Thread: Q: PRS SE Angelus body construction materials

Narrowfield Pickup Fan HANGAR18's Avatar

Q: PRS SE Angelus body construction materials

I'm considering the purchase of a PRS SE Angelus model acoustic guitar but I am not clear on whether the back and sides are made using 100% of the wood each version is listed to contain or if the wood listed is simply a veneer top layer with a different kind of wood in a layer or two beneath the top layer. For example, the PRS web site states in many cases "solid top" and "solid back" (either Mahogany or Rosewood) but the description of sides (either Mahogany or Rosewood) does not include the word "solid".

Does this mean that the sides are made up of multiple layers of either Mahogany or Rosewood or does it mean that the sides are made up of only Mahogany or Rosewood on the outer layer you can see while there is a different type of wood underneath?

I'm also interested in receiving confirmation that the "solid Mahogany (or Rosewood) back" means exactly what it says, especially meaning without the presence of any other type of wood in the forming of the entire back piece.

Ultimately, if any of the parts on the SE series of PRS acoustic guitars has laminated, consisting of different types of wood, I really want to know that before I buy one.

Thanks.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

The top and back are indeed solid woods. The sides are laminates. Now, that might sound like a bad thing, but a number of really high end classical guitars use laminate sides for strength. It doesn't hurt that it's also a cheaper method of construction, but I wouldn't necessarily let it put me off buying a guitar.

Narrowfield Pickup Fan HANGAR18's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ADP View Post
    The top and back are indeed solid woods. The sides are laminates. Now, that might sound like a bad thing, but a number of really high end classical guitars use laminate sides for strength. It doesn't hurt that it's also a cheaper method of construction, but I wouldn't necessarily let it put me off buying a guitar.
    So, do the side laminates use the same type of wood or mixed types of wood?
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

For the Angelus SE Custom, PRS site states "rosewood" for the sides. That it's laminated can be seen from the absence of the word "solid". That the sides are not mixed is seen from the absence of the mentioning of such wood. If it were spruce with rosewood veneer, it would most certainly state "spruce" somewhere in the description. (and same for the Standard that has mahogany non-solid sides).
    Remember, this is PRS, not some corner cutting <censored>-company.
    I've got an Angelus SE Custom , and it plays and sounds wonderfully. (Unfortunately for you I'm not inclined to drill a hole in the side of my Angelus to determine the make-up of the laminate ).
    "I'm a stream of noughts and crosses in your R.A.M."

Even extremely expensive classical guitars with laminated sides don't necessarily use only rosewood in the laminate. Often it's spruce or maple with a rosewood veneer. I've never seen an Angelus SE, but if you were to look inside the guitar at the ribs, you would probably see what kind of wood it is. Again, it wouldn't bother me anyway if it isn't rosewood for the reasons I mentioned above. When we hear "laminate" we normally think of plywood, but this isn't plywood.

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Looking inside my SE Angelus Custom, the sides appear to be rosewood inside and out. So if different wood is used, it's layered between the rosewood. IMHO it's all rosewood or mahogany depending on model just not solid on the sides...

Couldn't you take the strap pin out and check there to see if it's layered? Or is there a block there?
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

As was said, sides are lam...of all one species...AND...laminated sides are not a bad thing and don't make tone.

Indeed. Stiffer sides mean that the top and back get a greater share of the string vibrations. And it's extremely unlikely that there are more than two layers in the laminate. Looking inside the strap button hole should show this.