Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyson vacuums, anyone?

Dyson vacuums, anyone?

We've struggled for years trying to find a vacuum that wasn't too heavy but cleaned well. Our floors are a mixture of hardwoods, tile, carpet, and throw rugs. So far, no vac has been able to handle the job without causing great frustration.... until the Dyson Ball DC50 Animal arrived earlier in the week. It is not cumbersome to maneuver, has tremendous cleaning ability, and the canister is no-mess-breeze to empty. Best of all, it glides over the various floor surfaces without distress. It's so easy to use, it's almost fun. Almost makes me want to try it
    (DC 245 Ted / DGT / 513 / Santana / McShootout / Cu22 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Sig LTD / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom) >> {C, H, Dallas, Original Sewell}

Key word......."almost."
    Sh*tter's full

Don't do it Dave.....
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    Don't do it Dave.....
    Kinda like the law mower?
    Sh*tter's full

Dedicated to PRS
    I thought Dyson's were over rated too. However, when i got a job at a store that had one. I see why they're priced accordingly. 3 years and it never let us down. Sometimes I even sneak it home to clean my house. I know, I know, it's just a vacuum but dare I say, Dyson's make cleaning seem to go faster.

I actually have taken the man-happy-homemaker plunge and willingly vacuum our place with a Dyson, which made my wife all giddy with happiness. Initially.

Then it became the expectation.

Don't do it Dave!

My last house had a built-in vacuum system that had two motors in the garage, and you plugged a hose into the wall, a very powerful system that sucked up an array of weird stuff I'd find when changing the vacuum bag. Like...T-shirts, socks, marbles, small toys, etc. The Dyson works as well, but in a more practical way, since it won't suck up a T-shirt. Which is not a bad thing!
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I vacuum once a week with a Dyson ball I picked up a few years ago.
    Best vacuum I have ever owned, and I have bought many over my lifetime.
    Well worth the $$$ in my opinion.

I love to mop, carpet scares me.

Dyson hand dryer..omg 12 seconds and your hands are dry. Vacuums are amazing too
    2013 PRS DGT..
    2012 Ibanez RG 870 premuim
    2014 Prs se Clint Lowrey
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with Saxon cabinet .

I contemplated buying one 6it years ago but consumer reports didnt give it a very good rating.

Sure looks it would work well.

Mine works great.
    Suction is better than our Electrolux, but it does get too odd little spaces as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    I contemplated buying one 6it years ago but consumer reports didnt give it a very good rating.

Sure looks it would work well.
    Consumer Reports weighs cost, safety, basic operation and durability factors very heavily. But the things that often distinguish products, and make them more enjoyable to use, which also makes them more valuable to certain buyers, are often ignored in their tests, and/or not heavily taken into consideration.

Think about this: If Consumer Reports reviewed guitars, would PRS be recommended? After all, many cheaper guitars offer similar "functionality" at a lower price.

They Dysons work well as basic items, but that's hardly what makes them nice. If you operate one, there is none of that back and forth stuff that's like moving a lawn mower to get them to turn or do other handling maneuvers -- a flick of the wrist on the ball vacuums does it, they go very low to get under tables and counters, and the accessories are very well thought out. You get the work done a little faster, and that's a good thing.

I have their smaller ball vacuum and it works on our floors as well or better than a much larger and heavier machine. Yet I can take it up and down stairs without breaking my neck, and store it in a small space, too. Just a great little item.

I'd never go back to a regular vacuum.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 12-14-2013 at 10:13 PM.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Word.

+1 Dyson user here. Wish I'd bought one a LONG time ago!
    - cyclops

Too many PRS to list in 5 lines...

Wife wanted cats. One of my conditions was she bought a Dyson vacuum branded for pet hair cleanup. Not sure why'd you buy anything else from the way the wife raves about it. They can also be serviced at most vacuum shops since they are a very popular brand. I even bought a small one for car cleanup before I got a yearly membership to a car cleaner service.
    Plank Owner

After we got our Dyson upright (Target had a breast cancer awareness model that donated $50 to Susan Komen foundation, AND was discounted $50 over the same model), my wife decided she wanted the handheld, too. It's pretty amazing, and is so much better than any other hand-vac I've tried. The battery crapped out after the warranty was up, but Dyson still sent us another!

So worth the money.

Defender of the Universe HANGAR18's Avatar
    Dyson vacuums really suck! (Pun intended.) We have two of them. A tiny ball vac and a huge one with all the pet hair attachments. I wouldn't even consider a different brand of vacuum. Dyson all the way!
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

They make a pretty good chicken, too.
    Sh*tter's full

Our Ball Animal is about 8 years old this Christmas and it is still going strong. Not only does it bodaciously suck, it has survived my wife's abuse (the rest of the house, not so sure). Sure, I've had to replace several parts, and there's decorative bright red duct tape sealing the main tank, but it still keeps on running flawlessly. Two huge thumbs up for the best vacuum investment ever. (now, if our Toyota Sienna continues to survive the Wrath of Sarah like the Dyson, I'll have to buy color coordinated duct tape for it, too.)
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

We had a hoover windtunnel for about 10 years. It did a great job of getting up all our Labrador's hair. About 2/3rds of our house is tile or laminate and the last 3rd is carpet, and the Hoover did a good job on everything. In fact, it's funny (and a little sad), we bought the vacuum specifically to get the dog hair up after adopting him, and 10 years later when he died, the vacuum quit on us just a month or two later.

We bought another Windtunnel but it has been very disappointing. Does great on carpet, lousy the other 2/3rds of the house. We stayed away from Dyson because of the mixed reviews, but you guys seem to be consistent in your love for them.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana