Thread: Floyd Custon 24: Which sustain block used?

Floyd Custon 24: Which sustain block used?

Maybe Shawn can tell us a little bit about the development of the new Floyd Custom 24:

When I meet Paul on his European tour, he talked a lot about applying the Rules of Tone on every single part of the guitar and always trying to find materials that substract not so much from the tone of the instrument than others.

As Floyd Rose meanwhile offers a variety of materials for their sustain blocks, were the Rules of Tone also applied in the development of the new Floyd Custom 24 and the "best" material chosen accordingly or do you just use the default sustain block?
    2002 McRosie Amber
    2006 TREMONTI Dark Cherry Sunburst
    2009 SCF IRW McCarty Sunburst

Mere speculation, but I'm guessing the standard Floyd Rose sustain block is going to be used. Plus, when you get to changing aspects of Floyd bridges, you'll likely end up changing quite a bit (titanium saddles, stainless hardware, larger sustain blocks made of tungten/brass/aluminum/titanium) and at that point PRS might wanna just license the patents and make their own variant. Other companies have! The more interesting thing, to me, will be whether they use the original Floyd Rose or the Floyd Rose 1000 on these guitars. Gibson has used the 1000 on more expensive models, as have other companies. I honestly don't find them to be inferior units, though I know some people do.

Quote Originally Posted by SausageofPower View Post
    ...The more interesting thing, to me, will be whether they use the original Floyd Rose or the Floyd Rose 1000 on these guitars. Gibson has used the 1000 on more expensive models, as have other companies. I honestly don't find them to be inferior units, though I know some people do.
    The US models (NS-14/15, Floyd Custom 24) have the Original, the SE model has the MIK http://www.prsguitars.com/se_floyd_custom24/index.php
    2002 McRosie Amber

I wish they would go with the Gotoh Floyd like Suhr has done. That one is far superior to any others on the market right now.

Quote Originally Posted by _pete_ View Post
    I wish they would go with the Gotoh Floyd like Suhr has done. That one is far superior to any others on the market right now.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by juka View Post
    The US models (NS-14/15, Floyd Custom 24) have the Original, the SE model has the MIK http://www.prsguitars.com/se_floyd_custom24/index.php
    Ahh, missed that part. Well good on PRS! Shoulda known.

If you're keeping it stock for stock, sure. Personally, I change out components (offset 1/2" brass block, titanium inserts, etc) and I'll let anyone freely compare one of my tweaked Floyds to a Gotoh unit (don't get me wrong, I love other Gotoh parts).
    Last edited by SausageofPower; 01-02-2014 at 10:03 PM.

Well, as Gotoh has a large manufacturing in Korea, where they do a lot of OEM work (which I found out when the "original" Gotoh tuners on my highend Jackson said "Chin Ho Korea" on the inside), the 1000 series might be even made there ;-)

I know that both Suhr and Musicman said that the Gotoh FR was far superior to the original when they switched over back in the days, BUT if I remember correctly both used the original for quite some time, then had some sort of legal trouble with the FR corp. and just shortly after that "suddenly" found out that the Gotoh was far superior. Strange coincidence
    Others say that this superiority only refers to the original Edge, which Gotoh developped and manufactured for Ibanez exclusively

But all this was in the past. If we take a look at who claims to built the best FR today, there are:

• Floyd Rose with their Titanium model
    • Schaller, who claim that after manufacturing the original FloydRose for decades, they put all their knowhow into the development of their new Lockmeister and
    • highend hardware manufacturer ABM, who make their Katana model mostly out of bell brass.

Which brings me back to my original question when I started this thread:

@ Shawn: Can you tell us a little bit about the development of the Floyd Custom24?
    2002 McRosie Amber