wear

Here's another shot showing sunken finish beauty...

My nitro finish on my 09 Custom 24 GC45 has so sunken in so nice. The finish so incredibly thin. You can see the pours in the mahogany and a nice wavy pattern in the top. I can't get it to show in pictures.. but it's killer in person if you dig that sort of thing.

This is one of those fetish's I don't get. If I ever saw my finish sinking into the guitar, off to the PTC it would go :mrgreen:
    ►★*PrSi-4-EvA*★◄

Quote Originally Posted by The Ratchet
    This is one of those fetish's I don't get. If I ever saw my finish sinking into the guitar, off to the PTC it would go.
    You don't have to get it when you've already got it.

Here's my Fire Red '87.

Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 04-17-2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Fixed Link to Image
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by The Ratchet
    This is one of those fetish's I don't get. If I ever saw my finish sinking into the guitar, off to the PTC it would go :mrgreen:
    These finishes are not "sinking" - these guitars came out of the factory with extremely thin finishes which conform to the minute changes in the wood's surface. My '89 Custom's finish looks the same today as when I bought it new 20+ years ago.