Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 66

Thread: Why are SE guitars so good?

  1. #41
    Senior Member swede71's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    600
    I guess Gibson did it right in the 70s with a maple neck and Fender with a zincblock in the tremolo .Sorry guys but for me a guitar built in Korea is not a PRS.Same as a car built in Korea is not a Chevrolet.Its just a brand used for selling quantities.If they are so good its because WMICLK is a good company building guitars.Most PRS SE guitars ive tried didnt sound and feel that good.

  2. #42
    Narrowfield P'kup Hoarder HANGAR18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    637
    Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    I guess Gibson did it right in the 70s with a maple neck and Fender with a zincblock in the tremolo .Sorry guys but for me a guitar built in Korea is not a PRS.Same as a car built in Korea is not a Chevrolet.Its just a brand used for selling quantities.If they are so good its because WMICLK is a good company building guitars.Most PRS SE guitars ive tried didnt sound and feel that good.
    Korea, Japan and other Asian countries are getting very good at building guitars in very recent years. I think it will be a struggle for the quality of USA made to keep up if they continue their current pace.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

  3. #43
    Member rubalup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    I guess Gibson did it right in the 70s with a maple neck and Fender with a zincblock in the tremolo .Sorry guys but for me a guitar built in Korea is not a PRS.Same as a car built in Korea is not a Chevrolet.Its just a brand used for selling quantities.If they are so good its because WMICLK is a good company building guitars.Most PRS SE guitars ive tried didnt sound and feel that good.

    I dont know how they compare to US made PRS (only have played a handful of them in my life), but theyre GREAT guitars by themselves. I prefer my SE Santana to most Gibson Les Paul I´ve played and cost 4-5 times what i paid. I prefere it to my US fender strat that cost me almost twice.

    I think thats the purpose of the thread, to say that SE are awesome guitars.

    And sorry to say it but they´re in fact PRS. No matter where they´re made... An Iphone is an apple´s phone even when made in China. Maybe you dislike them, or consider your guitars to be way superior, but saying that they´re not even PRS guitars is fairly subjective, as is your opinion (or mine) about tone and feel of the instrument.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    I guess Gibson did it right in the 70s with a maple neck
    Actually, I quite prefer Les Pauls with a maple neck. The tone seems to have more 'cut' in the upper midrange, less muddy on the neck pickup. Purely subjective, but I think the slavish love of mahogany necks on LPs is based purely on nostalgia, and the misguided perception that all LPs built during the Norlin era were bad guitars.

  5. #45
    Senior Member swede71's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    600
    Anyone got any info about World Musical Instrument Co.Ltd. Korea?I googled but found nothing.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Audie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    Anyone got any info about World Musical Instrument Co.Ltd. Korea?I googled but found nothing.
    That would be the corporate name for Samick Instruments. They build their own line of guitars as well as contract out to many other brands around the world.

  7. #47
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Leipzig, Germany
    Posts
    40
    I think Rob Chapman mentioned that World Musical Instruments is a good factory, but maybe thats off topic.

  8. #48
    Senior Member sleary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    944
    I had a 2012 se cu24 but traded it in on my dgt, regret that now.

    There is a difference in tone and feel but the se's are a great instrument . The USA made seem to fit me personally better however I'd never count out an se in the future.
    2013 PRS DGT,2011 PRS CU24,2014 PRS S2 CU24,2014 Prs se CL 2014 Ibanez sir70fd
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with Saxon cabinet .

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    Anyone got any info about World Musical Instrument Co.Ltd. Korea?I googled but found nothing.
    The only real info I've ever seen on them is from the Line 6 blog. Apparently they have the Tyler Variax's made there as well:
    http://blog.line6.com/2010/world-mus...ar-number-one/

  10. #50
    PRS Addiction CoreyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Auburn, WA. USA
    Posts
    2,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Flori R View Post
    I think Rob Chapman mentioned that World Musical Instruments is a good factory, but maybe thats off topic.
    His new line of guitars is indeed made by the very same people that make the SEs.
    Rob has good words for World Music in his interview with The Tone King from the NAMM coverage.
    He has never seen the factory, but is taking a trip there soon.
    He wanted some mods done to one of his new guitars such as put the truss rod adjustment at the bottom and with a wheel adjuster instead of at the top, and he asked how much more to do a few things to it, and they said no increase in price, he was impressed.

  11. #51
    Senior Member swede71's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    600
    An Iphone is an apple´s phone even when made in China
    Yes Iphone is a chinese Product for an american brand.Amazing they can sell it for that much Money

  12. #52
    Narrowfield P'kup Hoarder HANGAR18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    637
    Reverend guitars are now made overseas as well.
    If anyone is evaluating a PRS SE series of guitars, the overseas manufacturerd thing should not matter very much at all in the decision making process.
    Evaluate them for what they are and not for where they are made. These days the overseas quality (for reputable manufacturers) is high and location no longer matters the way it once did.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

  13. #53

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGAR18 View Post
    Reverend guitars are now made overseas as well.
    If anyone is evaluating a PRS SE series of guitars, the overseas manufacturerd thing should not matter very much at all in the decision making process.
    Evaluate them for what they are and not for where they are made. These days the overseas quality (for reputable manufacturers) is high and location no longer matters the way it once did.
    It's all snob appeal that makes USA guitars more attractive, even I fall for that! However, I would call an SE a true PRS, an Epiphone a true Gibson, a Squier a true Fender. It's always these people trashing on import guitars so as to make the USA guitar a superior one. Really, how many people can afford USA guitars, and if so, how many can one afford? Especially for students like me, when you have no income at all. For instance, a beginner who just bought an SE, got told that he bought a wannabe PRS and not a real one, imagine how heartbreaking could that be when he had realised that his dream of owning a piece of the PRS legacy after emptying all of his own savings, just got shattered, all thanks to gear snobbery.

    Gretsch has made the move to China and Japan as well. The quality obviously wouldn't be the same as the US-made ones, there are lots of variables in production such as wood quality, hardware, construction, etc. But in the end, lots of them are all made to be the same guitars, but handled by people with different wage rates. Whether you want a Japanese/Korean guitar that can easily rival many other US-made ones in quality, or you want a US-made that you pay higher for the salary of the workers. You see all these artists gravitating towards using import guitars alongside their US counterparts. Bernie Marsden, Opeth and Zach Myers use their SEs live, Matt Heafy rocks an Epiphone on stage, Joe Trohman even uses his Squier guitars, which are "infamous" for "bad quality", on worldwide tours.

    I hear people bashing on Squiers, Epiphones, just to name a few, all the time. If it's about the quality, they probably haven't tried the higher end ones. If it's about the tone, fine, go get yourself a beat-up vintage and you'll have all the tone you ever need. If it's about it being made in China, I would advise them to go ahead and pick up a Squier CV, plug it in, try it, then revise their criticism. If all else fails, I'll just call them snobs and be done with it.

  15. #55
    Senior Member swede71's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    600
    Can i be the first here?Mexican Fenders are s**t,chinese squiers are s**t,Epiphone Les Pauls from korea are s**t.Japan build some good guitars.USA build the best guitars.Im talking factory guitars.West have outsorced everything to other parts of the world only for one reason,to make owners of the brand richer.The one truth we are supposed to believe in is that the product is as good.Its not!To me it smells like s**t in most musicstores today.Its only business to make as much money as possible.Apparently the workers in the overseas factories are skilled workers but they will never get credit for it.The american or european brand get the credits.We live in a world with a system that has as a basic to have everything private owned and from those private owners prosperity will come.It does in the shape of products manufactured in asia,mexico or india for example.Profits are huge products are s**t.Plus our unemployment rates gets higher and higher.

