Thread: DUMB QEUSTION

DUMB QEUSTION

CAN anyone pls tell me what it means to snip the caps on a tube amp,what does it mean to bias ur amp.see i have just bought a marshall DSL15C,and i was readin that someone with the same amp as mine was havin trouble with a fizzy sound at low volume,well then someone suggested to have the cap snipped,and to check the bias......thanks for the help ,in advance...new tube player....
    CUSTOM 24 BLUE CRAB FOG,CUSTOM 24 FLAME ORANGE,2012 DAVE NAVARRO,2011 TREMONTI, LINE 6 AMP 15 WATT,BLACKSTAR HT5RW X2/BLACKSTAR HT5MR/METAL AMP..Marshall dsl 15.prs coffee mug.prs Guitar picks.

I got nuth'in, other than it sounds like someone's about to get a vasectomy.........
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Most tube amps are made to be played at volume...they can be fizzy, farty and lifeless at lower volumes...you may want to try adding an attenuator to your rig before you start messing with your amps guts...plus there are voltages inside your amp that can kill you....take it to a good tech and have him look it over.
    -Bob

"Cutting the bright cap" is something that is typically referred to relative to a JCM800. It "mellows" the tone. I've not heard of people doing this to a DSL15, but maybe they have. In general though, some have complained about the DSL15 being "fizzy" at high gain. It's a high gain amp though, and that sort of goes with the territory. My experience with it is that it likes the gain setting below 9'oclock and it likes being cranked.