Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a 408 Standard & Signature Limited and am considering getting rid of the 408..

I have a 408 Standard & Signature Limited and am considering getting rid of the 408..

I'm new here, so I hope I'm posting this in the proper area.

The 408 has a pattern thin rosewood neck, which I prefer to the pattern neck of the Sig Ltd. I'm also a sucker for rosewood necks, they're just so addictive. While I love both, they basically cover the same sonic ground and I think I prefer the tone of the Sig Ltd. The reason I'm posting is I'd like some input on which PRS model would complement my Sig Ltd sonically for classic rock, southern rock, texas blues and the like. Think 60's through 80's music primarily.

I'm leaning heavily towards an SC 58, Stripped 58 or new SC 245 (possibly with a rosewood neck) as many of my guitar heroes played Les Pauls. Damn that Frampton Comes Alive album cover! I'm also considering a Custom 24 with a pattern thin rosewood neck, an ME Quatro or even a regular or singlecut Hollowbody II. I don't plan on this being my last ​PRS, just my next PRS. I'm really open to anything, so give me your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
    2007 Ibanez JEM7V, LTD EC-1000VB, LTD GUS-600 EC
    PRS SE Torero - Limited Edition Solid Black with White Binding
    2012 PRS 408 Standard Trem - Natural with Pattern Thin Rosewood Neck
    2012 PRS Signature Limited Trem - Charcoal Burst

My Custom 24 can do everything except play itself. I use her to play 80's hair metal, classic rock, blues, and jazz. I've never had a problem getting convincing tones out of her, no matter what the situation is. In the words of Rob Chappers, she's a "sonic shapeshifter!"
    http://www.prsguitars.com/custom24_experience2012/

I also dig my P24 for clean work and a more classic vibe. The 53/10s are amazing, but take a bit more work for me to get heavier tones out of compared to the Custom 24.
    PS 4746 - Echo
    Experience 2012 Custom 24 - Inara
    P24 - Natasha
    2012 Tremonti SE

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyD View Post
    My Custom 24 can do everything except play itself. I use her to play 80's hair metal, classic rock, blues, and jazz. I've never had a problem getting convincing tones out of her, no matter what the situation is. In the words of Rob Chappers, she's a "sonic shapeshifter!"
    http://www.prsguitars.com/custom24_experience2012/

I also dig my P24 for clean work and a more classic vibe. The 53/10s are amazing, but take a bit more work for me to get heavier tones out of compared to the Custom 24.

Thanks for the reply, Bobby. I've heard that about the Custom 24 and I'm sure I'll end up with one sooner or later. I also like the idea of being able to get one with a pattern thin rosewood or even maple neck at less cost than an ME Quatro. However, what's intriguing to me about the ME Quatro are those 53/10 pups. I suspect they're wonderful for blues, fusion, jazz and some rock applications Any chance they'll make a core line P-24 for 2014? Also, noticed you have a Tremonti, how do you like it? I like that it's a singlecut with a 25" scale length and a pattern thin neck, but I may need to change the pups if I got one.

*EDIT*

Although, I'm not a big fan of the looks of a trem on a singlecut. I guess that's the old school in me coming out, but I do like trems, so I'm sure I'd adapt.
    Last edited by Bill Downing; 12-04-2013 at 09:06 PM.

You work in The Patch Bill? Just noticing your Avatar
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    You work in The Patch Bill? Just noticing your Avatar
    I used to, Markie. Truck Driver is one of the many career hats I've worn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Downing View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Bobby. I've heard that about the Custom 24 and I'm sure I'll end up with one sooner or later. I also like the idea of being able to get one with a pattern thin rosewood or even maple neck at less cost than an ME Quatro. However, what's intriguing to me about the ME Quatro are those 53/10 pups. I suspect they're wonderful for blues, fusion, jazz and some rock applications Any chance they'll make core line P-24 for 2014? Also, noticed you have a Tremonti, how do you like it? I like that it's a singlecut with a 25" scale length and a pattern thin neck, but I may need to change the pups if I got one.
    I got the P24 used from the guys at Wild West (yeah DFD)! Great buy.

If you're into trems and can deal with a pattern regular neck, then you're in luck...

http://www.prsguitars.com/p24trem_limited/

But I'll be honest that I don't get to the Tremonti SE very often. The SE 245 pickups and I just aren't friends, even though some people love them.

On the Custom 24 front there are a few things to look at:
    http://www.prsguitars.com/swampashcustom_limited/
    http://www.prsguitars.com/custom24_limited/

...But it sounds like you might be best served with that ME. There are some options out there - including the NOS ones with a brazzy board.

Thanks for letting me help you go shopping!
    PS 4746 - Echo
    Experience 2012 Custom 24 - Inara
    P24 - Natasha
    2012 Tremonti SE

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyD View Post
    I got the P24 used from the guys at Wild West (yeah DFD)! Great buy.

If you're into trems and can deal with a pattern regular neck, then you're in luck...

http://www.prsguitars.com/p24trem_limited/

But I'll be honest that I don't get to the Tremonti SE very often. The SE 245 pickups and I just aren't friends, even though some people love them.

On the Custom 24 front there are a few things to look at:
    http://www.prsguitars.com/swampashcustom_limited/
    http://www.prsguitars.com/custom24_limited/

...But it sounds like you might be best served with that ME. There are some options out there - including the NOS ones with a brazzy board.

Thanks for letting me help you go shopping!

Actually, I just sold an SE 245 to a buddy because I just couldn't mesh with the wide fat neck on it. Oddly enough, I don't have a problem with my SE Semi-Hollow and it's supposed to also have a wide fat neck too. I didn't mind the pups, but then I didn't play it much due to the neck size issue. I'll check out those links and thanks for the enableling, as if I need the help! I stopped by WWG on my way back home from San Diego this summer. OMG, talk about a kid in a candy store. That place is incredible! All the guys were really nice, helpful and patient with me and they do give great deals. I came so close to buying a 408 MT in Autumn Sky with a solid Brazilian pattern thin neck. OMG! I'm drooling just thinking about it, but I passed and ended up getting an incredible deal on my Sig Ltd from Brian's Guitars. Those NOS MEs are killer, but may be a bit pricey for me at the moment.

I used to, Markie. Truck Driver is one of the many career hats I've worn.

I did a short stint in western Oklahoma in the early 80s......................... Hard fugg'in work!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

I think I'm probably the first guy here to always say: "you need an SC HB! I love mine and it definitely compliments the 408s. I can't get enough of mine. You might want to go doublecut HB if the joy of wrangling (musical) feedback bugs you. The SC vibrates so much it just wants to sing.

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    I did a short stint in western Oklahoma in the early 80s......................... Hard fugg'in work!
    That it is and may explain why I just drive truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I think I'm probably the first guy here to always say: "you need an SC HB! I love mine and it definitely compliments the 408s. I can't get enough of mine. You might want to go doublecut HB if the joy of wrangling (musical) feedback bugs you. The SC vibrates so much it just wants to sing.
    Thanks for the info. I really like the looks of both, but prefer the SC. I see you're in Boulder, I have friends down that way (Aurora, Denver, Longmont etc.) I visit from time to time and was thinking of checking out Wildwood Guitars to AB some guitars. Have you been there and if so, do you recommend it?
    Last edited by Bill Downing; 12-04-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Bill,

Classic and Southern Rock screams Les Paul to me, so I'd recommend some iteration of Singlecut. I own a Singlecut and a Singlecut Trem, and love 'em both. But with SC-style guitars, I think it might be a good idea to check out a SC245 or Ted McCarty SC245. (I think there are Ted SCs floating around with rosewood necks as well.). Since you didn't mention metal or hard rock, I'd recommend 57/08 pickups.

For Texas Blues, that means Stevie Ray to me. So I honestly don't think anything but a Strat would play the part convincingly.

