Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

Thread: The Official 2014 New Year Resolution Thread

  1. #1
    Senior Member jfb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    4,831

    The Official 2014 New Year Resolution Thread

    For 2013 I made a new year resolution list. It was my first time doing so and I think it helped me stay on task throughout the year. I will be reviewing my list and creating a new one before 1-1-14. This year I would like to track progress on the list here and use that as motivation to get items completed. I encourage anyone who wants to get in on this do so.

    Expect my list soon. Here's to a productive and fun 2014.
    Plank Owner

  2. #2
    A♥ hoards guitars A♥ rugerpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    deep in the raspberry...
    Posts
    2,916
    I resolve not to resolve.

    crap on a cracker - broke it before I finished the sentence!

    [music theory humor]

    ... probably a good thing though, as I'd never get back to the root when playing!

    [/music theory humor]

    Ok - I'll think about it...
    Last edited by rugerpc; 12-30-2013 at 10:24 AM.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

    ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

  3. #3
    Must get more PRSesezeses.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

  4. #4
    Senior Member veinbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    GTA, or PA, or vacation
    Posts
    2,085
    Convince jfb that The great white north is worth a visit.
    Last edited by veinbuster; 12-30-2013 at 07:07 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member jfb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    4,831
    Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    Convince jfb that The great white north is worth a visit.
    No idea how I've managed to fail at this task. It's going on 2014's list.
    Plank Owner

  6. #6
    Senior Member jfb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    4,831
    Here the tale of the tape on my 2013 list. Green is complete, yellow is partial, red is not even close.

    Visit my dealer's shop. I'm in STL and he's in Canada. I have never been.
    I felt I came close to planning this a few times, but it simply never happened. The year was pretty intense and I didn't commit.

    Visit 3 different forums members for the weekend. Must be separate trips and separate states.
    This was a go. Big thanks to those that had me out and to those that offered. I will catch up to a number of you soon.

    Raise $5,000 for the Humane Society of Missouri.
    I ended up donating half and had an employer match it to meet the goal. I felt raising the money is different than simply donating it, but perhaps in the end it's close enough for a green mark.

    Do something measurable to help promote PRS. Maybe you guys can help me think of something. I have a few things in mind.
    Post one valuable thread a week as per my agreement with Hans for the 7 of Hearts.

    I am going green on this one. I think the soda tab contest, foosball shirts, and me running a muck at Experience getting people to register on the forums was was a riot. I think those things had measurable results. I doubt I had a new thread created every week, but I certainly pushed hard to be a larger part of the forum.

    Work through one music book/video a month.
    This was way more time consuming than I thought. I did 3 or so books/videos and honestly there's plenty from each that I never mastered.

    Take at least one music lesson a week.
    Not even close. Didn't take a one really. I reached out to a number of instructors and it always fell apart. I need to figure something out for this one going forward.

    Give someone a guitar.
    This happened. It wasn't an amazing guitar, but it was amazing to see their reaction. Win.

    Tag team a PS with someone. I think it would be great to watch someone else build a PS and have them be around for my build.
    This didn't happen, but it will soon. I can feel it.

    Start painting / making art again. Get said art into galleries and get at least 6 sales. I have a BFA with a specialization in print making. Before I finished my subsequent degrees I lost all of the art work I had created in college due to an issue at a storage unit. I lost every newspaper clipping, slide, photograph...everything. I did not have a digital camera then. I wager most people didn't. I haven't gotten back on the horse since. It is time.
    Going with a partial on this. I have sketches, I have plans, I have materials, I have interested buyers for a series of paintings. I just need to move.

    Finish my project studio and record some songs.
    Fail.

    Learn Logic 9 and ToonTrack Superior Drummer.
    Fail.

    Score at least 5 voice gigs. I have always been told I should be in radio or do voice work.
    Some might say recording voicemails for people for $5 each is cheating. I say it was a creative way to mark an item green!

    Hang out with J. Hayes. Turns out he lives really close to me.
    I am going green on this one even though it was unintentional one of the two times. I saw J. at Eddie's and we hung out and then I saw him at a PRS event and we talked shop plenty. Not quite hanging out, but come on the dude is never around the STL area.

    Get a tattoo with Paul Miles from Jeff Gogue. Yes, seriously.
    I have made some inquiries. The wait list is quite long, but Paul is up for it.

    Get in significantly better shape by my birthday in May. My wife does both power lifting and bikini fitness competitions. She is in amazing shape. I need to step it up a notch...or two. More on this later after I get an idea of my goals.
    I did get in significantly better shape by Experience. I am marking is go. Deal with it.

    Start a new business. I have some ideas.
    My work load is enough for most anyone. I gave up on this for 2013.

    So what's on my 2014 list??? I am still working on it...I will have it posted tomorrow at the latest.
    Plank Owner

  7. #7
    Senior Member veinbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    GTA, or PA, or vacation
    Posts
    2,085
    That was a massive list jfb.
    I call it a solid victory.

  8. #8
    chief Shawn@PRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1985
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    3,428
    Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    That was a massive list jfb.
    I call it a solid victory.
    JFB could rest on the laurels of the foosball shirt alone!

    I have only one resolution, to become a better version of myself

  9. #9
    Senior Member veinbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    GTA, or PA, or vacation
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    JFB could rest on the laurels of the foosball shirt alone!

    I have only one resolution, to become a better version of myself
    Yes he could.

    I start the year with intentions much like yours - I mostly want to be a good person.

  10. #10
    2014 Resolutions:

    Um...
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

  11. #11
    Just a member JustRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    1,320
    I'm just hoping to keep on going one more year. Everything else is a bonus.

