Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alright Guys

Alright Guys

I've figured out that I might be a single coil guy. I'm more shocked than anyone. What are my options? I've got the SE EG currently. Obviously the MD EG exists as well as as 305 and DC3. What are your thoughts on the MD single coil gitfiddles? I'll be saving my pennies to upgrade soon. All commentary appreciated.

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    I'm a single-coil guy too, although I use humbucker sounds too, and it's nice that PRS is giving us more choices. The DC3 and the 305 are both excellent guitars, but for me the best of both worlds is the Brent Mason.

Heretic!

As you probably guessed, I am NOT a single coil guy...but that Brent Mason has been really popular and sounds fantastic. He's definitely a guy that should have a firm grasp on good single coil tones.
    That said, I LOVE the swamp ash narrowfield! If you can track one down check it out.

I haven't really played the DC3 or 305 much, so can't help you there.
    Last edited by vchizzle; 11-28-2013 at 09:32 AM.

You could always go the 513 route. Then, you would have the humbucking bases covered too!
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

I had similar thoughts to Bill and Vaughn (so you guys should probably seek medical consultation). The 513 and BM should cover the single-coil tones very well, but also allow for the humbucker use if the need arises. I actually thought about a 408 for the same reason - very good single-coil tones, but also has the humbucker sounds. Although I admit, it feels a bit strange to recommend a humbucker-equipped guitar for the single-coil tones. The big drawback with the 408 is that you wouldn't get the 2 and 4 Strat sound - but the BM should do that - and it's got "specially wound 408s". So if those do get the same tone as the regular 408s, I'd think you couldn't go wrong with the BM.

Damn - now *I'm* getting gas for one!
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Great info so far.

You could do what I have done. I love single coil tones too, but I'm fond of buckers as well. I have a MIM Strat that gets a workout when I need that quack, and then the Cu24 does the rest in bucker or single coil mode.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

The 408 is the best of both worlds.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

What Les said.
    Plank Owner

A 513 would totally fit the prog stuff you guys are doing I think. Of course you have to like the pickups since you can't change em. Although that applies to most of the guitars we're talkin here.

513 would be good for you
    408 is my fav

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    I had similar thoughts to Bill and Vaughn (so you guys should probably seek medical consultation). The 513 and BM should cover the single-coil tones very well, but also allow for the humbucker use if the need arises. I actually thought about a 408 for the same reason - very good single-coil tones, but also has the humbucker sounds. Although I admit, it feels a bit strange to recommend a humbucker-equipped guitar for the single-coil tones. The big drawback with the 408 is that you wouldn't get the 2 and 4 Strat sound - but the BM should do that - and it's got "specially wound 408s". So if those do get the same tone as the regular 408s, I'd think you couldn't go wrong with the BM.

Damn - now *I'm* getting gas for one!
    +1 on all this. 513, BM, or 408 (or Paul's) give you the flexibility to hit the humbucker tones if needed.

Hard to tell from the pics, but are the BM 408s regular humbucker size? That might give a little added flexibility if you ever need to swap, but really, the 408s sound awesome. I've thrown tons of styles at them, and they've done it all.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

I knew I could count on you guys to spend my money.

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    A 513 would totally fit the prog stuff you guys are doing I think. Of course you have to like the pickups since you can't change em. Although that applies to most of the guitars we're talkin here.
    The 513 looks really rad. A bevy of sounds I'd imagine.

DC3's are fairly inexpensive and probably the most "Fender" of PRS's single coil offerings.... but no fancy looking curves.

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    I'm a big fan of the 305, I gotta pick one up at some point..

Scott is an odd bird but this shows off the guitar's capabilities and is a very good review:

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    Hard to tell from the pics, but are the BM 408s regular humbucker size? That might give a little added flexibility if you ever need to swap, but really, the 408s sound awesome. I've thrown tons of styles at them, and they've done it all.
    I think they are the same size as the normal narrow 408s, meaning a little narrower than a humbucker, and a little longer. Since the BM has a pickguard, you can always just replace e pickguard with a new one sized for humbuckers, if you wanted to go that route.

513...longer scale lends itself to bends, and HB tones are very full and chimey (did I really just write "chimey"??) ...the Swamp ash 513 has great single coil tones...good luck, and try 'me all!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    The 513 looks really rad. A bevy of sounds I'd imagine.
    Yeah, I would think. I haven't played around on one much though so can't comment much.