Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Prs Santana

  1. #1
    Junior Member Bogiedr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The other Bay Area
    Posts
    18

    Prs Santana

    Hello. New here. Just bought a new Santana model. Beautiful guitar, however, once I got home I noticed the three way switch is not engaging properly in the bridge position, it is like it wants to kick out because it is not a sure lock as in the other two positions. This is my first PRS guitar, never an issue with Fender, Ibanez or Epiphone ... Is this typical QA for PRS? GC will take care of the issue of course, but it is disappointing to dump this much money on a new guitar and it has issues before I get to play it. Am I the only one with issues with a new PRS?
    Thanks,
    Bogiedr

  2. #2
    PRS Convert FennRx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South of Heaven
    Posts
    131
    did you order online?

  3. #3
    DEEPER STRIATIONS markie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,362
    Did you order it or was it in GC for a while before you bought it?
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

  4. #4
    Senior Member AP515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    357
    Generally PRS quality is the tops. Before I blamed PRS, I'd say a kid at GC banged it against the wall.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2008 Mira, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2012 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus

    PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

  5. #5
    Junior Member Bogiedr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The other Bay Area
    Posts
    18
    No online order. Really my fault. I had GC make sure the set up was done properly and the action, and such was right. I never checked the switch. Guitar was set up two weeks ago, they just got it in. But back to the original question ... Never an issue with the other manufacturers ... Is this typical PRS or not? GC will take care of the issue ... Can I expect more "stuff" to creep up or is this a fluke? It sat at GC from 12/14/13 till I picked her up today, what? Three weeks??

  6. #6
    Happy Egads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    1,811
    That's a lifetime worth of careless hands and "Stairway."

    If you haven't spent much time on this forum or talking with PRS owners, you might not know the level of devotion people give their PRS guitars. One of the major reasons is the quality, workmanship, and thought that goes into each guitar. That doesn't mean a switch was faulty and crapped out a couple weeks after leaving the factory. My guess is that you have a less than1percent chance of it leaving PRS faulty, and about 99 percent chance of it being mistreated at a GC.

  7. #7
    Junior Member Bogiedr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The other Bay Area
    Posts
    18
    So Egads, back to the original question / suggestion, this a fluke, right? I can rest assured that I did not make a mistake buying a PRS.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,709
    Listen....there is a good chance the guitar was messed with at GC or during the setup process... I don't want to say things like that never happen with PRS but...."They never happen with PRS"...it would be a very rare occurrence.
    -Bob

  9. #9
    Junior Member Bogiedr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The other Bay Area
    Posts
    18
    Dirty Bob, as a newbie to PRS that is what I want to hear. I don't care about all the folks that are touchie defending the brand. Tell me it is a fluke, as you essentially did, and I am happy. I love the look and playability of the guitar, but it is disappointing to have issues when compared to the other brands ... But again, you essentially state it is a fluke! I feel good about that.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Dirty Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    State of Confusion (NY)
    Posts
    1,709
    The QC is one of the highest in the industry. Everyone who answered in this thread was attempting to help you figure out whether or not the dealer dropped the ball...that's all....which happens unfortunately...especially with big chains...I'm really sorry you had an issue...very rare...this is a very friendly community filled with generous and helpful people...hope you get the switch fixed and start to enjoy your first PRS!!!

    Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 01-11-2014 at 10:58 PM.
    -Bob

  11. #11
    Junior Member Bogiedr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The other Bay Area
    Posts
    18
    Thank you Bob.
    The guys at GC are a good bunch, I know they will take care of the issue. As I stated, sounds like a fluke, which happens. My guy at GC has his tech waiting for me, I know it will be fine. I will keep you posted on the results.
    cheers,
    Bogiedr

  12. #12
    Junior Member Duffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    On the South Bank of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in rural town.
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogiedr View Post
    Thank you Bob.
    The guys at GC are a good bunch, I know they will take care of the issue. As I stated, sounds like a fluke, which happens. My guy at GC has his tech waiting for me, I know it will be fine. I will keep you posted on the results.
    cheers,
    Bogiedr
    No offense to you Bogiedr, but a lot of us are not exactly what you would call fans of GC. In fact a lot of us really don't care for GC at all, except maybe to check out some equipment we are interested in - and then we order it from places we trust, either local or online. GC has a very bad reputation for having some seriously messed up guitars hanging on their walls. Why? Because they get beat on by a whole bunch of people that abuse the $hit out of them. I can't tell you how many messed up guitars I had to pass on at GC because they were messed up.

    Think about a super nice Santana SE hanging on the wall at GC . . . A significant number of people are going to grab it and try it out and a very significant number of them are going to abuse it, hammering on the selector switch, etc.

    The PRS SE's are real decent guitars, no problem there. They are definitely in another class from Epiphones and a lot of these other inexpensive brands. At the same time I can understand that laying down 700 dollars for a guitar is not exactly small change. Usually a real decent guitar costs about that much though, at least. Rest assured that the PRS SE's are not junk.

    I have had switch problems on a quite a few guitars. I replaced them myself with very minimal effort. Most recently I had the switch do the same thing yours did, with a brand new, couple week old, 800 dollar made in Mexico Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster reissue. It is a really nice guitar and I was surprised when the switch messed up. I replaced it with an American Fender three way switch. I have had a few strats develop messed up five way switches and I always replace them with American strat five way switches which are super inexpensive and easy to put in.