  12. #12
    Senior Member geese_com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    770
    I know this is an overused one but I would like to get in better shape by September.

    One of my childhood friends is getting married in the Toronto area and I'd like to look good

  13. #13
    Senior Member veinbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    GTA, or PA, or vacation
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by geese_com View Post

    One of my childhood friends is getting married in the Toronto area and I'd like to look good
    Yeah, because Toronto is full of beautiful people.

  14. #14
    Name Manglin' Putz alantig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,084
    Uma Thurman was once in Toronto, and they're still living off that visit.

    Unfortunately, Toronto is no longer full of Sam The Record Man - what a great store that was. We honeymooned in Toronto, and when we checked into our hotel, I pulled the curtains open and was greeted by that gorgeous giant neon album. A few years later, I drove to Toronto - five hours - just to go record shopping. Yeah.

    I love TO. I need to get back someday, if only to do this (go for it Gian!)...

    Alan

    "I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

  15. #15
    Almost was a FG22 owner.. WEDGE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Too close to the casinos in CT.........
    Posts
    1,548
    Eat less

    play more

    be around for my family more
    ​Secretary of Crackwood Addiction

  16. #16
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    5,156
    Learn to sight-read so I can get that cruise ship gig and die someplace warm... Bah.. I say that every year!

  17. #17
    Senior Member slowro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    362
    Lose a lot of weight, keep going to the gym and lifting, stop spending money on rubbish and buy at least 2 guitars!

    Wish me luck

  18. #18
    Senior Member jfb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    4,831
    Last year was the first time I had made a list. A friend of mine usually makes a list fails at most of them so I thought it would be cool to see what I would do. I made last year's list pretty quick. I was trying to be in the list making moment. I felt pretty solid about last years list so I took the same approach this year. I tried not to list carry over items since most of those I will try and do in some form or another this year, but did list a few as I felt them worth mentioning.

    • Visit each of the following people for a weekend. Hans. veinbuster. wound tight. martysnarf & JustRob (kind of cheating with this one cause they are near PRS, yes I am an addict).
    • Go on a cruise. I am thinking somewhere cold. I have never been on a cruise.
    • Take a vacation with the wife. We have never really been on a vacation together. We normally do our own thing.
    • Visit Canada. I will likely get this one knocked out while visiting veinbuster.
    • Take music lessons. This is a carry over. It was frustrating trying to find someone last year. Maybe I will do better this year.
    • Do another round of shirts for Experience. I had fun helping with the foosball shirts and think it was great we stood out like we did. I had plenty of non-forum members asking about them and I successfully talked a number of them into registering there on the spot with my iPhone.
    • Better promote the forum while at Experience. The forum is a cool place and there was no mention of it at Experience other than our shirts. I could see getting on stage to talk about it for a few minutes or maybe some promo item placed in the goodie bag.
    • Spec a guitar with someone. This is a carry over. I'd really like the guitars to be similar somehow. I want them to look like siblings at the very list.
    • Build a DG rig. The guitar, the amp, the pedals. It's a very different rig than I would play otherwise. Lately I find myself playing my most non-metal amp the most and the gain is way, way down. I am also quite fond of the DGT after having played a few.
    • Get an acoustic and learn to play a Martin Simpson song. The stars will really have to align for either of these to happen.
    • The day job is going to take a lot of my time in 2014. I am going to try and get 3 certifications in at least 2 areas for work.



    Not sure this list is as exciting as last year's, but it's what I made. Here's to 2014!
    Plank Owner

  19. #19

  20. #20
    Senior Member geese_com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Last year was the first time I had made a list. A friend of mine usually makes a list fails at most of them so I thought it would be cool to see what I would do. I made last year's list pretty quick. I was trying to be in the list making moment. I felt pretty solid about last years list so I took the same approach this year. I tried not to list carry over items since most of those I will try and do in some form or another this year, but did list a few as I felt them worth mentioning.

    • Visit each of the following people for a weekend. Hans. veinbuster. wound tight. martysnarf & JustRob (kind of cheating with this one cause they are near PRS, yes I am an addict).
    • Go on a cruise. I am thinking somewhere cold. I have never been on a cruise.
    • Take a vacation with the wife. We have never really been on a vacation together. We normally do our own thing.
    • Visit Canada. I will likely get this one knocked out while visiting veinbuster.
    • Take music lessons. This is a carry over. It was frustrating trying to find someone last year. Maybe I will do better this year.
    • Do another round of shirts for Experience. I had fun helping with the foosball shirts and think it was great we stood out like we did. I had plenty of non-forum members asking about them and I successfully talked a number of them into registering there on the spot with my iPhone.
    • Better promote the forum while at Experience. The forum is a cool place and there was no mention of it at Experience other than our shirts. I could see getting on stage to talk about it for a few minutes or maybe some promo item placed in the goodie bag.
    • Spec a guitar with someone. This is a carry over. I'd really like the guitars to be similar somehow. I want them to look like siblings at the very list.
    • Build a DG rig. The guitar, the amp, the pedals. It's a very different rig than I would play otherwise. Lately I find myself playing my most non-metal amp the most and the gain is way, way down. I am also quite fond of the DGT after having played a few.
    • Get an acoustic and learn to play a Martin Simpson song. The stars will really have to align for either of these to happen.
    • The day job is going to take a lot of my time in 2014. I am going to try and get 3 certifications in at least 2 areas for work.



    Not sure this list is as exciting as last year's, but it's what I made. Here's to 2014!
    Good luck checking off your list! They all sound great and pretty attainable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •