Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying too hard to like a guitar.

Trying too hard to like a guitar.

I mean, I can't sell it... it 's been spray painted and everybody knows it's been broken.. but, Man! I've been really trying too hard to like my SECU24.

I don't know if it's the pups, the blade switch, or the fact that it's a set neck, but I just haven't had that bonding moment with this guitar yet. I thought fer sure I was going to LOVE this guitar based on the fact that my Orianthi SE is sofaking bangin' (completely different guitar, I know) but I'm just getting that "meh" feeling whenever I pick it up.

I'm so geeked by how the thing looks that I'll keep it for a bang around live guitar, but I wanted to ask you guys....

What have you done when you've had to try to like a guitar?

you could al;ways send it to me. i'm sure i could give it the love it deserves
    I am not a luthier but i am in my own workshop.
    https://www.facebook.com/driffguitar

Maybe it's the pickups? Do you have the stock pups in there?

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I mean, I can't sell it... it 's been spray painted and everybody knows it's been broken.. but, Man! I've been really trying too hard to like my SECU24.

I don't know if it's the pups, the blade switch, or the fact that it's a set neck, but I just haven't had that bonding moment with this guitar yet. I thought fer sure I was going to LOVE this guitar based on the fact that my Orianthi SE is sofaking bangin' (completely different guitar, I know) but I'm just getting that "meh" feeling whenever I pick it up.

I'm so geeked by how the thing looks that I'll keep it for a bang around live guitar, but I wanted to ask you guys....

Seeing as how it's been painted, and it probably lost a lot of resale value I would....

1) remove all the paint and apply a clear finish for a 'natural' guitar.
    2) install a graphtech piezo/floyd system
    3) install new pickups
    2013 PRS Custom 24 - Charcoal Burst Quilt - 57/08
    Ibanez SR650 Poplar Burl 4 string bass
    Carvin Cobalt Acoustic
    Douglas 7 String

Quote Originally Posted by carpincowboy View Post
    you could al;ways send it to me. i'm sure i could give it the love it deserves
    Ahh.. The ol' see somebody else playing it trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Maybe it's the pickups? Do you have the stock pups in there?
    No.. It's got a Mira and a lipstick-bucker in it. I never tried the stock pups in it 'cause it was the broken one but I did put the SE HFS in my LV guitar and I'm digging it in there.

It's a very "even" or "smooth" sounding guitar, maybe even "subdued" could be a word to describe it. I was kinda hoping the lipsticks would make it more "spiky" sounding.

I mean sometimes theres no answers either - Im a firm beleiver in that some wood just speaks and others don't. We're kind of spoiled by almost all PRS wood containing said "mojo".... case and point I have 2 Tremonti's - one is a 2011 Fire Red Burst and the other is a 2007 in trans black. The 2007 is THE guitar because back then they had a supply of superrrr heavy mahogany and the guitar just sings like no other.
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Quote Originally Posted by JRod4928 View Post
    Seeing as how it's been painted, and it probably lost a lot of resale value I would....

1) remove all the paint and apply a clear finish for a 'natural' guitar.
    2) install a graphtech piezo/floyd system
    3) install new pickups
    Oh.. I'm pretty sure the resale value is nothing, and I wouldn't sell it anyway.

1) Can't. It's got epoxy filling a ton of damage and the paint doesn't seem to affect the acoustic tone of it.
    2) Punch me in the neck. (Maybe a Mannmade? I have some core saddles I should probably try first in there though)
    3) (sigh) probably gonna happen.. again.

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    I mean sometimes theres no answers either - Im a firm beleiver in that some wood just speaks and others don't. We're kind of spoiled by almost all PRS wood containing said "mojo"....
    I feel that too.
    It's just so dope lookin' that I want to like how it sounds. I shouldn't be surprised as I'm not the biggest Custom fan in general, but that Orianthi is just an amazing guitar... Can a Korina back an ebony fretboard make that much of a difference?

Yes.

I've got one sitting in a closet, because I just can't make myself love it. It comes out every few months, gets played for a few hours over a week, then goes right back in. Like you with yours, I love the look, and it even feels good, but we just don't click.

Maybe you should bury it for a long while and come back to it. It's not like you are going to be short-handed without it.

I was about to say You cant polish a turd but....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

When it happens to me I just sell the yotch (assuming I can't fix whatever it is that I didn't like).
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by swede71 View Post
    I was about to say You cant polish a turd but....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I've got one sitting in a closet, because I just can't make myself love it. It comes out every few months, gets played for a few hours over a week, then goes right back in. Like you with yours, I love the look, and it even feels good, but we just don't click.

Maybe you should bury it for a long while and come back to it. It's not like you are going to be short-handed without it.
    Word!

Anybody ever put a guitar away and then come back to it later to find they just weren't "ready" for it yet?

Sorry to say it man, but the truth is, after having built at least a dozen partscasters each with a dozen pickup configurations - a guitar either "has it" or it doesn't. The only way to truly affect a guitar with a bolt on neck is to do a neck swap, which can completely alter the character and tone. Obviously, not possible (easily) with a set neck. There were a few SEs I bought that after they arrived, I knew immediately I was not going to bond with them, and either re-sold or returned them. In this case, if you had fun on the project and spent very little $$ on it, there's no real loss in just not playing it, or selling it for peanuts. IMHO, YMMV, etc
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

I don't believe in trying to like a guitar - I either like it or don't and am happy to live with that.

If you really love the look of it you can find another project and recreate it. You seem to like having projects. As for that one, find a kid starting out playing and make his day by giving it to him, or if he can't accept a free guitar from a stranger let him buy you some strings or whatever.

You get to feel good, and have some good karma headed into your next project.

Set it up for Slide.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

One word...

RHINESTONES!!!!

Anybody ever put a guitar away and then come back to it later to find they just weren't "ready" for it yet?
    Yeah - I've fallen in and out of love with guitars. I've also had guitars I just couldn't get over the hump with.

Worse comes to worst and you just can't keep it, find a school program or a kid starting out and donate it (assuming you stick with the "can't resell it" stance). It may be someone else's cup of wine, it may be the bridge they need to get from point A to B.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

dude, unglue the neck then bolt it back on
    (DC 245 Ted / DGT / 513 / Santana / McShootout / Cu22 Rosewood / DC22 / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Sig LTD / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom / SE Mushok) >> {C, H, Dallas, Original Sewell}

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Set it up for Slide.
    Good.

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    One word...

RHINESTONES!!!!
    Better.

Quote Originally Posted by watelessness View Post
    dude, unglue the neck then bolt it back on
    Best.

And what is it with all you soft dudes sayin' I should give the guitar to a kid? Screw the kids... I'd rather give it to one of y'all.