Thread: Anybody else digging the Wildwood DGT Private Stocks?

Anybody else digging the Wildwood DGT Private Stocks?

I guess it's "Private Stock-Lite" in that it's not directly commisioned, but I've got more than a few guitars, and this thing has really won me over. DGT pickup in the bridge position and 53/10 in the neck. Super split coil tone. All things equal, trems are more trouble than they're worth for me, and the wrap tail is just perfect. Immediately went to the top of the heap and is the #1 for gigs. And (by Private Stock standards at least) affordable.

Anybody else have one of these? (they made 20 I think...)

Re: Anybody else digging the Wildwood DGT Private Stocks?

Thats absolutely stunning man, I love the toasted look of the backside! :shock:
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

I came very close several times to grabbing one. I think they're awesome instruments. What kept me away was that for the price point, they made 20, and there's still like 10 hanging around, and all 20 look for the most part the same (but many do sound very different, as you can hear in the videos).

IMHO, had they done 3 or 4 different finishes, in groupings of like 5 guitars each finish, it would make the run of 20 a bit more unique and limited.
    ••••••••►•★•*PrSi-4-EvA*•★•◄••••••••

Excellent.

I believe I've seen your amp wall with a different name - still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ratchet
    I came very close several times to grabbing one. I think they're awesome instruments. What kept me away was that for the price point, they made 20, and there's still like 10 hanging around, and all 20 look for the most part the same (but many do sound very different, as you can hear in the videos).

IMHO, had they done 3 or 4 different finishes, in groupings of like 5 guitars each finish, it would make the run of 20 a bit more unique and limited.
    Yeah...I know what you mean... They are all more or less identical looking, and with the relatively large run, I'm sure that they uniqueness factor isn't there like it is with most Private Stocks. Regarding price, it's in sort of a middle ground. It's about the same (after a little haggling actually a little less) as what a high-end R9 is. I justified it by the fact that R9s aren't particularly unique (regardless of what the finish is) and I've never sold a guitar anyway, so resale value isn't a primary concern. So, for the price of an R9, I get a super high end PRS, which plays like a dream and sounds fantastic. And, I happen to really dig its looks.

Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster
    Excellent.

I believe I've seen your amp wall with a different name - still love it.
    Thanks! Definitely fun to have options...both with guitars and amps. I try to gig out with most of them..

A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    That is a beauty! I really like that run. I think it's a great combination of features. Plus, I like the folks at Wildwood too.

As for the 'Private Stock-Lite' thing, it's similar in that way to a lot of the runs from Willcutt and other dealers over the years. Still incredibly limited, great sounding, beautiful guitars.

Congratulations!

Goldtop
    Last edited by Goldtop; 06-10-2012 at 10:40 AM.
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

On an unrelated note, has anyone seen the Brazzy DGT PS at Wild West?

Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Well, I totally dig mine:

It is gorgeous, and plays and sounds great! But I got a little carried away and ordered another Private Stock, so I have this one up for sale to put the proceeds towards the new one...

Great guitar though!
    Last edited by MA Pete; 07-28-2012 at 12:04 AM.
    Ted Club President

DGT Club Vice President
    Stop the madness!!

mgd

DGTs

god! That top, that color!

Quote Originally Posted by aristotle View Post
    I guess it's "Private Stock-Lite" in that it's not directly commisioned, but I've got more than a few guitars, and this thing has really won me over. DGT pickup in the bridge position and 53/10 in the neck. Super split coil tone. All things equal, trems are more trouble than they're worth for me, and the wrap tail is just perfect. Immediately went to the top of the heap and is the #1 for gigs. And (by Private Stock standards at least) affordable.

My god! That's incredible - I want one. I own 4 DGTs but really want a stop tail version.
    Do you have others? How does it compare?

I've looked at those a couple of times. I love the tone of the DGT demo's I've heard, but I'm not really a trem guy, so those looked very interesting. I figured I'd just find a McCarty and put a set of DGT pickups in it. That doesn't get you the DGT neck Carve but that's not a show stopper for me.

Really Great looking guitar Aristotle!

Quote Originally Posted by MA Pete View Post
    Well, I totally dig mine:

It is gorgeous, and plays and sounds great! But I got a little carried away and ordered another Private Stock, so I have this one up for sale to put the proceeds towards the new one...

Great guitar though!
    Pete, where is that listed? I didn't see it on VR or TGP. Is there ANOTHER site with gear for sale to go drool over!?
    If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!

Hi samldr!

Don't own any other DGT's, but I've played a bunch. I just don't need or want the trem. Other than that, the big difference is the 53/10 in the neck position, which to me is an improvement. No question that a standard DGT is a better bang for the buck, but these are just fantastic. Of the 20 that they made, I noticed recently that Wildwood still has about 8, so I'd bet that they'd give you a great price. I'd have thought that these would have sold out immediately, but I guess it's sacrilege to remove the T from DGT for many. They've still got the video's of DG himself playing each of these with his commentary on the tone of each. Given that there are still new ones available, I'd guess that the resale on these wouldn't be spectacular, but I'm never getting rid of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    Pete, where is that listed? I didn't see it on VR or TGP. Is there ANOTHER site with gear for sale to go drool over!?
    The original post is about a year old Rango. Pete's is long gone I'm sure.

The original post is about a year old Rango. Pete's is long gone I'm sure.
    ahhhh that explains it... Thanks

I was surprised that Wild Wood still has so many... 8 right now.
    If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!

Hi samldr!

Don't own any other DGT's, but I've played a bunch. I just don't need or want the trem. Other than that, the big difference is the 53/10 in the neck position, which to me is an improvement. No question that a standard DGT is a better bang for the buck, but these are just fantastic. Of the 20 that they made, I noticed recently that Wildwood still has about 8, so I'd bet that they'd give you a great price. I'd have thought that these would have sold out immediately, but I guess it's sacrilege to remove the T from DGT for many. They've still got the video's of DG himself playing each of these with his commentary on the tone of each. Given that there are still new ones available, I'd guess that the resale on these wouldn't be spectacular, but I'm never getting rid of mine.
    Thanks for your response. I may get in touch with them at some point. The cost to get tining to the UK will probably be alot but I'm not sure?
    8 does seem quite alot left but then I'm kind of pleased as when I can afford it I may stand a chance of getting one.

No Mesa Boogies ?

It's been over a year since this first post. I love everything about this guitar except the price tag. May I ask if it is still at the top of the heap for your gigging guitar? If not what guitars have moved it down the heap?
    2013 LP R9 VOS
    2012 P22, IRW
    2013 SG Standard VOS
    Suhr PT 100 Amp, Forte 212 Cab
    Marshall Vintage Modern and SL5, Fishman Loudbox

Quote Originally Posted by tiboy View Post
    It's been over a year since this first post. I love everything about this guitar except the price tag. May I ask if it is still at the top of the heap for your gigging guitar? If not what guitars have moved it down the heap?
    A VERY nice used one just popped up on The Gear Page...

Quote Originally Posted by tiboy View Post
    Actually...yes. Well, as "top" as anything can be. 4 gigs out of 5 I take it, and play it at least a set. That's as much or more than anything else I have. In terms of my PRS guitars that don't get as much time, it'd be the SC-58, the Signature Limited Trem, and Pete's glacier blue RW neck SC Ted (it has a permanent spot at home where I can pick it up at a moment's notice)
    Last edited by aristotle; 06-27-2013 at 04:51 PM.