  16. #56
    Narrowfield P'kup Hoarder HANGAR18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    637
    Quote Originally Posted by maxtuna26 View Post
    It's all snob appeal that makes USA guitars more attractive, even I fall for that! However, I would call an SE a true PRS, an Epiphone a true Gibson, a Squier a true Fender. It's always these people trashing on import guitars so as to make the USA guitar a superior one. Really, how many people can afford USA guitars, and if so, how many can one afford? Especially for students like me, when you have no income at all. For instance, a beginner who just bought an SE, got told that he bought a wannabe PRS and not a real one, imagine how heartbreaking could that be when he had realised that his dream of owning a piece of the PRS legacy after emptying all of his own savings, just got shattered, all thanks to gear snobbery.
    This sort of snobbery happens in the Harley-Davidson motorcycle world too. Someone buys a Sportster and someone else says it's not a real Harley since it doesn't have a big twin engine. So you buy a Softail with a big twin engine and someone else says it's a girl's bike. So you sell it and buy an Ultra and someone says that looks more like a Honda Goldwing. If the snobs were correct then there would be no such thing as a Harley-Davidson at all because none of them are "real" Harley's. The point being that an SE must be considered a "real" PRS and no one really needs to pay attention to corksniffers anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    Can i be the first here?Mexican Fenders are s**t,chinese squiers are s**t,Epiphone Les Pauls from korea are s**t.Japan build some good guitars.USA build the best guitars.Im talking factory guitars.West have outsorced everything to other parts of the world only for one reason,to make owners of the brand richer.The one truth we are supposed to believe in is that the product is as good.Its not!To me it smells like s**t in most musicstores today.Its only business to make as much money as possible.Apparently the workers in the overseas factories are skilled workers but they will never get credit for it.The american or european brand get the credits.We live in a world with a system that has as a basic to have everything private owned and from those private owners prosperity will come.It does in the shape of products manufactured in asia,mexico or india for example.Profits are huge products are s**t.Plus our unemployment rates gets higher and higher.
    The old rule of "you get what you pay for" applies to the examples you sited. "S**t", as you put, it is a relative term. What is your measuring stick?
    Compare all overseas made guitars which are in the $800.00 or less category and I think you'll see the PRS SE series at or at least very near the top.
    Do the same with all guitars which cost over $2000.00 and again I think PRS will win that contest too.
    A contest between the major league team versus the minor league team? I think my USA Custom 24 wins over the S2 and the SE Custom 24, and with good reason I think.
    There is a good reason for the price diffrerences between the different PRS production lines and each accomplishes what they are supposed to accomplish.
    All manufacturers of anything need to have an entry model line in order to stay in business. So I think it is safe to say that the Korean made PRS SE guitars help preserve the American jobs at the Maryland factory by keeping the whoel company in business, and in turn, make it possible for me to buy all the over $2000.00 PRS guitars that I can afford.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

  17. #57
    Member Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    Can i be the first here?Mexican Fenders are s**t,chinese squiers are s**t,Epiphone Les Pauls from korea are s**t.Japan build some good guitars.USA build the best guitars.Im talking factory guitars.West have outsorced everything to other parts of the world only for one reason,to make owners of the brand richer.The one truth we are supposed to believe in is that the product is as good.Its not!To me it smells like s**t in most musicstores today.Its only business to make as much money as possible.Apparently the workers in the overseas factories are skilled workers but they will never get credit for it.The american or european brand get the credits.We live in a world with a system that has as a basic to have everything private owned and from those private owners prosperity will come.It does in the shape of products manufactured in asia,mexico or india for example.Profits are huge products are s**t.Plus our unemployment rates gets higher and higher.
    I disagree with a fair amount of this post. Obviously profits come into play, but having multiple price points to gain market share makes good business sense. If you can get a kid to play a MIM Fender there's a decent chance you can sell that same kid a MIA model down the road. Heck I never considered PRS at all before owning a couple of SEs, due largely to price point and a love of Fender instruments.

