Thread: SE singlecuts

SE singlecuts

Such as the SE 245, Tremonti SE, Fredrik Akesson, etc... Besides the differences in cutaways such as the Akesson, and construction of materials, do they all have basically the same bevel/body dimensions? It almost seems as if the Akesson has different beveling but it's hard to tell from pics.
    Last edited by alostpick; 01-26-2014 at 07:33 PM.

Yeah, the body styles are all very similar as far as I know. With the exception of the actual "SE Singlecut" model, which has the thinner body, along the lines of the Custom and Santana.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

Narrowfield Pickup Fan HANGAR18's Avatar
    From memory, I don't think the SE versions have a dimpled hole for each knob to sit inside.
    (I'm sure there are proper industry terms for what I just described but I don't know hem well enough to recall them now.)
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    Yeah, the body styles are all very similar as far as I know. With the exception of the actual "SE Singlecut" model, which has the thinner body, along the lines of the Custom and Santana.
    Thanks...I didn't know that about the Singlecut. I edited my post when you were replying, about how i thought the Akesson looked a bit different and that's what got me wondering if there were differences in some models. I just noticed you have Akesson. How do you like the 24.5 and do you use any drop tunings? Any other good or bad comments?

Quote Originally Posted by HANGAR18 View Post
    From memory, I don't think the SE versions have a dimpled hole for each knob to sit inside.
    (I'm sure there are proper industry terms for what I just described but I don't know hem well enough to recall them now.)
    Yeah. The Core models have recessed knobs... I was mainly trying to sort out if the SE Singles had any marked differences from one another. But now you have me wondering about SE vs Core counterparts, too
    Last edited by alostpick; 01-26-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alostpick View Post
    Thanks...I didn't know that about the Singlecut. I edited my post when you were replying, about how i thought the Akesson looked a bit different and that's what got me wondering if there were differences in some models. I just noticed you have Akesson. How do you like the 24.5 and do you use any drop tunings? Any other good or bad comments?
    I don't play in drop tunings too often, but I LOVE my Akesson. The 24.5 is really comfortable, and it's just a great guitar. Between the ebony board, tonepros bridge, and jumbo frets, it's a real monster. If you want to do drop tunings, I think the Akesson would be a great guitar for it.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    I don't play in drop tunings too often, but I LOVE my Akesson. The 24.5 is really comfortable, and it's just a great guitar. Between the ebony board, tonepros bridge, and jumbo frets, it's a real monster. If you want to do drop tunings, I think the Akesson would be a great guitar for it.
    Thanks

The The SE Mikael Akerfeldt and SE Tremonti has a thinner body as well as the now discontinued SE Singlecut. However, the SE Tremonti Custom (the trem-equipped one) has a thicker body. The rest of the singlecuts in the SE range now has thick bodies. All SE's singlecuts have Wide Fat necks, apart from the SE Tremonti Custom and the SE Mikael Akerfeldt, both of them comes with Wide Thin necks.

Quote Originally Posted by maxtuna26 View Post
    The The SE Mikael Akerfeldt and SE Tremonti has a thinner body as well as the now discontinued SE Singlecut. However, the SE Tremonti Custom (the trem-equipped one) has a thicker body. The rest of the singlecuts in the SE range now has thick bodies. All SE's singlecuts have Wide Fat necks, apart from the SE Tremonti Custom and the SE Mikael Akerfeldt, both of them comes with Wide Thin necks.
    Thanks

On the South Bank of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in rural town.
    I dropped Grover mini locking tuners 406c straight into my Singlecut SE with no problem. Direct replacements and nice tuners as well.

My new Santana SE also will allow for direct drop in of the Grover mini locking tuners 406c.

Some of the SE models do not allow for the direct drop in of these tuners. I think it is mainly the SE's with the grommet type vintage style tuners; in which case you would have to do a little light "reaming" with a reaming tool. I have one but haven't used it yet. I used the drill on a non PRS SE guitar and was not able to do a great job. It worked using the drill, but I bought a reaming tool so that the next time I enlarge the tuner hole I won't tear it up as easily.

The one I did with the drill accepts the tuners very well, but I tore out a small amount of the veneer on the top of the headstock around one of the holes with the drill. The mark of the craftsman is mostly covered up with the washer that goes under the tightening nut, but I, of course, see it every time I look at the headstock.

I don't like most of the vintage style tuners that I have on some of my guitars and I like to replace them. I have been having it done by a tech and, of course, the first time I tried to do it myself I did less than a great job by trying to do a good job with a drill. A reaming tool is the right device to do this job and they are less than ten dollars at a place like Central Machinery or another similar tool store.

Because the Santana and Singlecut SE's are thinner bodies I definitely do not think I'm missing something. Both of these guitars are really beautiful and they follow thru with a great feel and beautiful sound. The new Santana SE a very rewarding guitar to play and just plain look at, ha ha.

I don't know what my next PRS SE will be but I hope to be getting one, maybe with neck binding. I also have another one, a PRS SE Standard, which I had never heard of before I purchased it. It is a very cool guitar too and has a solid mahogany body.
    "Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.

incorrect the akerfeldt is a wide fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzyg12 View Post
    incorrect the akerfeldt is a wide fat.
    Sorry, I made a mistake there... Must have gotten that from an unreliable source. I always thought the Akerfeldt model has a Wide Thin!

Thanks for correcting me!

So, there's a thinner one, a thicker one for SE Tremonti CU and the rest of the Singles. But are the thicker SE ones actually weight relieved compared to the Core SC245?