Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: PRS announces the high-gain Archon amplifier

  1. #21
    Senior Member themike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,769
    $1899 MAP
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

  2. #22
    Senior Member Michael B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Saratoga Springs New York
    Posts
    683
    NICE!!!! Sick sounding amp and a great price!! Once my last PRS purchase is paid off I'm getting one!! Curious...can we have the wood stained to any color? Gunna have to talk to my buddy Jack Gretz!!
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets
    2010 Mira Vintage Mahogany-Dragon 1 pup in bridge
    2012 Faded Blue Jean Burst 10 Top Tremonti
    2012 PRS Tremonti Custom SE Grey/Black PRS Phase 2 tuners, Mannmade 2000NOS Trem,Refret with DGT frets at PTC, USA nut, PRS USA pots and knobs

  3. #23
    Just one more... HighGain510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    NICE!!!! Sick sounding amp and a great price!! Once my last PRS purchase is paid off I'm getting one!! Curious...can we have the wood stained to any color? Gunna have to talk to my buddy Jack Gretz!!
    I believe they're all supposed to be charcoal, but I guess PRS does offer the whole PRS Custom Amp Design (CAD) program so you might be able to custom order something different for an upcharge? Hard to get more metal than charcoal, but I hear what you're saying, color option would have been sweet as I had a custom 100w 2-Channel H that had a Rainforest face plate that looked SICK!






    -Matt

  4. #24
    Senior Member jfb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    4,833
    Rainforest is a fantastic color. Green can certainly be metal...Obsidian anyone?!
    Plank Owner

  5. #25
    Senior Member themike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,769
    My understanding is that for 2014, the Archon will not be customizable. My guess is they may open it up to CAD where you can order different tolex's and what not. With that being said, might be worth an email to PTC to see if they'll do a little refinish action!
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

  6. #26
    Senior Member yankeebulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Rainforest is a fantastic color. Green can certainly be metal...Obsidian anyone?!
    I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about Obsidian. I despise green but this is growing on me.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, Ted SC245 Willcutt's WL Limited, Paul's Guitar
    PRS Amps - Archon

  7. #27
    Senior Member jfb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    4,833
    Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    My understanding is that for 2014, the Archon will not be customizable. My guess is they may open it up to CAD where you can order different tolex's and what not. With that being said, might be worth an email to PTC to see if they'll do a little refinish action!
    I also heard something like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by yankeebulldog View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about Obsidian. I despise green but this is growing on me.
    Right. It's pretty gnarly. I could see doing an AP with it.
    Plank Owner

  8. #28
    Senior Member yankeebulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Right. It's pretty gnarly. I could see doing an AP with it.
    I'm considering color options for a Floyd Custom 24. The Violet is the main contender right now. Don't think I could commit to Obsidian.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, Ted SC245 Willcutt's WL Limited, Paul's Guitar
    PRS Amps - Archon

  9. #29
    Senior Member vchizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,182
    Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    My understanding is that for 2014, the Archon will not be customizable. My guess is they may open it up to CAD where you can order different tolex's and what not. With that being said, might be worth an email to PTC to see if they'll do a little refinish action!
    If that is the case, it is really strange they didn't put a boost on it.
    I'm OK with that cause I've never had one on any amp I've owned, but always thought it was a great feature on the 2 channel.

  10. #30
    Senior Member jfb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    4,833
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeebulldog View Post
    I'm considering color options for a Floyd Custom 24. The Violet is the main contender right now. Don't think I could commit to Obsidian.
    To my eyes Violet is incredibly close to a few PS colors. Great color.

    Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    If that is the case, it is really strange they didn't put a boost on it.
    I'm OK with that cause I've never had one on any amp I've owned, but always thought it was a great feature on the 2 channel.
    Can't say I look at the ARCHON and want for anything. I suppose a boost would be cool but I don't desire one.
    Plank Owner

  11. #31
    Feast like a sultan, I do QueenCityGuitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    I wish there was a lower wattage one offered.
    Not all of us play on stage.
    A nice 5 watt one would be great, kind of like my Blackstar HT5R-H.
    Quote Originally Posted by WEDGE View Post
    I have been BEGGING for a lower wattage fire breather for a long time............
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Right there with you guys. Maybe 2015? I hope.
    For those who are concerned about the volume from a 50 or 100 watt amp, have you tried using an attenuator to control the volume?

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    201
    I was talking with my dealer and PRS about a CAD amp for clean tone. I love my HX/DA for dirt and it takes pedals extremely well, but I have a flaky Fender I use for creamy cleans. They were telling me hang tight something was in the works. This be it! Hopefully it'll meet my needs and I can dump this Fender before I need to send it off for yet another repair (tube socket solder cracking... really Fender???)

    As for boost - I just use a pedal (Xotic EP) and kind of prefer that to an internal boost. You have to step on something anyway, and there are all sorts of boost pedals that give you more options tone-wise than an internal would.
    _______________________________
    Michael O.

  13. #33
    Senior Member themike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,769
    Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    If that is the case, it is really strange they didn't put a boost on it.
    I'm OK with that cause I've never had one on any amp I've owned, but always thought it was a great feature on the 2 channel.
    Agreed but I think they were smart about this since the distortion and clean channel are both AMAZING, they realized a lot of guys generally use their own pedal in the loop for boost and verb. I mean most people I know that have amps with lead channels still prefer to dial it mild and throw an EP or OCD in front of it for that extra hair.
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

  14. #34
    Senior Member vchizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,182
    Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    Agreed but I think they were smart about this since the distortion and clean channel are both AMAZING, they realized a lot of guys generally use their own pedal in the loop for boost and verb. I mean most people I know that have amps with lead channels still prefer to dial it mild and throw an EP or OCD in front of it for that extra hair.
    Very true. I use the EP quite a bit...ok, just about every song at some point. PRS usually tries to cover all the possible bases, that's the only reason I found it odd.

  15. #35
    408 Birds in the Sky megaboogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    191
    Floyd CU24 Obsidian with \m/ pickups plugged into Archon will be totally metal!

  16. #36
    Senior Member andy474x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    If that is the case, it is really strange they didn't put a boost on it.
    I'm OK with that cause I've never had one on any amp I've owned, but always thought it was a great feature on the 2 channel.
    That is a little surprising for this kind of amp. I thought it was a great add on to the custom.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

    SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

  17. #37
    Senior Member themike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,769
    Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    That is a little surprising for this kind of amp. I thought it was a great add on to the custom.
    There's always Archon II - The ReReckoning coming in 2016 LOL
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

  18. #38
    Senior Member jfb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    4,833
    Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    There's always Archon II - The ReReckoning coming in 2016 LOL
    ARCHON II? Mine is already preordered.
    Plank Owner

  19. #39
    Name Manglin' Putz alantig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    ARCHON II? Mine is already preordered.
    You've only preordered up to the II? Poser!
    Alan

    "I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

  20. #40
    Does anyone know which speakers are used in those 4x12s?
    Alex

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •