Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NGD- PS#4615 "Afterglow"

That came out great!! Congrats man!
    -Matt

That is a serious wire job.
    Plank Owner

My name be scrambled ElrytNamrogo's Avatar
    Absolutely one of the coolest Private Stock builds I have ever had the pleasure of seeing....the concept is an excellent way to really make this one personal. Well done and congratulations!!!
    --Tyler G--
    2012 PRS Custom 24
    - Burnt Maple Leaf 10-top
    2008 PRS Custom 22 - Santana Yellow - Rosewood Neck - 10-top
    PRS SE Singlecut Trem - Tobacco Sunburst -Grover Locking Tuners - Bareknuckle Rebel Yells - Push/Pull Volume and Tone - Graphtech Self Lubricating nut

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Amazing - what a great tribute to your achievement! And all those pretty WIRES...do you have a bottle opener and a flashlight on that thing? Seriously awesome.
    1990 CE24 MT | 1991 CU24 | 1991 CE24 | 1992 CE24 MT
    1993 STD 24 | 1997 CE24 3pc MT | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 SE Akesson | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 S2 Mira | 2013 Hollowbody II
    2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2014 SE Zach Myers (incoming)

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Frog View Post
    This is what the inside looks like.

Pretty frightening. Eh?
    Looks like something someone from NASA would put together!
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    By the way..... Just to be clear..... I used the term 'Nerd' in the highest regard!!!
    Not only is it Nerd, it transcends it.

The name "Afterglow" has a story.

All the elements on this earth were forged in the cores of ancient stars that died long ago. When they died, the left behind a nebula that was lit by the afterglow of their fading glory. Eventually, some of those nebula clouds collected in the Great Nebula in Orion where our sun was born. Since matter and energy are related, everything on earth that ever was, is, and will be can be considered to be the gentle afterglow of those ancient stars. "Afterglow" is dedicated to all that have come before, are, and will be, because each had or will have a part in making what it becomes.

That was the idea. After seeing what the color was going to look like, I realized that it could also represent the natural phenomena, afterglow, that appears just after the sun dips below the horizon. That deep rose to pink color that appears on the horizon in all directions is called "afterglow."
    Last edited by Dancing Frog; 12-13-2013 at 01:41 PM.

All the elements on this earth were forged in the cores of ancient stars that died long ago. When they died, the left behind a nebula that was lit by the afterglow of their fading glory. Eventually, some of those nebula clouds of collected in the Great Nebula in Orion where our sun was born. Since matter and energy are related, everything on earth that ever was, is, and will be can be considered to be the gentle afterglow of those ancient stars. "Afterglow" is dedicated to all that have come before, are, and will be, because each had or will have a part in making what it becomes.
    Very cool, but it also reminds me of some those conversations friends and I had after hittin' the the water pipe back in the day. Deep Thoughts!
    2007 Ibanez JEM7V, LTD EC-1000VB, LTD GUS-600 EC
    PRS SE Torero - Limited Edition Solid Black with White Binding
    2012 PRS 408 Standard Trem - Natural with Pattern Thin Rosewood Neck
    2012 PRS Signature Limited Trem - Charcoal Burst

WOW! Congrats.
    Not like the other kids...

Dayum............................................. This Sumbich has got everything you could ever want!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

DGT Club Vice President
    Must be at least a NASA engineer to run that thing.

SO AWESOME!!! I love the color and NASA connection!

mgd

DGTs

All the elements on this earth were forged in the cores of ancient stars that died long ago. When they died, the left behind a nebula that was lit by the afterglow of their fading glory. Eventually, some of those nebula clouds collected in the Great Nebula in Orion where our sun was born. Since matter and energy are related, everything on earth that ever was, is, and will be can be considered to be the gentle afterglow of those ancient stars. "Afterglow" is dedicated to all that have come before, are, and will be, because each had or will have a part in making what it becomes.

That was the idea. After seeing what the color was going to look like, I realized that it could also represent the natural phenomena, afterglow, that appears just after the sun dips below the horizon. That deep rose to pink color that appears on the horizon in all directions is called "afterglow."
    Love it!!

I gotta go tell the hot chick across the hallway this stuff.......... Penny...... Penny..... Penny!!!

Seriously DF..... This is a crazy cool guitar..... Great vision!!

Everything about that guitar and the inspirations is awesome.

Hope the return goes smoothly.

I was severely impressed Herr Squid's Avatar

All the elements on this earth were forged in the cores of ancient stars that died long ago. When they died, the left behind a nebula that was lit by the afterglow of their fading glory. Eventually, some of those nebula clouds collected in the Great Nebula in Orion where our sun was born. Since matter and energy are related, everything on earth that ever was, is, and will be can be considered to be the gentle afterglow of those ancient stars.
    Heh! Very cool. Reminds me of watching "Cosmos" Sunday nights on PBS, which is when I was first exposed to that idea.

I still boggle at the fact that most everything heavier than gases came out of stars that exploded gazillions of years ago. We (and the guitars!) are made of stuff that came from very not-gentle events!

I repeat........WOW!
    Sh*tter's full

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Squid View Post
    Heh! Very cool. Reminds me of watching "Cosmos" Sunday nights on PBS, which is when I was first exposed to that idea.

I still boggle at the fact that most everything heavier than gases came out of stars that exploded gazillions of years ago. We (and the guitars!) are made of stuff that came from very not-gentle events!
    "We are all made of star stuff."
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    "We are all made of star stuff."
    Carl Sagan is my hero.
    Plank Owner

OUT
    FREAKING
    STANDING!

Hats off, George!
    (DC 245 Ted / DGT / 513 / Santana / McShootout / Cu22 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Sig LTD / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom) >> {C, H, Dallas, Original Sewell}

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Carl Sagan is my hero.
    Me too.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Well, Carl is my hero too.

I was over at PRS this afternoon meeting with Eric G. and Shawn. Eric got the electrical problems all fixed with Afterglow. It turned out that they had missed connecting up the center pick up to the 5 way. Oops. (If you know me, that's just my luck.) After that, all the EMI/EMC problems went away. So, now she is 100% functional as far as I can tell. How's that for customer service?

While Eric was finishing up, PRSh walks in to check the latest the Private Stocks for the second time. We talked for a little bit. It was a thrill to watch him work. A true genius. I would have stayed a little longer to listen, but I had to get back to work.

This evening, I spent the last hour or so getting to know Afterglow's magnetic side. Surprisingly, she's actually brighter than my 513 with the maple neck and fretboard. That's something that I hadn't anticipated. She's also lower in output than any other 513, but I hear more harmonic complexity. So, she seems to hit the front of the amp the same way. The only thing in my mind she needs is Curt Mangan strings to fill her out a bit.

I just want to thank all the guys responsible for making this concept a reality, Paul M., Tina B., Eric G., PRSh, Shawn, and the rest of the Private Stock Team. Thanks again. And Brian Meader, my woodpusher, for pushing me to go big.

Here's a couple shots of Afterglow in her case.

Last edited by Dancing Frog; 12-19-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Glad to see that you got everything worked out. Enjoy!