Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De-stinking an old case... help?

De-stinking an old case... help?

A week or so ago I picked up a used electric that came with a hard case. Cool guitar, but the case smells like a retirement home crossed with a dirty litter box... in other words, pretty bad. To the point where the guitar smells kinda bad too, if you get real close. Any ideas? Should I just throw a couple auto air fresheners in there, or maybe a box of baking soda and let it sit for a while?
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Sometimes it is hard to remove stank!!!!!! I once got a guitar that smelled as if it was an ashtray. Out of the case the oder subsided nicely, but the cases never did. It was just in the fibers to strong. My choice was a new case or strip out the lining and redo it. I opted for a new case!!!! If new is not your desire, frebreeze and time in open in an area with a good cross breeze may do it. Maybe even take out lining and clean if possible, getting oder out of wood will be hard. If it is wood.
    I like surprises!!!

An entire box of Bounce drier sheets. They work well, but it takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Perfect! I'll load it up with some dryer sheets for a couple weeks. Can't wait to get the stank out!
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

I was going to suggest the dryer sheet idea, but a quicker mind beat me to it.

I've never tried putting Carpet Fresh in a case and letting it sit a day or so before vacuuming it out, but it might be worth a try. I'd probably worry about the leftover powder doing a number on a finish...

Lloyd
    'And the answer is... none. None more Gold.'

I haul all the gear to our shows, sometimes all or some of the guys will ride with me. I cut carpet to cover the floor to protect the from dirt and mud and such. I keep dryer sheets under the carpet to keep odors in check and I clip them to the vents as well. Seems to work.

This is great stuff called Freshwave great for all kinds of stink

http://www.freshwaveworks.com/store/...l-Packs-c6.htm
    PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII
    Others LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

Open the case outside, where it can air out, and let the sun shine on the interior for a few days.
    One Life

Leave it to a bunch of cool dudes like ourselves to come up with so many ways to deal with stank! I'm not sure what that may say about us on some level, but I'm choosing to take the positive route with it.

Goldtop, who himself smells like Liquid Dial and Prell at this very moment.
    'And the answer is... none. None more Gold.'

Dryers sheets are an amazing thing...They will most likely help knock the odor back, AND...if you have issues with chipmunks, squirrels, etc...snacking on your cars' engine parts, just zip tie a couple sheets in safe places under your hood and they'll stop snackin'...I've done this as I failed the State of Maryland's emissions test because dem little sumzabytches kept eating part of my wiring harness for the vans' computer...no snickering, its a "work van"...and my wife thinks they're cute. AAAAaaaaaaaahhh!!! Cute targets, IMHO!!!!

DGT Club Vice President
    Bunch of evergreen tree air fresheners - you know, SE7EN-style.

mgd

DGTs

Quote Originally Posted by Bill SAS 513 View Post
    Dryers sheets are an amazing thing...They will most likely help knock the odor back, AND...if you have issues with chipmunks, squirrels, etc...snacking on your cars' engine parts, just zip tie a couple sheets in safe places under your hood and they'll stop snackin'...I've done this as I failed the State of Maryland's emissions test because dem little sumzabytches kept eating part of my wiring harness for the vans' computer...no snickering, its a "work van"...and my wife thinks they're cute. AAAAaaaaaaaahhh!!! Cute targets, IMHO!!!!
    Sumzabytches!!!!!
    i work for the phone company and they are one of our most hated pest. Little suckers can really do some damage on wire.
    I like surprises!!!

Resolve - removes stains and stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Duncan View Post
    Bunch of evergreen tree air fresheners - you know, SE7EN-style.
    And some patuli oil

When is this NOT the answer....Bounce is the new duct tape.

Plank Owner

And some patchouli oil
    Nothing shuts down my lungs like patchouli oil. Back in 1991, hippie chicks used to come into the shop where I worked and it was all I could do to be polite until they left; even to the hot ones (which were few and far between). Even then, I had to open doors and try to get the stench out. It would linger for hours.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Open the case outside, where it can air out, and let the sun shine on the interior for a few days.
    Yup, sunshine works wonders...
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Quote Originally Posted by wardog View Post
    Sumzabytches!!!!!
    i work for the phone company and they are one of our most hated pest. Little suckers can really do some damage on wire.
    Yup...here in Maryland, too. My company does loads of work for BGE and Verizon, and littles nests show up everywhere made from the copper phone pairs wire and sheathing ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill SAS 513 View Post
    Yup...here in Maryland, too. My company does loads of work for BGE and Verizon, and littles nests show up everywhere made from the copper phone pairs wire and sheathing ...
    I work for ATT, was a field mgr and we had to constantly repair for bird, squirrel nest and evacuate the occassional bee's nest.
    I like surprises!!!