Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulled over by an unmarked SE Soapbar

Pulled over by an unmarked SE Soapbar

So last week I was wandering around in a local music store (in Maryland), and upon the wall of used instruments, I was drawn to an SE Soapbar, mahogany, decent condition. Having owned several of these in the past, and loved them, I picked it up and stated to play it. Then as I was looking at it, I started noticing how different this one was. It had PRS gold low mass locking tuners, gold studs and screws at the bridge, what looks like a bone nut, and absolutely no markings on the headstock. No model name on the front, no serial number or statement by WMI on the back. I'm not new to PRS or to the SE line, and I am positive this was made by WMI: the fretwork, neck, truss rod, finish, and everything else was identical and very SE - no way it's not legit. I went back and bought it yesterday after talking them down a little, and it came with a PRS hard shell case. Plugged it in last night, and must say, these are a little better sounding Soapbars as well. I'm digging it. I left my house before the sun came up this AM, so I didn't get a chance to take any photos yet to post with this. What have I got here? A prototype? First run? Employee guitar? At first I thought that these were mods done by a previous owner, but I really don't think they are now. With the local of markings or designations, something else must be going on. Any ideas?

The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Sounds like a win. Congrats. I will check back for pictures.

Plank Owner

I will post some pics tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Itzed View Post
    I hope you can see these pictures, I can't get the picture icons from my ipad.

fixed the pics...

something feels hinkey about this guitar...
    Last edited by rugerpc; 11-26-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Is WMI making knock offs of these out the back door?

Quote Originally Posted by jimistephen View Post
    Is WMI making knock offs of these out the back door?
    Nah man... Somebody just recognizes that SE's are badass enough guitars and such a tremendous value that they modded that guitar, looks like they did a nice job too. Congratulations, I love my SE Soapbar II.

It's definitely a WMI, I've owned and played enough of those to be sure of that. The salesman at the store said that he knew there was a "story" behind it, but he wasn't there the day it came in and he didn't know what it was. It looks like the original factory finish, so I don't think it was sanded and refinished. I wonder if there are any chemicals that could remove the markings? Do they use waterslide decals on them? Could something dissolve it without taking the finish off? Honestly, I've looked it it very closely and it looks like it simply didn't come with any markings. Plays and sounds like a dream though, and much lighter than my painted Soapbar II. Btw Sergio, that tricked out Soapbar is awesome!
    Last edited by Itzed; 11-26-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks homie! IIRC I was able to sand off the SE logo on a SECU24 that I got without going into the color. The previous owner probably did just that and then clear-coated and buffed it, I'm not sure why so many people are ashamed to have an SE logo on the headstock.... Perhaps it's because they can't tell people it stands for "Sergio Edition"?

I hope you can see these pictures, I can't get the picture icons from my ipad.

Something odd about this body. I've never seen a 3 piece SE body…

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    Something odd about this body. I've never seen a 3 piece SE body…

Jamie
    I had a natural Tremonti SE that was three piece.

Looks like a full body/neck refin to me. Everything looks right except the finish. It was probably a solid color originally, hence the 3 piece body.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

There aren't any multi-piece SE Soapbars currently on eBay, but if you search for SE One, you will find plenty. I think the SE One also came out before the SE Soapbar,, but I'm not sure. I had an SE Soapbar previously that was a multi piece body as well. I believe the original SE Soapbars were mahogany, and not veneered over. Then came the Soapbar II, which also had a maple veneer model as well. If this is a complete refinish, then they did a fantastic job, and I can't imagine why anyone would do that to an SE, and invest in the gold hardware, locking tuners, and labor to do it. You'd be in Maryland territory by that time. I will say, it's lighter, and the neck is a little slimmer than the wide-fats on the other SE Soapbars I've had, so maybe a refinish is not completely off base.

I can't imagine why anyone would do that to an SE, and invest in the gold hardware, locking tuners, and labor to do it. You'd be in Maryland territory by that time.
    I can. :reface:

Wow, that's gorgeous!

Wow, that's gorgeous!
    Thanks buddy.

Every SE Soapbar II I've seen with a transparent finish has had a multi-piece body; three or four pieces. Mine is a solid color, but I can tell it's four pieces by the seams.

I'd guess the OP's guitar has at least had some nice touch ups done on the headstock. Can you see where the original tuner key holes were plugged? Right next to the Phase II mounting screws, towards the inside of the headstock, there should be some holes from the original keys.

The provenance will probably forever be a mystery, because it won't have any markings under the pickups to ID it. Unless, the previous owner/modder left an Easter egg under there...
    --Garrett--

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Can you see where the original tuner key holes were plugged? Right next to the Phase II mounting screws, towards the inside of the headstock, there should be some holes from the original keys.

The provenance will probably forever be a mystery, because it won't have any markings under the pickups to ID it. Unless, the previous owner/modder left an Easter egg under there...
    Sharp eyes my friend. In fact, I am amazed at how you saw that from a poor quality ipad photo when I never saw it in person. I had to go and put it under a bright light after I read this, and only then could I see there were previous holes there, under the poly finish. Barely able to be seen. I'll let you know about the pickups after my next string change. I was so happy to put new strings on it and play, that I didn't want to bother looking at the pickups when I first got it. But I tell you, this does not sound like any previous SE Soapbar I've had. The pickups are much hotter and have way more compression.

I was going on a hunch. Seems like the mods were very well done, so good score.