Thread: SE tremolo help

SE tremolo help

I have a 2013 Tremonti SE that I had setup from Sweetwater.com. I had the nut changed to tusq and setup with 11's. So, today I did a string change and was going to set it up to leave in drop D, half down. Once I did, the only issue I have had is the D (C#) string (not the dropped D), is returning back very sharp EVERY time I use the Trem. Every string is intonated well. I have even tried returning the guitar to standard tuning, and still the same issue with the D string. I've used Big Bends, stretched the strings properly, my action is 4/64 on both bass/treble and my under string radius guide is matched up perfectly for a 10" board. I plan to get some machine oil tomorrow and try the suggestion from the website of a touch of oil on the scews, as I didn't have any today. If I have no luck with that, what's next?? Please help, love the guitar especially with the USA tremonti pups installed today--but wanna use the bar!!!

BTW, no issue using Trem when received from sweetwater. Also, today stable tuning was achieved in drop D half down and standard, so long as I didn't use the bar after proper adjustments. And, I have not touched the knife edge. Thanks.

this sounds like the string tension is too high.
    you'll have to raise the trem tension with the 2 screws in the trem cavern
    and loosen the strings a bit til it stays in tune.
    this may need several tries.
    Bavarian Barbarian

Did they know you were putting on 11's? Sounds like that string is binding bad in the nut slot. It would go sharp if you use bar because the string won't return to its proper position since it's caught in the nut.

that's possible too...
    a drop of oil in the nut is worth a try.
    Bavarian Barbarian

Have used Big Bends in nut and on saddles...and yes, sweetwater set it up with 11's, and the nut didn't bind when I recd it. (Changed to Tusq nut at sweetwater)

Thanks for the replies. I put a drop of oil on the D string screw, and adjusted the claw in the back...I also changed to D string to be safe. Verdict is--now in drop D, half down and u can stand on the bar without it going out of tune. Not bad for my first trem setup!! Thanks for the help guys! (Trem now sits perfectly parallel to the body, unlike the severe uptilt when received from sweetwater)

Bavarian Barbarian

In the future when changing strings,change one string at a time,not all at once.A floating trem can be a pain in the *** to setup and get in tune.
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

lol, and never clean your fretboard...
    Bavarian Barbarian

I'm curious about a similar subject. I have a Tremonti custom setup with 11-48's in drop D, but I'm thinking of going down to drop C and 12-56? Of course slotting the nut and adjusting the the setup is in order. Will the groves on the saddles fit a 12-56 set? And what's everyone's opinion on maybe 12-52's? Wound or plain G? Not trying to take over the thread, just curious. Thanks.

Or maybe a 11-52's in Drop C?

I prefer to remove all strings at once when I do a setup, in order to polish the frets, fretboard, etc., etc. so "one string at a time" isn't really an option for me. Now that I have my first Tremolo setup under my belt, the next one won't be nearly as difficult (nor will I have to install new pups first).

Regarding the "drop C", I'm using EB cobalt 11-48's and they feel and sound great! I have a pretty heavy attack, so I like a bit of relief in my neck anyway and figure that also helps prevent fret buzz esp de-tuned. So far, I can only hear the slightest fret buzz from time to time on the dropped C# string when unplugged, but I rarely play unplugged (i.e. most always thru amp, headphones, etc.). I've yet to slot a nut or file anything on the bridge, but I would definately think some adjustment would be needed in going to anything in the 52-54 range--obviously at the nut, but at the bridge also. I've only been setting up my guitars for a year or so now, so there are certainly more folks better suited to answer you.

Thanks for the advice! P.S. Take some old picks and glue them together to block the trem in a close to level position. Or you could use a small piece of wood that's the right size. Floyd Upgrades.com also sells a pretty cool adjustable brass trem block too. Just a few ideas to help.