Thread: Pickup mags

Hybrid View

Pickup mags

Has anyone ever changed the magnet to something different in their PRS pickups? I have a spare HFS laying around and thinking about buying a bunch of different mags to hear the differences in the same pickup.

I just asked this over at the other PRSForums.
    I took the HFS out of my '94 CE24 as soon as I got it. It installed a real old Dimarzio PAF Pro and it's been in there ever since. I swapped the 57/08 in my Studio for a Custom Custom and I LOVE that pickup.
    I found another a few days ago (new on eBay for $50 shipped) and it'll be going into the CE in place of the PAF pro when it gets here.

I still have the old HFS and was wondering how it would be with an A2 in it. Like I said, I LOVE the CC's A2. I'm not a big A5 guy. I have a feeling the A2 in an HFS would be really sweet. Anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by blaren View Post

I still have the old HFS and was wondering how it would be with an A2 in it. Like I said, I LOVE the CC's A2. I'm not a big A5 guy. I have a feeling the A2 in an HFS would be really sweet. Anyone??
    I just pulled my HFS with A2 out of my SE 245 Fredrik Akkeson. I too am a huge fan of the Duncan Custom Custom and was hoping for similar results with the A2 HFS but I wasn't thrilled with it. The tone was OK but kind of weak sounding. The single notes just didn't come close to "singing" the way my Custom Custom in my CE 24 does. Granted that may be due in part to the different guitar. I'm going to try a UOA5 next and see where that gets me.

Ha! I still haven't gotten around to ordering any magnets!

Can someone PLEASE measure this bar magnet from an SE HFS ?
    2.5 " ?
    Seems like a fun thing to do, to tweak the tone
    Cheaper than another pickup, but will steer someone toward voicing the bridge pickup to their liking
    AND, .like me, will persuade us not to sell out and just sell the SE altogether