Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: All knobs are set to 11 today in Stevensville.....

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    Thanks guys, I would really like to see a video of this amp turned down to bedroom volumes and see if it still sounds good.

Maybe Shawn could get us a demo?
    If it works good, my dealer will be getting a call.
    Whenever mine arrives I might toss something up, if I do so I'll try to put something together at bedroom volume for you.

Quote Originally Posted by richardlpalmer View Post
    And to be clear, I'm happy this is 50 watts and not 100+. I think it has a lot of potential for having the clean headroom lower wattage amps seem to lack. I'm excited for the potential.
    Well just to be clear as it has been stated previously, it IS a 100 watt head, it just has a 50w switch which takes two of the power tubes out of the power section. While that will certainly have an effect on the overall tone, the volume difference is not going to be significantly different there. Looking at the calculator 100w = 50db, whereas 50w = 46.9897db, so while there is a slight difference in volume, it likely won't be as dramatic as you think. Really, it comes down to whether or not the amp has a good master volume if you're looking for that sweet spot for achieving great tone at bedroom volume.

In all honesty, the PRS amps really do seem to have a pretty darn good master volume from my experience with the two I've owned (PRS Original Sewell 50w and the customized "Gain Monster" 100w 2-channel H), but if you're looking for whisper volume with great metal tone out of a 100w high gain amp, I'm not entirely sure that's the most realistic hope to hold.

All of that being said, I'll be jamming mine in a basement so I'm hoping the master volume is as good as I've seen on Doug's other amps. If that's the case, it should definitely be getting a lot of use at home, but likely when the neighbors/wife aren't home since the 100w 2-Channel H I had was pretty loud for the high gain side when things started to sound "better" on channel 2, FWIW.

I'm also hoping to try my hand at profiling the amp at volume at a buddy's house with my Kemper so I could run the Kemper through my CLR at lower volumes while still getting that same tone when I'm at home and the wifey and pooch are around... Even with the profiles, I'll still be keeping the Archon around as while I love the Kemper, I still feel there is that little something extra you get from tube amps (besides hearing loss haha) that is hard to replicate without going 100w tube amp into a 4x12 guitar cab!
    Last edited by HighGain510; 12-30-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    -Matt

Just saw this post on FB with some of Mark's amps for sale.

http://store.fret12.com/Mark-Tremont...rsgmt-uber.htm

The Uberschall for sale makes me wonder if the Archon is actually replacing it vs the Mesa in his back line. I know he used to blend the mesa with the Bogner for his main rhythm tone live.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, PS #4858 McCarty Singlecut, Floyd Custom 24
    Powered by Friedman

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebulldog View Post

The Uberschall for sale makes me wonder if the Archon is actually replacing it vs the Mesa in his back line. I know he used to blend the mesa with the Bogner for his main rhythm tone live.
    Interesting.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebulldog View Post

I saw this too and thought the same thing. Not that I know Mr. Tremonti very well, but I dont see him replacing the Boogies with anything. The Boogies always seem to be a core part of his rig. Other amps come and go, but a Recto is always in there.

Hmmm.
    -Bob

NOT MINE! I wish…
    These are from Rig Talk…

You can hear the speaker"suck" in that 2nd clip…..FFFUUUUUUUU!
    Not like the other kids...

Quote Originally Posted by DISTORT6 View Post
    NOT MINE! I wish…
    These are from Rig Talk…

You can hear the speaker"suck" in that 2nd clip…..FFFUUUUUUUU!
    Cool stuff. Can't wait to hear more.
    Plank Owner

Thanks for posting those clips, sounds good (for a phone recording.)
    Mine should arrive tomorrow, I will be "working" from home. Can't wait!
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Thanks for posting those clips, sounds good (for a phone recording.)
    Mine should arrive tomorrow, I will be "working" from home. Can't wait!
    Have fun "working" today.
    Plank Owner

That lower gain tone sounds promising. A lot of high gainers don't sound all that great with the gain that low. Guess I'll find out more on Monday.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, PS #4858 McCarty Singlecut, Floyd Custom 24