    A messed up switch can keep you from using a certain pickup and it is annoying, but I wouldn't hold it against PRS personally. In fact it is possible that you could have fixed it yourself by taking it out and looking at it. Maybe something was stuck in the switch or something like that. It shouldn't have been binding up and it is a simple mechanical device.

    I have been working on my guitars for years and a lot of the stuff that goes wrong is easily correctable with just reasonable skills. Learning how to do simple repairs like replacing a switch can be interesting and even fun. I wouldn't want my guitar sitting at some place waiting for the warranty repair to get done when I could get them to give me the part and I could put it in myself.

    No criticism of you. Different people do things different ways.

    You have a super nice guitar there. I would be highly surprised if any other problems show up. Personally I would not let the GC "so-called" guitar techs touch one of my guitars. Any good guitar shop should have "real" guitar techs on site that can do a good job with almost everything. For serious work that I don't feel comfortable doing I have a guy around here that I found that is really good with fixing guitars and he actually builds and sells amps. He is a retired Air Force dude and musician. He is also very reasonable. I had him completely rewire a nice Epiphone LP Standard special edition and "correctly" rewire the kill switch I had a "so-called" tech install. The guitar came back well fixed and it sounds and plays great.

    I would say hold onto the Santana, a beautiful guitar, and give it some time to show you what it is. I doubt that it will disappoint you for a very long time.

    Your personal experience aside, I would strongly advise exercising a high level of caution when dealing with GC, and I wouldn't let their techs mess with my stuff. You have to do what you personally want to do, but experience has taught me to be very skeptical of GC dudes.

    I just hope that you haven't been turned off to PRS guitars. I hope you are able to bond with that very nice Santana guitar. Give it a chance. I play at lot of other brands of my guitars, but my Santana SE and other two SE's are great guitars and my Santana is at arms length, plugged into a nice amp. I also have my Hartley Peavey Signature double humbucker guitar with tiger maple top plugged into another great amp and it is also at arms length.

    I understand how you might be apprehensive toward your Santana because of this obvious fault that should have been caught by someone, somewhere along the line. I agree with the others that it is highly unlikely that it came from PRS with that fault. Again, be wary of GC.
    Last edited by Duffy; 01-12-2014 at 12:34 AM.
    "Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.

  13. #13
    PRS Convert FennRx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South of Heaven
    Posts
    131
    so you bought a guitar without really trying it out, from Guitar Denter of all places, and rather than take the guitar back immediately, instead sign up on the PRS forum to impugn the reputation of the brand?

  14. #14
    Junior Member Bogiedr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The other Bay Area
    Posts
    18
    Fenn, I simply asked a question!! I am not trying to insult anyone!! My goodness!!

    Duffy, great response, thank you. The guitar is going back for a quick repair Monday.

    Responses here tell tell me I bought the right guitar, brand loyalty is obvious and as such, the product can't be bad.

    Thanks everyone, will let you know how the adventure ends at GC.

  15. #15
    Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,381
    I have 7 PRSi and have owned at least 5 others and I have never had an issue like you describe from the factory.

    In my experience the QC at PRS Guitars is absolutely second to none.

    Like I told a guitar buddy recently, I don't believe they are the best because I buy them. I buy them because I believe they are the best...

  16. #16
    Senior Member gush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    washington iowa
    Posts
    502
    You purchased a fabulous guitar! Enjoy playing the thing and when you're done playing it enjoy looking at it!!!!

  17. #17
    A♥ hoards guitars A♥ rugerpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    deep in the raspberry...
    Posts
    2,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    That's a lifetime worth of careless hands and "Stairway."

    If you haven't spent much time on this forum or talking with PRS owners, you might not know the level of devotion people give their PRS guitars. One of the major reasons is the quality, workmanship, and thought that goes into each guitar. That doesn't mean a switch was faulty and crapped out a couple weeks after leaving the factory. My guess is that you have a less than1percent chance of it leaving PRS faulty, and about 99 percent chance of it being mistreated at a GC.
    ^^^^^ this

    Although I put the percentages at zero and 100... PRS QC is the best in the business, period. The reason no one is really telling you that it is a "fluke" and the guitar shipped to GC that way is no one here believes that could happen.

    Once a guitar gets to the store, that is where the excrement hits the oscillating air moving device. Your switch died at GC, I'd put money on it.
    Last edited by rugerpc; 01-12-2014 at 11:13 AM.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

    ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

  18. #18
    Junior Member Bogiedr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The other Bay Area
    Posts
    18
    Ruger, Hopeful, I am convinced it happened at the store after the good, helpful replies I have received. The store will make it good, so no big deal, just wanted an answer from the forum and I got it. Thanks everyone.

    Gush, I agree, beautiful instrument. So much that my wife did not question "another guitar" but simply said, "how beautiful".

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    272
    Now it is time for pics! You never said what type Santana, SE, Core, Artist?

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9
    Your mistake was having Guitar Center set it up.

    PRS does a great job of setting them up at the factory.

    It's like buying a car from a dealership, getting it home and noticing a scratch on the fender. Is it the manufacturer's fault or the dealership's fault? It happen at the dealership. I am willing to bet your guitar was damaged at GC - either by a customer or an employee. Quality control is high at PRS.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •