View Poll Results: What's your favourite?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3-way Toggle & Push/Pull or Push/Push tone pot

28 51.85%
  • 5-way blade switch

19 35.19%
  • 5-way rotary

7 12.96%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLL: What's your preferred p'up selector?

POLL: What's your preferred p'up selector?

So whenever I get a new PRS, I switch out the rotary. It's crazy I know but when on stage, unless i'm staring at the switch, I can't tell where I am cause I'm stupid...

So I always install a 3 way toggle and push/push tone pot. I don't always use split positions but will happily fly through bridge/mid/neck all the time. I'm very close to switching out the 5-way blade switch in mu cu24 with a 3-way blade and push/push the tone there too.

So I ask you all guys: what switching method do you prefer?

EDIT: Plus I just wanted to launch a poll (maybe the first on the forum?)
    '12 Mira Green Burst - '09 Cu24 Charcoal Burst - '09 SC250 Dark Cherry Burst - Taylor 514CE - Ibanez SR300 Bass - Mesa MkV Head & 1x12 Cab

Re: POLL: What's your preferred p'up selector?

I love the rotary in the studio, but its difficult to use in any sort of fast paced music unless you go from 1 to 5 without any in betweens haha
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Haven't tried the 5 way blade yet, but I have problems switching the 5 way rotary while playing. The 3 way toggle in my Al D works great and is very usable but I don't use the coil taps much with the push pull tone knob. I would rather have another toggle to tap them.
    Custom 24, 5909, 305, Al Di Meola Prism, Paul's Guitar, SE Angelus
    Mesa Lonestar Special w/4x10 Mesa cab

3 way for me............
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

I like the Siggy switching best: 3-way toggle with mini toggles for splitting each pup.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by themike
    I love the rotary in the studio, but its difficult to use in any sort of fast paced music unless you go from 1 to 5 without any in betweens haha
    This was always my issue with the rotary, I had problems effectively using it live. I use the 3 way/pp system in all my guitars. I don't tap a lot though. I think I could get used to the blade easy enough, but I don't love the way it looks either - never been a fan of much of anything strat like...but I don't hate it either.

I prefer the 3-way toggle. It's the easiest and most familiar setup on stage when the adrenaline is going and the lights are bright...
    Chasing Fragile Harmonics...

As a long time (ehm...) other brand gtrs in singlecut shape user I voted 3 way toggle.
    Simply a matter of habit.
    2007 Singlecut Satin Artist Pack Emerald Green
    2007 Tremonti SE Rhodesian Ridgeback (modded beyond the point of sanity)
    + some other gear

I voted 5 way blade.
    That being said it's only because there was no 3 way blade plus coil split choice ala Mira.
    2001 PRS McRosie Violin Amber Sunburst Abalone birdies
    2008 PRS Mira Vintage Orange with old MOP birdies
    2009 PRS 305 Tri Colour Burst
    2009 PRS SE ONE autographed by Dweezil Zappa
    2011 PRS H combo amp

Searching for the sound tdarian's Avatar

Like the 3 way, but would rather have split coils accessed with mini toggles like on the Sig. Wish there was a spearate volume for both pickups.
    If I Told You All That Went Down It Would Burn Off Both Of Your Ears

5-way blade

Best move PRS made switching from the rotary to the blade. (this is where :dude: would be if we had that option)

Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    I like the Siggy switching best: 3-way toggle with mini toggles for splitting each pup.
    +1 here. I always used just the 3-way toggle no splitting until I played one of Markie's Siggs....the pup selecting ont hem is great, of course the pups them selves make the actual switching all worth while....
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

I went with the 3-way. I WANT to like the blade, however whatever switch PRS decided to go with feels way too clunky and 'mil spec ' to me. Like something that would be more suited to a piece of studio gear (Shadow Hills comes to mind) or on the launch control panel for a missile lol.
    ••••••••►•★•*PrSi-4-EvA*•★•◄••••••••

I went with 3 way. I tried liking the rotary but just couldn't get into it. It's just too difficult to be precise (while being fast) in a live gig situation.
    Alex

2010 PRS Special
    Blackstar
    Mesa
    Pedals

Rotary. Could just be Stockholm syndrome though.

I said 3-way, but frankly the One is the only one that does not confuse me
    Sunburst 245 '09 | Mira '07 (Starla pups) | SC Satin Trem '06 (Tremonti Treble and Fralin PAF) | Tremonti I '03 (#7 Bass and Tremonti Treble) | McSoapy '03 | Studio '90 | CE 24 (alder) '89 (59/09s) | SE One | SE Mike Mushok baritone (Starla pups)

I know I'm in the minority, but darn it, if I said anything other than the 5-way rotary I'd be lying! Maybe it's primarily because those I've owned with it have sounded so good, but I love that quirky, sometimes difficult to grab, often hard to detect current position, strangely numbered, potentially frustrating............switch.

Quote Originally Posted by AaeCee
    I know I'm in the minority, but darn it, if I said anything other than the 5-way rotary I'd be lying! Maybe it's primarily because those I've owned with it have sounded so good, but I love that quirky, sometimes difficult to grab, often hard to detect current position, strangely numbered, potentially frustrating............switch.
    Ha! Well put.

I voted 5 way blade. Having one dedicated control for all pickup switching/coil tapping works well for me. Also, the blade is a more practical solution than the rotary, since you don't grab the wrong knob, and you can easily feel where you are.

The one on my guitar feels very smooth and high-quality.

I like the 3-way setup on the SC models. A pull-up knob has always been a source of frustration, hard to grab onto and somewhat fiddly under my fingers (others seem to have no problem with this, so that's probably a personal dexterity issue).
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I actually love the rotary quite a bit..it's what I was most comfortable playing until recently...used em for most of the 90's and 00's but since have moved more toward 3way push/pull....still really miss the 9 position though...Haven't swapped em all out and don't intend too...prefer the rotary with original dragons in particular.
    -Bob