Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Defender of the Universe HANGAR18's Avatar

Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

I assume that the reason that PRS has "signature artists" (like every other guitar maker as well) is so that these individual musicians, being highly visible, can promote the instrument they are playing to all those potential new customers out there who listen to that particular artist. But is seems that I am weird in that (with the exception of less than a handfull of guitar players*) I have never heard of any of PRS signature artists; and in many cases, I've never heard of their band either. So I find myself surfing the PRS web site and following links to artists and bands to learn more about them and not the other way around.

So, is it safe to say that I'm just weird? Living under a rock? Don't get out much?

[* Carlos Santana, Ted Nugent, Chad Kroger]
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

Different genres, generations, and target markets. There's a relatively new arena on my way to/from work, and half the time I've never heard of the bands. I listen to a lot of radio and read a bunch of mags, but as I get older, I realize how out o touch I'm becoming.

The old hipster joke "...you've probably never heard of them." has lost all meaning, as there are probably 2378 new bands posting videos on YouTube every minute!

People are copy-cats, and want to maintain a specific image IMO...

I think artists today are signing on with Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, etc. because thats what their idols played when they were growing up, so thats what they played growing up too. Also, it's an image thing. When someone plays an Ibanez, there's a set of expectations that go along with the style of music one expects to hear from someone playing an Ibanez (shred, or metal). The same goes for gibson and fender.

You're probably living under a rock.... and I don't mean to be disrespectful, I only listen to Kool & the Gang so I have no clue who most of these people are either.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    You're probably living under a rock.... and I don't mean to be disrespectful, I only listen to Kool & the Gang so I have no clue who most of these people are either.
    Oh please - you know who we are!

I'll see your Kool & The Gang and raise you...

Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Quote Originally Posted by JRod4928 View Post
    People are copy-cats, and want to maintain a specific image IMO...

I think artists today are signing on with Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, etc. because thats what their idols played when they were growing up, so thats what they played growing up too. Also, it's an image thing. When someone plays an Ibanez, there's a set of expectations that go along with the style of music one expects to hear from someone playing an Ibanez (shred, or metal). The same goes for gibson and fender.
    That is a very interesting point! It may take quite a while for PRS guitars to saturate the classic rock genre or for the next Jimi Hendrix to get photographed a lot playing a PRS guitar.
    Right now, the most visible PRS artists in my little world are Orianthi and Carlos Santana. (I really dig Alice Cooper.)
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

I think it's all because of PRS being established and rose to fame only in the late 80's. That's a very short history background... And obviously, there won't be as much artists endorsing PRS as Fender or Gibson.

Like someone said in one of the posts above, artists are inspired by their childhood heroes to pick up a certain brand guitar. The Les Paul, Strat and Tele has been around since the 50's, so there'd be more artists playing them and more people swayed to pick up these guitars.

Give them a little more time, I'm pretty sure there'll be more and more rising stars inspired by PRS endorsees to play PRS. Maybe 20 more years.... And PRS guitars will become "classics" alongside Gibson and Fender etc.

Quote Originally Posted by maxtuna26 View Post
    I think it's all because of PRS being established and rose to fame only in the late 80's. That's a very short history background... And obviously, there won't be as much artists endorsing PRS as Fender or Gibson.

Like someone said in one of the posts above, artists are inspired by their childhood heroes to pick up a certain brand guitar. The Les Paul, Strat and Tele has been around since the 50's, so there'd be more artists playing them and more people swayed to pick up these guitars.

Give them a little more time, I'm pretty sure there'll be more and more rising stars inspired by PRS endorsees to play PRS. Maybe 20 more years.... And PRS guitars will become "classics" alongside Gibson and Fender etc.
    This.

It's just a matter of time - PRS's are too good to be left in the dust by Fender/Gibson. The only thing working against PRS is they're so versatile, they're going to be spread out throughout all genre's, so no one genre will be dominated by PRS. On the other hand - that's more exposure for PRS which is a good thing.

Is anyone else concerned that with the changeover to these PAF style pickups that PRS will lose some of it's 'signature tone' that was established with Dragon and HFS/VB pickups? Us PRS fans know better, but I'm afraid the general public (the average guitarist) will percieve these PAF style pickups as an attempt to mimic Gibsons because what PRS provides isn't 'good enough', almost like PRS is issuing an admission of inferiority to Gibson.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by JRod4928; 01-14-2014 at 07:29 AM.

