Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: I don't like Dragon II's anymore!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium
    Posts
    5

    I don't like Dragon II's anymore!

    I bought a Custom 22 in 2003 that I've always used as my main guitar... until now! Maybe it's my ears getting older but compared to my other guitars (a Les Paul Standard and a Fender Jaguar blacktop) it lacks punch and the highs sound too harsh. My main amp is a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier with matching 4x12 and I mainly play heavier stuffs (but no super-heavy hardcore metal). I'm looking for a full, open and warm distortion sound but with also a lot of punch (you know the one that kicks you in the back when palm-muting As I LOVE my custom 22 I'm just looking into changing the DII bridge pup for something else...and not necessary another PRS pup (Bareknuckle?). Could you guys give me some advice/ideas?

    thanks!

    Tom

  2. #2
    Dedicated to PRS
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Posts
    46
    I just threw a BG-Pups BG-Bucker set in my CE22 that sound amazing but I play classic rock/blues-alternative-ish stuff. Bryan has hotter sets available though and i highly recommend his product.

  3. #3
    Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,422
    Dragon I... Chugga chugga chugga!!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    6,169
    HFS= HOLY FUGGIN SHIP!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium
    Posts
    5
    Well BG pickups are nearly impossible to find here in Europe and Dragon I are not produced anymore ... HFS seem like a nice choice. Anyone has them installed on a custom 22?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Jet Whitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Heading South
    Posts
    293
    I wouldn't give up on the II's...... Play around with the height and poles. II's are really responsive to subtle changes. If' that doesn't smooth things out......find a used set of #7's. They are about as good as it gets in a CU22 short of a set of Dragon I's.
    PRS Guitars Endorsee....White and Relic'd Ones !

  7. #7
    Duncan Alternative 8's are loaded in all three guitars at the moment. They are a based on the JB, with a touch more output and excellent harmonic overtones.

  8. #8
    Senior Member sleary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    910
    I hated the dragon 2's at first too . I played with the height just a bit and the difference was amazing . Loved them after that. If that still doesn't work for you then look at the M , dgt or the hfs pickup sets. The dgt I don't think are sold aftermarket but might be able to find on eBay . I love my dgt pickups. They are very versatile.
    2013 PRS DGT,2011 PRS CU24,2014 PRS S2 CU24,2014 Prs se CL 2014 Ibanez sir70fd
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with Saxon cabinet .

  9. #9
    NJ Devil DISTORT6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    452
    It took years for me to find a use for DII's. Turns out, they sound GREAT when tuned to B Standard. Tight, punchy and clear Who knew?
    Getcha Heartwork and Demanufacture on!
    Not like the other kids...

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by sleary View Post
    I hated the dragon 2's at first too . I played with the height just a bit and the difference was amazing . Loved them after that. If that still doesn't work for you then look at the M , dgt or the hfs pickup sets. The dgt I don't think are sold aftermarket but might be able to find on eBay . I love my dgt pickups. They are very versatile.
    By playing with the height you mean lowering them right? I tried a few weeks ago to raise them and the results were not really convincing!

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Whitey View Post
    I wouldn't give up on the II's...... Play around with the height and poles. II's are really responsive to subtle changes. If' that doesn't smooth things out......find a used set of #7's. They are about as good as it gets in a CU22 short of a set of Dragon I's.
    Are #7 similar in output to the Dragon I's? I might be very interested if so!

  12. #12
    Senior Member andy474x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    1,101
    59/09's? The 57/08's I use have some of the best/warmest high lead tones I've heard out of any of my guitars, and the 59/09's are even a bit more subdued in the treble range. Plus, my experience has been that moderate/vintage output pickups are just less harsh in general. You should be able to make up for the output difference with the gain knob on that Mesa no problem.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

    SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

  13. #13
    Senior Member Sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    381
    \m/ pickups, maybe?

  14. #14
    Narrowfield P'kup Hoarder HANGAR18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    59/09's? The 57/08's I use have some of the best/warmest high lead tones I've heard out of any of my guitars, and the 59/09's are even a bit more subdued in the treble range. Plus, my experience has been that moderate/vintage output pickups are just less harsh in general. You should be able to make up for the output difference with the gain knob on that Mesa no problem.
    59/09's are my pick. Awesome!
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •