Thread: Pup decision.

Pup decision.

I currently have ME Quatro visiting the PTC for some love. My question is should I change the pups to some DGTsb I like the 53/10s but I'm starting to wonder about those DGTs. A comparison of tones would help me out. Thanks in advance.
    2009 tremonti
    2012 ME Quatro
    2008 McCarty nitro

Re: Pup decision.

Unfortunately the PTC is not offering DGT swaps...I love 53/10's and 57/08's...however my recommendation would be to drop 59/09's in there and call it a day.
    -Bob

I love the 57/08s in my McCarty. They are really mellow and smooth. I haven't played anything with the 59/09s. What's the tonal difference?
    2009 tremonti
    2012 ME Quatro
    2008 McCarty nitro

59/09s to me are a bit hotter...compress a bit more and tend to sing and have a bit more sustain...I love 57/08's as well...although there are a few different versions of them....overall the 57/08's to me tend to Be a bit more open and a bit more mellow...again it depends on which ones...I have a set of engraved 57/08's in my Ted that are bright as anything and will rip your face off...my other sets however are more mellow...makes me dig in more and work for it...The 53/10's I have in my Santana remind me of Malcolm and Angus...very raw. I love em all though and can't complain...I just really dig 59/09's...they have that fairy dust thing going on....I know I've said this all before so i apologize for repeating myself...and it's really subjective and there are a ton of other variables....Bottom line is listen to your ears!
    -Bob

Fantastic descriptions. I only had a couple of weeks with my quatro before her trip so I didn't really get to do a comparison. You were very helpful. Now if I can get Shaun to get me some mixed hardware 59/09s with touched covers. Lol
    2009 tremonti
    2012 ME Quatro
    2008 McCarty nitro