Thread: Help needed to identify a possible early PRS.

Question Help needed to identify a possible early PRS.

Hi PRS Members,

A couple of days ago I bought a guitar off eBay and it was advertized as an 80's PRS passed down from a relative to the seller. I did a few searches, actually spent quite a lot of time, and it does look like a model from the era with rare butterflies inlays on the fretboard and the neck is either from a lefty or it was factory issue. I intend to remove the lousy finish done to it and would very much like to restore the finish to the original one. Hopefully there will still be traces somewhere under the pickups or neck joint. I will get the guitar Friday and will do better photos of it.

My query is a model and possible time frame of production.

Thanks,

[IMG] free pic[/IMG]

[IMG] image share[/IMG]

[IMG] free image hosting[/IMG]

Sorry, but it's a fake. NOT a PRS...
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

If that was advertised as a PRS and you actually wanted a PRS, time to get your money back. As Jamie says above - that is NOT a PRS.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

My name be scrambled ElrytNamrogo's Avatar
    Far from a PRS....
    --Tyler G--
    2012 PRS Custom 24
    - Burnt Maple Leaf 10-top
    2008 PRS Custom 22 - Santana Yellow - Rosewood Neck - 10-top
    PRS SE Singlecut Trem - Tobacco Sunburst -Grover Locking Tuners - Bareknuckle Rebel Yells - Push/Pull Volume and Tone - Graphtech Self Lubricating nut

In my best John McEnroe voice: You cannot be serious!

As stated, definitely not a PRS. You should get a refund immediately and report the seller.

That's not even close to being a good fake. Please get your money back as fast as you can.

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    That, my friend, is a fugazi...
    Unfortunate...

Hi all,

I did get it for a really low price, I guess it will make a cheap training guitar for my nephews to play on when they come around. With a good setup it should be worth what I paid for and will save my other guitars a few nicks and bumps.

Thanks for the info provided by all,

Michel
    Gibson Firebrand SG De Luxe 1981
    Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass 1998
    Epiphone Les Paul Ultra I 2007
    Fender Squier Stratocaster De Luxe 2012
    Hagstrom Darlana Grand Auditorium Concert Edition 2012

I really low price for that would have to be seller pays you to take it.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

That might be a early Peoples Republic of Shina guitar. Sorry to hear you got taken - I'd get my money back, but I suppose If you paid under 100 bucks and actually like it, its probably just as good as the next cheap import guitar. Plus this one has butterflies.

I have to admit, the butterflies made me laugh out loud at first, but the more I look at them, the more I think - those butterflies are the nicest part of that guitar...
    Last edited by rabidhamster; 01-10-2014 at 04:52 AM.

I don't think I've ever seen a strap button screwed into the top of a guitar...certainly unique.
    Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by rabidhamster View Post
    That might be a early Peoples Republic of Shina guitar. Sorry to hear you got taken - I'd get my money back, but I suppose If you paid under 100 bucks and actually like it, its probably just as good as the next cheap import guitar. Plus this one has butterflies.

I have to admit, the butterflies made me laugh out loud at first, but the more I look at them, the more I think - those butterflies are the nicest part of that guitar...
    I paid less than $100.00 and the butterflies on the neck, I saw a guitar in the PRS forums a guitar with the same butterfly neck design but I tried to locate it last night and couldnt find it, the owner of the guitar was selling it and it was for RM5200 if I remember well. It was a very nice axe too. I'll try another search today if time permits.

Take care,

Michel
    Gibson Firebrand SG De Luxe 1981
    Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass 1998
    Epiphone Les Paul Ultra I 2007
    Fender Squier Stratocaster De Luxe 2012
    Hagstrom Darlana Grand Auditorium Concert Edition 2012