Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a PRS journey in pictures (OK some non-PRS too)

a PRS journey in pictures (OK some non-PRS too)

I realized I had several years worth of gear shots... I don't have any pictures of my first PRS, a PS grade (IMO) grey/black 10 quilt Custom 22 w/birds and trem. Lost pics of that in a PC crash many years ago (I bought it in 97-98).

This first one is probably 1999-2000 (the Santana is a '99 NAMM guitar):

re: the two Electra's on the right. The red LP clone was my first electric in the mid/late 70's. I owned a couple of other Electra's and still get a tiny credit for founding the original Electra guitars info site on the web.

then a big gap - lost tons of pics in a PC crash...

2005-ish:

2007:

2008:

later in 2008:

even later in 2008:

2009:

2010:

later in 2010:

2012:

Last edited by RedGuitars; 12-13-2013 at 09:27 AM.

2013:

I can say that I've slowed way down - mostly due to budget. But I'm GASing for a Kemper profiler and a Taylor T5Z, and a PRS DC245 trem whenever they come out...

Hey I remember that black Custom 22. I put the lampshades on that one! That's a long damn time ago...
    Check out my band, Missing Pieces!!!

2013 Wood Library DGT Armando's Amethyst - "Marie"
    2012 SE Angelus Standard - "Calvin"

I just realized I don't have any pictures of the first PRS I ordered, a vintage cherry Swamp Ash Special. Ordered with birds, it came in with moons but I took it anyway.

Shout out to some dealers represented, Rick Hogue, Garrett Park Guitars (NAMM Santana, purple McTrem), Brian Meader, WMC (NAMM Std 24 black cherry), Eric Cummins (Willcutt's, ME1), Shane Frame, Austin Locker, Robbie Gustin, GC North Dallas (PS #935 HBII), Jack Gretz, NE Music Center (513 Swamp Ash, Custom 22 semi-hollow Ltd), Jason Pickard, Music49 (Siggy Ltd). and many other forum brethren (including phillybri) for the multiple used PRS.

2001, jamming in my living room with my cousin (note cassette and VHS tapes in the background...).

You can't tell from the pics, because of my SRV tribute strap, but that's a PRS logo denim shirt (still have it) - from the 2nd unofficial PRS forum event at the factory, Pre-XPRS, a bunch of us toured the factory, Paul set up food at a restaurant on the bay, everyone brought their guitars, every table and bar top was covered with guitar cases. Paul and the Dragons played, and one of the employee bands. Open jam sponsored by Garrett Park at a local bar the next night (Paul played that too). They closed us down early because Maryland was in the NCAA tourney...

Out of sequence but I found the SAS and my first HBI... (~1999-2000)

and one from mid '90's, SRV and Hot Rod Deluxe (and Brandy):

Oops - sorry, the SRV was in the first pic, one of three sig guitars, the Santana, and the Electra 335 tree of life is an Elvin Bishop model.
    Last edited by RedGuitars; 12-13-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Very cool to see all of this, thanks for sharing!

Just curious, looks like the ME from 2008-2009 moved out of the collection, what did you not like about it?
    12 408 - 12 DGT - 09 Tremonti II - 98 CU24 - 97 CE22 - Mesa MarkIV - Kemper Profiler Amp - EVH 5150 III - PRS Archon

I loved it. I know where it is. And I'm pretty sure I have first right of refusal before it would sell to anyone else.

It was just a GAS thang... The ME brought in a Ted in trade and funded the 513SA (if I remember correctly).

Love the black Custom with birds!! That's right up my alley.

Interesting, since 2005 the red 3 pickup S type with the quilt is the only "keeper". What kind of guitar is that?
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

David Thomas McNaught G5 with rosewood neck. First wedding anniversary present from my wife in 2004.

I had custom ordered/spec'ed this guitar, had a deposit on it. After we got married, we had a lot of expenses setting up a new home, etc. My wife talked me into canceling the order. My dealer was sympathetic, said he loved my specs, would refund my deposit, but keep the guitar on order for his stock. I was bummed, but held some hope that I could still snag the guitar. Later, my wife asked about the deposit refund, it had never hit our credit card. I hated to go back to him... since the deposit hadn't been refunded, the guitar was still technically mine... but, I had to call him, and this time the deposit was refunded, the guitar was gone... on our first anniversary, I took my wife out to a nice restaurant, where she gave me an anniversary card with these (and other) pictures in it:

She was in cahoots with both DTM and my dealer...

Here it is with PS#935:

Last edited by RedGuitars; 12-13-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Cool! I see why it's the keeper of the bunch!
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

OK...somebody has to say it... your wife is HOT...and I didn't even see the "other pictures"...LOL...Very nice!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill SAS 513 View Post
    OK...somebody has to say it... your wife is HOT...and I didn't even see the "other pictures"...LOL...Very nice!!!!
    Well, she is. But the other pictures just meant more guitar build pics...

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuitars View Post
    Well, she is. But the other pictures just meant more guitar build pics...
    Gotcha...Kinda figured that...but its Friday and all...and I had afternoon coffee, so anything goes. My wife is pretty cool like that, too...
    (In my best Yoda voice)...Kinda Lucky, we are!! Mc Naught does more singlecuts now, I think??? And the SAS is awesome...Big fan of those!!
    Their necks are my favorites. Enjoy your weekend!!

Sweet! Still in love with your semi hollow trem...

That PS HB II is a stunner, too.

Very cool Mike. I really enjoyed going back through part of your PRS journey with you. Thanks for sharing!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Very cool stuff. It's making me want a red guitar.
    Plank Owner

I love seeing these journeys into guitar thinking!
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Wow! You've had some seriously nice guitars pass through your collection! That PS Semi Hollow is killer, do you still have it?
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Great pics, awesome PRS journey through time!