Thread: Why moon inlays?

Why moon inlays?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I've just taken the leap and bought McCarty.

Loving the guitar and finding out what an amazing guy Ted McCarty was.

I just wanted to know why moon inlays were added? Does the moon have any significance to Paul or Ted McCarty?

Thanks
    James.

I think the moons were standard all up and down the PRS line for a long time. The birds were optional.

I love the moons. And the birds. I'm easy.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Fan theory: no doubt that moons are cheaper than birds, but they are a step above plain dots which still sets PRS guitars apart from their contemporaries.

My complaint about moons is that they are all the same "moon phase." I think it would have been cool to have a complete 'cycle of phases' going down the fretboard.
    PS Starla (burnt orange smokeburst), Starla (vintage cherry, IRW neck, birds), S2 Starla (McCTS), HB12 (black gold), 25th ann. Mira 245 (frost blue metallic), 2011 'Stripped' 58 (goldtop)

Quote Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
    Fan theory: no doubt that moons are cheaper than birds, but they are a step above plain dots which still sets PRS guitars apart from their contemporaries.

My complaint about moons is that they are all the same "moon phase." I think it would have been cool to have a complete 'cycle of phases' going down the fretboard.
    I agree that would have been cool, but probably would have taken away from the cost efficiency significantly.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

The swoosh of the moon inlay repeats the swoosh from the top of the headstock

Name:  moons.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  18.8 KB
    Name:  headstock.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  50.4 KB

You learn something cool every day here. Never knew that!

That's cool!! Thanks Shawn!!
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets/signed by PRS
    2012 FBJB 10 top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti
    2012 Tremonti CustomSE Grey/Black heavily modded, DGT frets and nut at PTC
    2014 ARCHON

I looked for a Dirty 100 (2009) for a long time because they had moons and finally found one. In addition to being a great guitar, three features that I really like is that the moon inlays are larger than standard, it introduced the Black Gold Color and the 59/09 pickups. I must like the Black Gold Color because I had three PRS Guitars in that color before I bought the Dirty 100.
    AMPS: PRS, Fender, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Bogner, Ampeg, Orange, Kustom and Vox

GUITARS: PRS, Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker, Gretsch, Martin, Taylor, Peavey, National, Supro, Magnatone,
    Danelectro and Godin

I'll just add that I prefer the moons. I tend to prefer understatement, so the birds are a bit much for me, but the moons are one of things that at first glance may not look all that unique, but take a closer look and you'll see they are.

Well I think your question has been answered. Welcome. Congrats on the new guitar. ENJOY!!!

Every time I play my DGT with moon inlays,I tell people I'm mooning them.....come on I'm not lying either lol
    2013 PRS DGT,2011 PRS CU24,2014 PRS S2 CU24,2014 Prs se CL 2014 Prs SE CU 24 Floyd, 2001 mcsoapy
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Mesa rectroverb 25 ,Marshall 1960/Saxon 2x12

Quote Originally Posted by tbp0701 View Post
    .... but the moons are one of things that at first glance may not look all that unique, but take a closer look and you'll see they are.
    Yup. That's why they're so chic.

Quote Originally Posted by tbp0701 View Post
    I'll just add that I prefer the moons. I tend to prefer understatement, so the birds are a bit much for me, but the moons are one of things that at first glance may not look all that unique, but take a closer look and you'll see they are.
    What he said.

I'll add that my CE24 doesn't have either moons or birds, it has slightly oversized regular dots, but they are exceptionally colorful MOP, really nice.
    -----------------------------
    PRS Mira Mapletop ('08 core)
    PRS CE24
    Collings D2HVNSB

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    The swoosh of the moon inlay repeats the swoosh from the top of the headstock

Name:  moons.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  18.8 KB
    Name:  headstock.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  50.4 KB
    Never noticed.

I always thought the headstock shape was inspired by the body shape. That swoosh from left to right, up to down seems to mimick the asymmetrical horns of the body.