Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NGD!! PS Koa for Kine!

That is a Klassy Kool Koa guitar! One of the best PS I have see this year.

The bling is just so well done on this guitar- outline birds to go with the purfling, pefect!

Awesome!!

Damn, that's about as perfect a guitar as I've ever seen. Even has the finest set of pickups ever to come out of PRS.

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Woundtight View Post
    That is a Klassy Kool Koa guitar! One of the best PS I have see this year.

The bling is just so well done on this guitar- outline birds to go with the purfling, pefect!
    When woundtight says it's one of the best...you know you've done well. All hail Da Kine!
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    When woundtight says it's one of the best...you know you've done well. All hail Da Kine!
    Thanks my man! I'm super humbled… Like most here, I spent a lot of time looking at a lot of guitars on this forum. So I really owe it to the community for being one of the best places on the net.

That is beautiful and elegant! And, great choice of pick ups to boot! Koa should give off a warmer, liquid tone ~~~ Congrats on your PS!
    Modern Eagle I SC Trem NOS (2007); 2005 Custom 24 Artist; 1994 Standard 24; 1996 Tom Anderson Drop Top Koa; 1985 48th St Custom Shop Custom Tele; 1983 Guild S281; 1956 Gibson ES225TD; Breedlove C25/SME; Dr. Z Mas 18NR; Rivera Quiana Studio; Peavey Classic 30.

I will say it again, I never get tired of looking at cool freakin guitars!

Kine, that turned out AWESOME!!! Great call on the 53/10 pups too...I'll bet those sound fantastic paired with the Koa!!

Congrats!!!
    "He's kind of like a bear at a campsite...you think he's cute and kind of want to hug him, but in the end you know he's dangerous and is going to stomp on your tent and eat all your food..." - martysnarf

I absolutely love that build! So classy.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Very classy guitar!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cwhenke View Post
    PRS has such amazing maple tops, but something like this stands out so much more because of it's simplicity...pure class and absolutely stunning.
    What he said and let me add that your pictures in this light lends a very warm
    and dreamy mood

Absolutely stellar build...Congrats

Perfect...such a classy PS!!! Great job!
    -Bob

Wow! Congrats. I also really dig the satin finish.

So Kine...

What's the tone report on a one piece Koa body? It has to sound freaking marvelous.
    Plank Owner

That is 1 of the most stunning, classy, and unique PS's I've seen! Well done & congrats! How much does it weigh ?We need clips!

Quote Originally Posted by jrw32 View Post
    That is 1 of the most stunning, classy, and unique PS's I've seen! Well done & congrats! How much does it weigh ?We need clips!
    +1 to all of these.
    Plank Owner

So Kine...

What's the tone report on a one piece Koa body? It has to sound freaking marvelous.
    So far I'm extremely happy with the tone! I'd say it has just a touch more presence than hog. They are pretty similar but the one big difference, and this may have to do with the pickups, is that the lower frequencies seem more in control. It doesn't have the muddiness that my McRosie has (with 57/08's). I want to say that the Koa helps keep the bass response tighter and more defined. For me it's a bit tough to tell if that's all due to the wood or is also a part of what the 53/10's do, since this is my first PRS with 53/10's. It certainly has plenty of mids with a bright top end that I've been rolling off a bit with the tone knob (which I typically do anyway since I like a jazzier/bluesier clean tone).

For me this sonic character really fits into my wheelhouse. I tend to play on the neck pickup most of the time in a pushed clean tone (some hair on it). So to have a less boomy/muddy/flabby bottom end is really what I want! I can use the tone knob to adjust the higher freq response depending on which amp I play. The bass stays very intact no matter how the tone knob is adjusted without becoming too honky/boxy. When I stick my neck out a bit and hit the distortion (Plimsoul, thanks LSchef!) and go to the bridge pickup, she just sings! This is definitely where she shines the most! There's tremendous richness, sustain and note definition here when I go all out. She cuts through beautifully! Again, similar to mahogany but imparting her own signature. Slightly brigher… Just a hair, though, and why I decided to pair the Koa with a Rosewood neck, to add a touch of roundness. The Ebony board is incredible, I feel, and seems to impart some piano-esque attack/note bloom. I'm sure I'll be able to describe it better in a few more days.

She weighs in at a slightly more voluptuous 8.7lbs.

I hope to have some clips soon!
    Last edited by Kine; 12-15-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Awesome build. Love the headstock. ENJOY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kine View Post
    So far I'm extremely happy with the tone! I'd say it has just a touch more presence than hog. They are pretty similar but the one big difference, and this may have to do with the pickups, is that the lower frequencies seem more in control. It doesn't have the muddiness that my McRosie has (with 57/08's). I want to say that the Koa helps keep the bass response tighter and more defined. For me it's a bit tough to tell if that's all due to the wood or is also a part of what the 53/10's do, since this is my first PRS with 53/10's. It certainly has plenty of mids with a bright top end that I've been rolling off a bit with the tone knob (which I typically do anyway since I like a jazzier/bluesier clean tone).

For me this sonic character really fits into my wheelhouse. I tend to play on the neck pickup most of the time in a pushed clean tone (some hair on it). So to have a less boomy/muddy/flabby bottom end is really what I want! I can use the tone knob to adjust the higher freq response depending on which amp I play. The bass stays very intact no matter how the tone knob is adjusted without becoming too honky/boxy. When I stick my neck out a bit and hit the distortion (Plimsoul, thanks LSchef!) and go to the bridge pickup, she just sings! This is definitely where she shines the most! There's tremendous richness, sustain and note definition here when I go all out. She cuts through beautifully! Again, similar to mahogany but imparting her own signature. Slightly brigher… Just a hair, though, and why I decided to pair the Koa with a Rosewood neck, to add a touch of roundness. The Ebony board is incredible, I feel, and seems to impart some piano-esque attack/note bloom. I'm sure I'll be able to describe it better in a few more days.

She weighs in at a slightly more voluptuous 8.7lbs.

I hope to have some clips soon!
    I certainly like what I am hearing here. Makes me want a Koa of my own.
    Plank Owner

I certainly like what I am hearing here. Makes me want a Koa of my own.
    I think everyone should try Koa. It being from Hawaii just gives it a different mojo/vibe imo. They are supposed to sonically mature exceptionally well.

I think an acoustic is my next stop. Taylor makes some visually stunning Koa acoustics. Not sure I've seen any acoustic PRSi using Koa…holding that thought... Just googled and PRS has solid acoustic specimen as well! Beautiful instruments imo.