This.
    Is anyone else concerned that with the changeover to these PAF style pickups that PRS will lose some of it's 'signature tone' that was established with Dragon and HFS/VB pickups? Us PRS fans know better, but I'm afraid the general public (the average guitarist) will percieve these PAF style pickups as an attempt to mimic Gibsons because what PRS provides isn't 'good enough', almost like PRS is issuing an admission of inferiority to Gibson.
    What do you guys think?
    On that point... I spent a lot of time chasing the perfect PAF pickup, only to realize that I wouldn't actually like a PAF pickup for the style of music that I want to play. (I now know that I generally prefer wax potted, non microphonic, less sensitive and more forgiving humbucker pickups.) I want specific PRS pickups in my PRS guitars and specific Seymour Duncan pickups in my non PRS guitars.

Exactly - I've been down that road before too. Only to find that I love my Dragon 1's in the 97 CE24 (that I'm trying to sell to fund the custom 24 I just bought), and I believe I'll like the tremonti's I plan to install on my 2013 Custom 24 much more than the 57/08's that are currently in it. Even if they are supposed to be the 'holy grail' of pickups, I don't think they will be for me.
    Last edited by JRod4928; 01-14-2014 at 08:59 AM.

Exactly - I've been down that road before too. Only to find that I love my Dragon 1's in the 97 CE24 (that I'm trying to sell to fund the custom 24 I just bought), and I believe I'll like the tremonti's I plan to install on my 2013 Custom 24 much more than the 57/08's that are currently in it. Even if they are supposed to be the 'holy grail' of pickups, I don't think they will be for me.
    I really like the 09's I have in my Custom 24.

I think I'd like them more than 57/08's. I'd love to give them a shot, but I know I love hot pickups, and the Dragon/Tremonti define HOT. Plus, they're a ton cheaper than 59/09's.

Based on your sig - it looks like we play similar music, so I value your opinion.

I think I'd like them more than 57/08's. I'd love to give them a shot, but I know I love hot pickups, and the Dragon/Tremonti define HOT. Plus, they're a ton cheaper than 59/09's.

Based on your sig - it looks like we play similar music, so I value your opinion.
    59/09's are the new "hot". hahahaha

IMHO, Looking at the artist page it does seem to me that they've skipped over some more famous artist for more/different genres of music. It also seems that if they play stock instruments then they get passed over more.

Quote Originally Posted by jimistephen View Post
    IMHO, Looking at the artist page it does seem to me that they've skipped over some more famous artist for more/different genres of music. It also seems that if they play stock instruments then they get passed over more.
    What do you mean? They all seem to be listed alphabetically?
    http://www.prsguitars.com/artists/

Sorry, I was comparing the artist that use PRS vs artist that get models i.e. Al Di Meola, Brent mason, etc. It seems that PRS will give a model to someone who might not be as well know but play in a different style that some one with more fame/wider audience.

If anything I have noticed a trend of lesser known acts becoming endorsees of a company. It's a smart investment by a company. It costs two or three guitars upfront that you send to the artist/band, then you get free advertising from them, and if they make it REALLY big, well, you were there from the beginning and reap the rewards. If the band fizzles out, it cost you a grand total of two or three guitars, at factory cost - not a big loss.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Quote Originally Posted by jimistephen View Post
    Sorry, I was comparing the artist that use PRS vs artist that get models i.e. Al Di Meola, Brent mason, etc. It seems that PRS will give a model to someone who might not be as well know but play in a different style that some one with more fame/wider audience.
    Maybe the artists you have in mind simply like PRS production models as they come off the line and don't have any special customized preferences to justify their own signature model.
    In my own fantasy world, I tried to think up some specs for my own signature model guitar and didn't come up with anything that hadn't already been done.
    Like my current Custom 24, I wouldn't change a thing if I had the opportunity to do so. I like everything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by HANGAR18 View Post
    That is a very interesting point! It may take quite a while for PRS guitars to saturate the classic rock genre or for the next Jimi Hendrix to get photographed a lot playing a PRS guitar.
    Right now, the most visible PRS artists in my little world are Orianthi and Carlos Santana. (I really dig Alice Cooper.)
    I really am starting to wonder if there ever will be another Jimi or Jimmy or even Eddie. Maybe I'm just out of touch as well but I really don't see the music industry allowing guitar heroes much anymore.
    Custom 24, 5909, 305, Al Di Meola Prism, Paul's Guitar, SE Angelus
    Mesa Lonestar Special w/4x10 Mesa cab

Guitar heroes are limited to being heroes within their own genre, because pop culture doesn't care about musical talent.

Plus, no one is easily impressed anymore. If they want to see something amazing they just have to type it into youtube and look it up. Or if they want to 'feel' like they're playing amazing guitar just like a 'hero', they can go play rock band. It's de-sensitizing.

I wish I was alive to live during the 70's and 80's.