    I've played Fenders from Mexico, Japan, Korea and the US. There were good examples of all. There are good instruments made everywhere when you aren't playing with your eyes. I'll also throw this out there... Korea is the new Japan for instrument building. Great consistency and quality.

  18. #58
    Senior Member Todd_FindingMyWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Hebron, CT
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGAR18 View Post
    This sort of snobbery happens in the Harley-Davidson motorcycle world too. Someone buys a Sportster and someone else says it's not a real Harley since it doesn't have a big twin engine. So you buy a Softail with a big twin engine and someone else says it's a girl's bike. So you sell it and buy an Ultra and someone says that looks more like a Honda Goldwing. If the snobs were correct then there would be no such thing as a Harley-Davidson at all because none of them are "real" Harley's. The point being that an SE must be considered a "real" PRS and no one really needs to pay attention to corksniffers anyway.
    So true in the Harely motorycle world! Especially the 'Harely' guys...'
    They won't own anything else but can't logically justify it except the same old high school diatribe of 'its cool' or 'resale'. But hey spend that 20+ thousand and then the extra thousands to make it almost perform like it should in the first place to belong 'to the club'.
    I'll ride longer, safer, faster, harder, and more comfortable on my 12,900 dollar 'SE' Honda without having to buy the tshirt ;-)
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobstrusive..

  19. #59
    Senior Member swede71's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    600
    My measure stick is a good quality product.I think most entry model guitars are s**t.I would not say korean PRSs are **** but i have never bonded with them,would never buy one."good enough" is the truth we are to believe in.I dont!I dont believe in the truth that Mary got pregnant with the holy spirit either .Apparently millions does,or does because millions believe the same thing.If cheap s**t is needed to stay in business it is what it is.Its sad!Volvo now has chinese owners.I guess its needed.Sad!

  20. #60
    Member Duffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    On the South Bank of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in rural town.
    Posts
    163
    I think Hangar has it right (below) in his description.

    I was an industrial designer for a crystal chandelier company and the company owner and designer called me into his office one day and showed me a sketch of a lighting fixture that we were about to make. He explained the design to me and where the compromises were made. He then explained that he "hated" to make cheap junk fixtures like this, but that he was forced to in order to stay in business in a very, very competitive lighting business environment. He said that all the companies have to do it. They are called "price leaders" and are intended to draw interest to your other products.

    The big, couple hundred light, chandeliers, carrying the heavy weight of a lot of European cut crystal are very expensive light fixtures compared to the inexpensive, casual, light fixture that we were discussing; but it was the inexpensive, low quality light fixtures that are sold in huge contract quantities that keep the company in business and able to make the big, expensive, custom made, dazzling chandeliers.

    This same type of thing goes on with guitars.

    I see parents all the time buying their kids cheap junk guitar packs where for maybe fifty dollars more they could have gotten their kid a very nice guitar. Knowledge teaches us things that enable us to make wise choices and acquire very nice guitars and guitar gear.



    Quote Originally Posted by HANGAR18 View Post
    Compare all overseas made guitars which are in the $800.00 or less category and I think you'll see the PRS SE series at or at least very near the top.
    Do the same with all guitars which cost over $2000.00 and again I think PRS will win that contest too.
    A contest between the major league team versus the minor league team? I think my USA Custom 24 wins over the S2 and the SE Custom 24, and with good reason I think.
    There is a good reason for the price diffrerences between the different PRS production lines and each accomplishes what they are supposed to accomplish.
    All manufacturers of anything need to have an entry model line in order to stay in business. So I think it is safe to say that the Korean made PRS SE guitars help preserve the American jobs at the Maryland factory by keeping the whoel company in business, and in turn, make it possible for me to buy all the over $2000.00 PRS guitars that I can afford.
    "Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •