Thread: S2 custom 24 tremolo problem

S2 custom 24 tremolo problem

Just bought a s2 custom 24. Today. Sent in my warranty card and everything. Decided to go with the best. Yeah right. When I pull up on the tremolo, just a little bit, and let it go/ gently or as you would normally during playing, the guitar tuning remains sharp. If I push down on it and let it go, gently, the guitar tuning remains flat. No, the strings are not hanging up in the nut. this is all in the tremolo. You can actually measure the difference in height from the top of the guitar to the bottom of the tremolo. Actually you don't have to measure it, it is visibly different height if you pull up and let it return vs pushing down and letting it return. Any help here will be appreciated.

You can start here, hope you get it figured out!

http://prsguitars.com/csc/bridges.html
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - Mira X - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

Thanks Andy. Tried that.

Weird.

I hate to ask, but did you (or the shop you got it from) mess with the six trem screws that it floats on? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but if it's not the nut for sure... then I have no idea what's going on, and it would be a freak occurrence.

Bout got it figured out. First, no on messing with the trem screws. They are all the same height and it is about 1/6th of an inch above the deck. Here's what I've done so far. First, I changed the strings from 10's to 9's. I used PRS strings. I put nut sauce on the grooves. No help. Then I removed the strings and took some 2000 grit wet/dry and wrapped each gauge of string and gently smoothed each groove in the nut. Each time I checked the grooves with a double lens jewelers loop. Then I ran a fresh section of the appropriate gauge string through each groove to polish them even further. Then I put fresh strings on again, this time I lubed the grooves with food grade silicone grease. Just a tiny bit. (oh any by the way I did lube the screws in the bridge fulcrum with 3 in 1. I have a needle syringe) So, now things are much better. Not perfect but better. They stay in tune if I push down on the tremolo, but remain a tad sharp if I pull up on it. So, I'm guessing I was wrong about the strings hanging up in the nut. Does any guitar manufacturer produce a guitar that doesn't need worked on after you buy it? My 10 Top Custom 24 Fire Red Burst didn't have this problem. My SE 24 did and I changed the tuners, put on a Tusq nut and some Dragon II's. It stays' is tune just fine. I thought for the extra money the S2 wouldn't need all this work, but ......... So, Thanks for the moral support. I really appreciate the input.

All my new PRSi needed a bit of break in, after a bit of use the trem gets better
    PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII, CU24
    Others LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

Anytime you change to larger string gauges, I would expect to have to work on the nut slots - especially on a trem equipped guitar. 9's to 10's you wouldn't think it would be necessary, but the strings need slide freely with trem use. It's a touchy thing. If they're binding in the slightest, it's gonna cause issue with the trem not returning to proper position.

Senior Member Todd_FindingMyWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    Anytime you change to larger string gauges, I would expect to have to work on the nut slots - especially on a trem equipped guitar. 9's to 10's you wouldn't think it would be necessary, but the strings need slide freely with trem use. It's a touchy thing. If they're binding in the slightest, it's gonna cause issue with the trem not returning to proper position.
    He said he went from 10s to 9's though. (I read it 3 times myself) :-)
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobstrusive..

...a TWISTED SISTER pin?! HANGAR18's Avatar
    Didn't I hear somewhere that the S2 line uses SE parts, like bridges, among other parts?
    Perhaps there is a very slight difference between the bridge used on core line and the bridge used on the S2 line.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP - ALICE COOPER

...a TWISTED SISTER pin?! HANGAR18's Avatar
    And shouldn't this thread get moved to the general discussion section?
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP - ALICE COOPER