Good luck,
    bs
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Quote Originally Posted by Brad737 View Post
    Bill,

Classic and Southern Rock screams Les Paul to me, so I'd recommend some iteration of Singlecut. I own a Singlecut and a Singlecut Trem, and love 'em both. But with SC-style guitars, I think it might be a good idea to check out a SC245 or Ted McCarty SC245. (I think there are Ted SCs floating around with rosewood necks as well.). Since you didn't mention metal or hard rock, I'd recommend 57/08 pickups.

For Texas Blues, that means Stevie Ray to me. So I honestly don't think anything but a Strat would play the part convincingly.

Good luck,
    bs
    Thanks, I completely agree with you on the southern rock which is why I'm leaning towards an SC. Yes, SRV, Johnny Winter, Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd etc. I also am into Eric Johnson, Joe Bonamassa, Jeff Healy, Gary Moore. I wonder how a 305 or maybe an NF3 would fit. As far as hard rock ground I want to cover, AC/DC, BLS, Buckcherry, The Cult, GN'R, Iron Maiden, L.A. Guns, Kiss, Ozzy, Ratt, Scorpians, Tesla etc. I'm not huge into metal, some of the early stuff.

Thanks for the info. I really like the looks of both, but prefer the SC. I see you're in Boulder, I have friends down that way (Aurora, Denver, Longmont etc.) I visit from time to time and was thinking of checking out Wildwood Guitars to AB some guitars. Have you been there and if so, do you recommend it?
    Wildwood is a great shop. If you do come by for a visit, don't let the outside of the shop fool you! Also, almost all of their inventory is stored next to the shop. You just ask for what you want to play, or for help, and they'll take care of you.

Drop me a note if you head up that way and want to meet up.

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Wildwood is a great shop. If you do come by for a visit, don't let the outside of the shop fool you! Also, almost all of their inventory is stored next to the shop. You just ask for what you want to play, or for help, and they'll take care of you.

Drop me a note if you head up that way and want to meet up.
    Cool! Will do.

+1 on Wildwood. I was only there once, and had a great time.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

... As far as hard rock ground I want to cover, AC/DC, BLS, Buckcherry, The Cult, GN'R, Iron Maiden, L.A. Guns, Kiss, Ozzy, Ratt, Scorpians, Tesla etc. I'm not huge into metal, some of the early stuff.
    This just screams "DGT" to me. You might want to change the strings down to 10's for some of the faster music in there, but the DGT excels at Classic Rock tones (among others) and with 2 volume knobs can really get some varied LP-type sounds.

My $0.02, as you were, carry on, etc.

I'd agree - DGT or an SC245/SC-58/Stripped-58/SC-Ted.

Quote Originally Posted by dprather View Post
    This just screams "DGT" to me. You might want to change the strings down to 10's for some of the faster music in there, but the DGT excels at Classic Rock tones (among others) and with 2 volume knobs can really get some varied LP-type sounds.

My $0.02, as you were, carry on, etc.
    I agree with you based on all the things I've heard and read about them, but I've never played one. A concern I have is don't they have larger necks and frets, I'd kinda written them off because of that. I'd prefer pattern thin with pattern as max, but I'll try one if I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinfan View Post
    I'd agree - DGT or an SC245/SC-58/Stripped-58/SC-Ted.
    Yeah, really been eyeballing the new SC's hard. Which reminds me, is there a major difference tone wise between the new two piece bridge and the old one piece wraparound bridge? Thanks.

I haven't played a pattern thin, so take this with a grain of salt...the DGT neck for me is just about perfect. It just disappears into my hand. It's a bit bigger than the wide thin I have, but to me, not close to a wide fat. Very close to a regular, though. And I'd have to check my hang tag, but I believe my 408 is listed as a pattern neck, but it feels more like a regular - it's very close to the DGT. I've said before that if I ever do a PS, I might take my DGT to the factory ('cause if I'm doing this, I want the flipping wood library experience!) and see if they can duplicate the neck. It's that good.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner