Thread: Brent Mason sig for rock/hard rock?

Brent Mason sig for rock/hard rock?

Hi guys

despite all your help, my gear conundrum is still.... Conundrumming...

Now I am looking hard at the Brent Mason. It was suggested to me in my original cry for help (http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...guys-and-girls) , but I happily skipped over the suggestion at the time. However, a seed seems to have been planted in my oh so impressionable head...

I do have one concern though... How is the BM sig for rock tones up to and including hard rock...? It's for recording my own songs in my own home studio, and mainly rhythm guitar.

any light you can shed is greatly appreciated as always

The 408s in the BM are excellent for rock tones. I don't think there is any kind of music this guitar couldn't cover.

Cool! Do you own one, or have you tried it?

Yes, I have a Brent Mason and an NF3 model. I normally play with a mild gain tone but from time to time I crank the gain and get my 80s metal going on and the Brent sounds awesome. You could easily play any type of music with the Brent.
    Ive always played a Strat and this model style of PRS fits me like a glove. They're very comfortable to play.

You should post a pic of BM so we know it's real.

Posted a pic in this thread. Here:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...-my-BM-company

They're real, and they're spectacular!

Well... It seems I've come full circle of sorts. This whole thing started when I said to my girlfriend that I might go on a business trip to the states. She asked me if maybe I should pick up a guitar while I was there (she's a keeper!). No business trip after all, but of course I couldn't just leave the thought of getting a real US PRS...

First one that came to mind was Paul's guitar. From that one to the 408, then the studio, then the 513, then the Swamp Ash Studio - and now finally back to the 408 pickups, including the narrow bridge, of Pauls guitar; albeit now in the Brent Mason.

I think this is what I am going to get (not the first time I say these words!). Definitely been a journey :-)! And one that ended somewhere TOTALLY different than what I imagined. I don't play country, wasn't looking for a signature guitar, wanted a set neck with a stop tail, the wonderful PRS violin carve and some flamed eye candy to go with the playability etc... I may have grown up a bit during these last weeks. It is different in almost every respect than what I set out looking for. Strange how life plays these games on us. Good thing I've kept my trigger-happy left-click finger off the "add to cart" button thus far.

Of course, I may take another carrousel ride before deciding on anything.

And I may have to get something with narrow fields down the line...

Anyway; once again, thank you for your input. Further comments are VERY welcome; do your best to per- or dissuade me to/from the BM.

And apologies in advance for any further threads I may start in the near future regarding my gear conundrum :-)
    Last edited by Michael_DK; 12-30-2013 at 08:01 PM.

I'll chime in regarding the BM for hard rock tones. I've used this for a 70s hard rock/metal ensemble I played in over the summer. I used it for more than a few tunes like UFO, Sabbath, Kiss, Rush, Zep. Etc. it pulled off these types of tones very well. I was primarily using a Marshall SL-5 combo which is high gain but not over the top metal. It's very versatile with these pickups and even more so than the 408 guitars if you prefer the 2 and 4 position strat tones over the neck + bridge tones. I will say I still prefer the full sized 408 bridge for very high gain modern metal tones. To me it has more gain and compression than the BM.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, PS #4858 McCarty Singlecut, Floyd Custom 24