Thread: I don't like Dragon II's anymore!

I don't like Dragon II's anymore!

I bought a Custom 22 in 2003 that I've always used as my main guitar... until now! Maybe it's my ears getting older but compared to my other guitars (a Les Paul Standard and a Fender Jaguar blacktop) it lacks punch and the highs sound too harsh. My main amp is a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier with matching 4x12 and I mainly play heavier stuffs (but no super-heavy hardcore metal). I'm looking for a full, open and warm distortion sound but with also a lot of punch (you know the one that kicks you in the back when palm-muting As I LOVE my custom 22 I'm just looking into changing the DII bridge pup for something else...and not necessary another PRS pup (Bareknuckle?). Could you guys give me some advice/ideas?

thanks!

Tom

Dedicated to PRS
    I just threw a BG-Pups BG-Bucker set in my CE22 that sound amazing but I play classic rock/blues-alternative-ish stuff. Bryan has hotter sets available though and i highly recommend his product.

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Dragon I... Chugga chugga chugga!!!

HFS= HOLY FUGGIN SHIP!

Well BG pickups are nearly impossible to find here in Europe and Dragon I are not produced anymore ... HFS seem like a nice choice. Anyone has them installed on a custom 22?

I wouldn't give up on the II's...... Play around with the height and poles. II's are really responsive to subtle changes. If' that doesn't smooth things out......find a used set of #7's. They are about as good as it gets in a CU22 short of a set of Dragon I's.
    PRS Guitars Endorsee....White and Relic'd Ones !

Duncan Alternative 8's are loaded in all three guitars at the moment. They are a based on the JB, with a touch more output and excellent harmonic overtones.

I hated the dragon 2's at first too . I played with the height just a bit and the difference was amazing . Loved them after that. If that still doesn't work for you then look at the M , dgt or the hfs pickup sets. The dgt I don't think are sold aftermarket but might be able to find on eBay . I love my dgt pickups. They are very versatile.
    2013 PRS DGT,2011 PRS CU24,2014 PRS S2 CU24,2014 Prs se CL 2014 Ibanez sir70fd
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with Saxon cabinet .

It took years for me to find a use for DII's. Turns out, they sound GREAT when tuned to B Standard. Tight, punchy and clear Who knew?
    Getcha Heartwork and Demanufacture on!
    Not like the other kids...

Quote Originally Posted by sleary View Post
    I hated the dragon 2's at first too . I played with the height just a bit and the difference was amazing . Loved them after that. If that still doesn't work for you then look at the M , dgt or the hfs pickup sets. The dgt I don't think are sold aftermarket but might be able to find on eBay . I love my dgt pickups. They are very versatile.
    By playing with the height you mean lowering them right? I tried a few weeks ago to raise them and the results were not really convincing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Whitey View Post
    I wouldn't give up on the II's...... Play around with the height and poles. II's are really responsive to subtle changes. If' that doesn't smooth things out......find a used set of #7's. They are about as good as it gets in a CU22 short of a set of Dragon I's.
    Are #7 similar in output to the Dragon I's? I might be very interested if so!

59/09's? The 57/08's I use have some of the best/warmest high lead tones I've heard out of any of my guitars, and the 59/09's are even a bit more subdued in the treble range. Plus, my experience has been that moderate/vintage output pickups are just less harsh in general. You should be able to make up for the output difference with the gain knob on that Mesa no problem.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

\m/ pickups, maybe?

Narrowfield P'kup Hoarder HANGAR18's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    59/09's? The 57/08's I use have some of the best/warmest high lead tones I've heard out of any of my guitars, and the 59/09's are even a bit more subdued in the treble range. Plus, my experience has been that moderate/vintage output pickups are just less harsh in general. You should be able to make up for the output difference with the gain knob on that Mesa no problem.
    59/09's are my pick. Awesome!
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP