Thread: Problem with new Swamp Ash Studio :(

Problem with new Swamp Ash Studio :(

Hey guys

Hoping someone here can help

I finally got to take my new Swamp Ash Studio to band practice tonight just to find out my volume control isn't working properly

It attenuates the signal a little bit - but there is still plenty coming through.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or any info for the wiring on these? Typical values I should be seeing and what I should check?

The store I got it from is a decent drive away and I'd like to have a crack myself first if I can.

Cheers

Phil

here is the wire diagram http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schema...tudio_2012.pdf Here are the values I have on my studio.

Bridge--8.72k --tapped-5.74k
    Br/mid-4.2k -- Br tapped 3.36k
    Mid 7.98k --found it interesting the Mid was lower than the neck
    Mid/Nk 4.07k
    Nk 8.17k

Hope this helps

Friend of mine had similar issue with a Cu24 RW neck...ended up swapping out the Volume potentiometer, I believe. You may want to try cleaning the Volume pot first with electronics cleaner (spray type with needle)...but I think you will most likely need to replace the volume pot.

Yeah, volume pots are a $5 component and they do fail. It's ridiculous how some vintage type guys want unbroken solder joints on vintage guitars - the pots WILL break and it shouldn't devalue a guitar to change out a volume pot. It's easy to do and only should take a few minutes.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Is it just quiet or does it have a weird taper as you roll the knob down? Scratch or cut in/out?

Cheers for that guys, I will do some more testing after work.

I was still getting 8k reading across the jack when the volume control is turned off and measuring on the pot with all the wires connected - but now that I've disconnected all the wiring, the pot is behaving like normal.... will try and pick up a spare just in case and dig deeper tonight.

Appreciate all the help!

I should probably add a few things, its only an issue when trying to turn the volume down, it doesn't mute - theres still a significant amount of signal coming through.

Now that the pots out I'm getting the correct readings, I'm wondering if there might be a wiring issue somewhere.

Will let you know how I go

new pot all fixed

Cheers again guys

Quote Originally Posted by philby82 View Post
    new pot all fixed

Cheers again guys
    Nooo Problem...now go enjoy!!!!

Awesome!