Thread: Guitar strings

Guitar strings

What are the best strings for a beginner that wants good tone but are not too hard to bend? Plus maybe some advice on stringing where the bottom E doesnt break so easily.

Thanks
    Dave

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Ahem... soft ones? Easy to bend, not so easy to break. And don't worry about the tone, you're playing PRS
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Still a Junior Member Albrecht Smuten's Avatar
    Btw welcome back to the forum
    Love for all human beings is like listening to any kind of music. You just don't care.
    The 3-Mike-7 devotee.

Thank you Albrect...I love this forum...One of the few remaining rational places. Everyone wonders why I dont own a Gibson since my name is Gibson..Love my Bernie.

Thank you Albrect...I love this forum...One of the few remaining rational places. Everyone wonders why I dont own a Gibson since my name is Gibson..Love my Bernie.

Al brec-h-t..sorry my "H" key is stubborn

What gauge are you currently using? The Bernie comes from the factory with 10-46's, which I would think you would not have any breakage or bending issues with.

Whats happeneing when the string is breaking? Is it always in the same spot? The easy-difficult answer is "Just dont hit it so hard", but you might have developed a burr somewhere if its breaking one string in the same spot all the time. Easy enough to fix that with a gentle filing.

By bottom E, I'm assuming you mean High E furthest from you in playing position? Some people like a heavier gauge string so they can really hit hard as they play, its harder to bend but you might get used to it.
    An alternative is using just a heavier gauge string for your High E, if thats what your having trouble with. The majority of your bending will probably happen on G and B, so its easy enough to just double up your fingers for assisting bends on the outside E. I'd couple that with a fatter low E too and it'll give the sonic impression of a bigger string set across to board.

G ball....the 10 46's were okay but the salt air on the vessel tends to shorten the life.. I just got back from GC and they did it again..they gave me Elixer acoustic strings. !! I like the EB slinky cobalts but I dont think I am putting enough turns on the post.. Rabid Hamster, yes, I am talking about the high E,uhh by fatter are you talking about loke a .48 or higher? Plus, do you pro's use the in, under and over method when stringing?

RH..I didnt see any burrs..Its breaking at the post.

I run the EB Cobalts in 9 - 42 on all of my guitars.
    Have not broken one string yet yet since May of 2012 on all of my guitars, and they bend easy.

I am using Autotrim locking tuners though on all of them except for the 408 which has the locking Phase Threes on it.
    The advantage of using a locking tuner is no string slip.
    You might look into some Schaller or Grover lockers for your Bernie, and they are a direct swap, no drilling.
    My Autotrims though needed to have the guitars redrilled, except for the little Fernandes where they dropped right in.

Reason I went with lockers is I had bad luck as a youth trying to string guitars, and I was always breaking strings and having slippage.

I remember seeing a photo here of a massive amount of D'Addarion strings one poster was using for a jam session. How about those? 10-46'sor do the y come in 11-48's?

Thanks Corey..I have the name of a good luthier and will get some locking Autotrims.

I like the Autotrims as you do not have to cut the string, it does it for you on the first turn.

He mentions his tech in the video above, his tech for Queensryche was my sales guy that I bought my SG from.

But if it does slip after cutting, can you still get enough slack to re install it? I guess one could just leave the slack in it before the clipping..Corey, speaking of guitar techs,I have often wondered how many guitar techs can outplay their bosses?

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Pure nickel strings are easier on the fingers... Maybe try a set of those?

Never had one slip on me yet, as I tighten the knob on the back pretty good.

I do believe his tech played a bit with the band during the 2012 Brazil tour.
    That was the tour where things got ugly as they fired Geoff Tate the singer, and have since replaced him with a younger guy who sounds just as good if not better than when Geoff was younger when they made all of their original albums.