Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you were me what would you do? PTC?

Quote Originally Posted by windsongstudios View Post
    I still play her all the time and the only mod I have done is replace the HFS and VB pups with Dragon I's. This guitar has been played to death and while the frets are practically new the finish has seen better days. So the question is:

Should I sent her to PTC and have her slicked up with the V12 treatment as well as the new knobs, tuners, etc? Please let me know your thoughts.
    Great choice swapping out the HFS/VB combo for a set of Dragon Is!

I think you should do what you want concerning the PTC. If you look at those imperfections and see a history log that portals you to good memories, keep it as it is. Conversely, if you look at those imperfections and see finish flaws that bother you, send it to the PTC.

Personally, I would send it to the PTC to fix the finish, convert the tuners to Phase IIs, and get a full set-up.

I'm not a giging player. I work at playing guitar for myself and have no delusions (for the present) of being good enough to entertain others. So when I put a ding or a scratch on a guitar, it is because I was careless or did something else stupid. I don't get to point at it and say I got that one when a waitress at the bar I was playing at grabbed my butt and startled me. Or when my guitar bumped into Davy Knowles' guitar. No, mine are hollow reminders of something that shouldn't have happened.

But the battle scats on your guitar are different. You can probably remember how you got each one, the venue and what was special or awful (or both) about that gig. Like Hans writes, it's it's a diary. It would be a shame to rip the pages out of it.

If there is something that effects playability, fix that. The rest is your memories and history.

Edit: this is also why I think artificially 'reliced' guitars are a sham. Provenance doesn't come about with tools in the shop - it should be lived.

Oh, and leave those tuners be. Or, if you won't want them and get them replaced, send them to me!
    Last edited by rugerpc; 11-29-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance, but he's soooo missingpieces over them now!
    Lexicon ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    Edit: this is also why I think artificially 'reliced' guitars are a sham. Provenance doesn't come about with tools in the shop - it should be lived.
    AMEN

Leave it as it sits...neat stories, and memories. However, the big white number 1 should go back on, now just go find a number 2 !!....then replace all humbuckers with minis...and add a full size HB in the middle, then smash 'me into a stack of Marshalls...awesome the way it is!

I wouldn't obsess too much about cosmetic damage. However, I would consider sending to the PTC for a tuner upgrade. Well worth the cost IMHO. Cool guitar by the way!

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Sometimes those dents and dings speak to a rich history with an instrument...

Trouble is, PRS make such beautiful guitars sometimes we always want them to look perfect. If it were a beat up old Strat or LP, no biggie but knowing what the PTC is capable of, I understand your dilemma.

And you're welcome for the absolute lack of help this post provided. 😜

Quote Originally Posted by Bill SAS 513 View Post
    Leave it as it sits...neat stories, and memories. However, the big white number 1 should go back on, now just go find a number 2 !!....then replace all humbuckers with minis...and add a full size HB in the middle, then smash 'me into a stack of Marshalls...awesome the way it is!
    Haha glad you noticed my nod to Pete.
    1995 CE24 Maple Top Purple/1999 McCarty Rosewood 10 Top Whale Blue/2011 DGT 10 Top Tobacco Sunburst/ 2011 408 MT Quilt Faded Blue Jean/ 2013 Paul's Guitar Yellow Tiger/2013 Private Stock DC245 Zombie Fade 1 /2007 NOS McCarty Soapbar Brazilian Grandma Hannon Pink

Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    Keep it and stick that PTC money in a new guitar account.
    You can't buy better advice than this.
    Plank Owner

I stopped reading here:

"have a good day kid"

Amazing !!

Quote Originally Posted by brentmoss View Post
    I stopped reading here:

"have a good day kid"

Amazing !!

No doubt. A great moment.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    Keep it and stick that PTC money in a new guitar account.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    You can't buy better advice than this.
    For REAL! I think the new guitars really are the best they've made so far. I'd keep that CE just like it is, as long as it plays and sounds good. It looks like it earned its status. If it were me, I'd be reminded of great memories every time I looked at it.
    --Garrett--

If I were you I would probably want to get it refinished. But that's because I'm weird like that, and I think it really would be a shame. The guitar shows your history together as it is, like the dog you grew up with now being old and grey around the muzzle and with a bit of limp... ;-)

I say keep it the way it is! Like you said, that's an instrument that has been PLAYED and it has earned every one of its scars.

That's honest play wear. I'd keep it as is, unless you need some work to make her playable, new frets, tuners, etc...
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737