Thread: Hollowbody II Questions

Hollowbody II Questions

Hey there! I'm new to all things PRS. I have drooled over them for over 15 years but am finally ready to buy. I have just a few questions that I can't seem to get answered at the local dealers and I am hoping I can get some help here. Any answers to my questions would be fantastic!

Hollowbody II - Is this a true hollowbody or a semi-hollow? I've seen it listed as both on various websites.

What magnets are in the 57/08's? Alnico 5's?

Antique Natural - Is this the same as Old Natural, Antique Natural and Vintage Natural?

How is the neck on the HB II? I have only been able to play one of these once but fell in love immediately 4 years ago. I'm not sure...it may have been a HB I. No local dealers around have them in stock to play now. Are there other PRS's that will have a similar neck that I can try out before purchasing just to get a feel for the HB II? I keep reading the HB II as having a "wide fat neck" which does not sound good to me--makes my thumb ache just reading that description.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

It's a true hollow body. The only thing inside is a post beneath the bridge that connects the top to the back.

Wide Fat isn't really all that wide or fat. The nut width is the same as Gibson or modern Fender electrics, and the thickness is only moderately fat. All the HB's had the W/F profile until they changed to the Pattern shape, which they all have now. I haven't played the Pattern, but on paper it's the same as W/F.
    --Garrett--

Thanks, Garrett! This really helps. I should be good with this neck then. I was really hoping it was a true hollow--perfect!

I could be wrong, but I thought the Hollowbody II (doublecut version) was semihollow, with a center block. The singlecut IS fully hollow, except for a piece just below the bridge.

I'm not sure on the magnets. They are fantastic lower output PAF-style pups, though. I'm a big fan--installed them in a Mira and an old SC HB Standard, and they came in my SC HB II.

The necks aren't huge. Wide Fat is a little misleading if you don't have any experience with PRS necks.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I could be wrong, but I thought the Hollowbody II (doublecut version) was semihollow, with a center block. The singlecut IS fully hollow, except for a piece just below the bridge.

I'm not sure on the magnets. They are fantastic lower output PAF-style pups, though. I'm a big fan--installed them in a Mira and an old SC HB Standard, and they came in my SC HB II.

The necks aren't huge. Wide Fat is a little misleading if you don't have any experience with PRS necks.

Good luck and let us know what you get!
    No, the double cut and single cut hollow bodies are constructed the same way, with a center post, under the bridge…

You can kinda' see it here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86744120.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	1147

Hope this helps…

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Nice picture of the body! Thanks!

Thanks, Jamie. Not sure why I had that impression.

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    All the HB's had the W/F profile until they changed to the Pattern shape, which they all have now. I haven't played the Pattern, but on paper it's the same as W/F.
    I've owned Starlas that were both W/F and Pattern... they are not the same in reality. The old W/F is definely bigger with wider 'shoulders.' But there are other threads on this.

I think fundamentally, message to OP is to try them if both types are available as he may prefer one over the other...
    HBII (faded gray black 'double' 10-top), HB12 (black gold), NF3 (antique white/birds), 25th ann. Mira 245 (frost blue metallic), KL1812, Starla (vintage cherry, IRW neck, birds), 2 x 2011 'Stripped' 58 (blue crab blue & goldtop)

Ok. One more question...

I am playing a HB I. Is there much of a difference in necks between the HB I and HB II? I wish I could play a HB II but as I said, there are none around.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarNate View Post
    Ok. One more question...

I am playing a HB I. Is there much of a difference in necks between the HB I and HB II? I wish I could play a HB II but as I said, there are none around.
    Nope, the necks are the same.
    --Garrett--

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Nope, the necks are the same.
    Awesome! Thanks a bunch. You have been very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Thanks, Jamie. Not sure why I had that impression.
    The 25th anniversary Hollowbody II CB did indeed have a center block. Maybe that's what you were thinking about?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarNate View Post
    Antique Natural - Is this the same as Old Natural, Antique Natural and Vintage Natural?
    I have an Archtop IV in vintage natural and a Hollowbody II in Antique Natural and I'd have to say that they're very different. Vintage Natural uses a very subtle tone for the burst while Antique Natural is quite a lot darker. It's still much lighter than most bursts though and the burst is applied to the neck and headstock as well, which is very cool.

Of course, one important feature of these guitars is that all parts are solid wood, not some form of plywood, as the tops are with Gibsons. Milled to a uniform thickness on a CNC, they are as close to an old school hand carved violin as you can get in a guitar. I love them. I had a HBII, and now have a HBI Spruce with piezo. The features are slightly different as the model evolves, but they are really great guitars. Can't speak to the colors or pickup specs.
    Last edited by Brewer; 01-06-2014 at 01:18 PM.
    Almost everything you need to know about life is on the Internet; everything else you can find in a Yes song.

Quote Originally Posted by ADP View Post
    I have an Archtop IV in vintage natural and a Hollowbody II in Antique Natural and I'd have to say that they're very different. Vintage Natural uses a very subtle tone for the burst while Antique Natural is quite a lot darker. It's still much lighter than most bursts though and the burst is applied to the neck and headstock as well, which is very cool.
    Very interesting.