Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Which finish is on my guitar?

  1. #1
    Junior Member disfigured's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Lowell MA, USA
    Posts
    26

    Which finish is on my guitar?

    Thread title says it all. But I can't seem to find that specific information on the PRS website.

    I purchased a Paul Allender SE (purple burst) last year as seen is this thread: http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...ng-a-signature

    In that thread I'm asking bout how to seal Paul Reed's signature, but I eventually purchased the replacement backplate, and while I didn't frame it, I did stick the signed backplate to the wall where I hang the Paul Allender. I do like the framed idea though.

    Anywho...... there was a minimum purchase amount when I bought the back plate. Surfing around the PRS shoppe I figured I'd pick up some cleaner, polish, and cloths to get to that minimum. Today upon surfing for a guitar stand I noticed the warnings about the rubber used and how it reacts nitro finishes (reminds me I have to check my wall mount). So I went looking to see what finish I have under the maintenance section. Lo and behold I notice the warning about the PRS brand cleaner and polish actually being "dangerous" for nitro finishes.

    So do I have a V12 finish or Nitro finish?

    Thanks for any responses

    (and thank god (if it is a nitro finish), I'm not too anal about how it looks).
    |]i$fiGuRe|]

    2013 Paul Allender SE (Purple Burst)

  2. #2
    Senior Member Michael B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Saratoga Springs New York
    Posts
    905
    Hey man!! You don't have v12 or nitro finish, not sure exactly what the finish is but your guitar will be fine with cleaner and polish!!
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets/signed by PRS
    2012 FBJB 10 top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti
    2012 Tremonti CustomSE Grey/Black heavily modded, DGT frets and nut at PTC
    2014 ARCHON

  3. #3
    Junior Member disfigured's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Lowell MA, USA
    Posts
    26
    Thanks...

    I looked on few retailers websites, and one lists it as Urethane finish. So the PRS polish and cleaner will be fine for this guitar?
    |]i$fiGuRe|]

    2013 Paul Allender SE (Purple Burst)

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    36
    From the prs customer support page:

    6. What kind of finish does PRS use?


    In our history, most of our instruments have been finished with a polyester basecoat and acrylic urethane topcoat. We feel acrylic urethane looks and feels the close to the old nitrocellulose finishes but avoided the issue of future finish checking. Several PRS models, including our Sunburst, Satin, Modern Eagles, and DGT models use a nitrocellulose finish in order to provide the classic feel and tone of vintage instruments.


    In 2010, PRS Guitars introduced its new V12 finish. This finish was developed over 12 years, and it is intended as a midpoint between nitro and acrylic with a classic feel all its own. V12 is extremely thin to allow the guitar to resonate, but it is still incredibly durable with no risk of reacting to leather or guitar stands in a negative way.

  5. #5
    Junior Member Therinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    64
    Do SE's use the V12? I had the same question, actually, whether it was safe to use the PRS polish on my new SE.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    29
    It's just a poly finish on the SEs. Polishing will be okay. It's basically like your guitar was dipped in plastic. In 100 years it will look exactly the same.

  7. #7
    Junior Member disfigured's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Lowell MA, USA
    Posts
    26
    D'oh, the FAQ. I assumed it would be covered under maintenance and didn't look any further.
    Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzyg12 View Post
    From the prs customer support page:

    6. What kind of finish does PRS use?


    In our history, most of our instruments have been finished with a polyester basecoat and acrylic urethane topcoat. We feel acrylic urethane looks and feels the close to the old nitrocellulose finishes but avoided the issue of future finish checking. Several PRS models, including our Sunburst, Satin, Modern Eagles, and DGT models use a nitrocellulose finish in order to provide the classic feel and tone of vintage instruments.


    In 2010, PRS Guitars introduced its new V12 finish. This finish was developed over 12 years, and it is intended as a midpoint between nitro and acrylic with a classic feel all its own. V12 is extremely thin to allow the guitar to resonate, but it is still incredibly durable with no risk of reacting to leather or guitar stands in a negative way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Therinx View Post
    Do SE's use the V12? I had the same question, actually, whether it was safe to use the PRS polish on my new SE.
    I'm going to assume the bold/red statement means it applies to all guitars produced after 2010. Mainly because the question in the FAQ has no qualifiers other than PRS alone. Right? Mine's been hanging on a wall mount for a few months with no signs what so ever of wear or chemical reaction (just checked it LOL).

    I think we're good to go (dependent on year of manufacture).

    Oh by the way, this sort of started with surfing for a guitar stand and noticing the warnings about the foam used. I needed the guitar stand because I picked up this little gem a few days ago, when they reduced them by $200.00 USD: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PodHD/

    |]i$fiGuRe|]

    2013 Paul Allender SE (Purple Burst)

  8. #8
    Junior Member disfigured's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Lowell MA, USA
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsamuels View Post
    It's just a poly finish on the SEs. Polishing will be okay. It's basically like your guitar was dipped in plastic. In 100 years it will look exactly the same.
    Well either way we're good to go, for a 100 years even. ;0).
    |]i$fiGuRe|]

    2013 Paul Allender SE (Purple Burst)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    597
    It's acrylic urethane for the top coat. There are some posts about the headstock signature mod on the SE mods thread if i remember correctly, and I remember there's this one guy with a SE Tremonti Custom, he said it's acrylic urethane and he's probably right, from what I read on the PRS support page.

  10. #10
    Junior Member disfigured's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Lowell MA, USA
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by maxtuna26 View Post
    It's acrylic urethane for the top coat. There are some posts about the headstock signature mod on the SE mods thread if i remember correctly, and I remember there's this one guy with a SE Tremonti Custom, he said it's acrylic urethane and he's probably right, from what I read on the PRS support page.
    Thanks for clearing that up....... pun intended........ ;0).
    |]i$fiGuRe|]

    2013 Paul Allender SE (Purple Burst)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •