Thread: Is this a legitimate PRS McCarty gold top?

Is this a legitimate PRS McCarty gold top?

I'm new to PRS guitars, but I have high interest in one. She's a bit older and a bit worn, but that's kind of what I like about her. The guitar does not have original matching tuning pegs, but they are PRS. I've never seen black knobs on a gold top McCarty. It does not say McCarty anywhere on the guitar and the pawn shop has no idea about it. Given the condition, I'm sure to get a decent price on it. My question is, can anyone tell me if this is indeed a McCarty and what type? Have you ever seen black knobs on a gold top? What do you think is a fair asking price in this condition? Please forgive my ignorance. I'm a Fender guy looking to experiment with something new. Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1140030...7639620291493/

I can't blow up the pictures enough to really see, but I'm fairly certain that's a fake. And really looks like a pretty good one considering I can't tell for sure.

The headstock shape, logo, tuner placement, and serial number all look weird/wrong.

EDIT: Wait I take that back. I'm now fairly certain it is real, it just looks a little off to me for some reason. Some else hopefully can chime in, but I'm now saying it looks legit.
    Last edited by ChrisCst22; 01-11-2014 at 05:44 PM.

I'm gonna go for it and say real...the middle hole on the back of headstock looks right for D and G tuners from around that period...I've seen sloppier serial numbers on real PRSi...uh...Shawn?? Or call customer service...

Its a legit PRS...just very rough. It might be a McCarty or it could bee a CU22 someone converted. Considering you can get pretty clean McCartys for 1200-1300, Id say no more than about 700 or so since its had so much changed on it. Its higher than that on ebay right now. I'd pass.

Been watching this one too on ebay…looks legit...

Yeah, it's legit, just been road hard and put away wet. I don't mind being banged up, i'm lookinf for one that's see combat, but I don't like the replacement tuners.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2008 Mira, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2012 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Not a McCarty, but it looks like an older CU-22 that originally had the old style winged tuners, that were changed to the Phase II non locking tuners. Pretty beat up, as well…

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

that one is also posted on ebay, it went for $651 and the person cancelled the bids due to that price and relisted it. he is trying to get close to a 1000 for it i think!!!
    I like surprises!!!

DGT Club Vice President
    Pretty beat up as well?

You ou say that like it's a bad thing! Ha!

mgd

DGTs

Dedicated to PRS
    94' CU22 Stoptail with replaced tuners. McCarty's didn't have the shared G & D screw back in 94' as far as I know. I asked him about what pickups were in it and he showed me a picture of it containing Gibson PAF Reissues.

It's a fine candidate for some PTC tlc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Duncan View Post
    Pretty beat up as well?

You ou say that like it's a bad thing! Ha!
    Only at the wrong price!
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Lots of great info, guys. Thanks for all the help!