Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Congrats Seahawks: Superbowl champs!

Good. I need more beer. Especially after yesterday.
    One Life

I think for old time football fans like myself, its cool that a great defence can still beat a top offence. Not sure how much longer that is going to be possible. I yearn for "the good old days" and old rules when you could really cover a guy and hit the QB, with Ds like the Raiders, Colts, Vikings and Steelers. Yep, Im getting old.

Manning = No heart...and that trickled down to his teammates. You could tell he wasn't totally in the game after quarter #1. This does finally answer Brady vs Manning. For every ounce of brilliance that Manning has as a strategist on the field, he equally lacks in that certain winning quality that is needed when the games really matter. If I was a Bronc yesterday, I don't think I would have been motivated looking over at Manning on the bench and seeing just a blank expression. It was bad. Brady isn't an all time great and maybe THE all time great because of stats and wins, its because he inspires his teammates around him and gets their best at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    Something truly unexpected: I don't think there was a single officiating stinker of a call....
    There were several bad calls, notably a non-call against Seattle at the end of the first half (Seahawks defender stopped a Broncos receiver with two hands to the chest and kept him from getting to the ball), but nothing that could remotely be considered to have any effect on the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Worst. Super Bowl. Ever.
    Not quite - but pretty much the kind of game that got me to stop watching the Super Bowl when I was still a fairly big football fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Danerada View Post
    At least 24 is coming back!!!!!
    x6!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FindingMyWay View Post
    Head to Head (10 wins Brady vs 5 Manning), Number of SB appearences, number of rings.. I'm pretty confrotable with the stats that matter when comparing.
    You could be a stat machine which he is but at the end of the day 20 years from now, no one will be quoting his regular season stats.
    If you can't win the big one, you'll be brought up later in the conversation (even AFTER Eli) and thats where the rubber meets the road.
    So, Doug Williams > Dan Marino. Got it.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

I think its cool how Seattle kept the spirit of the 12 going. They scored 12 seconds into the game and again 12 seconds into the second half.
    2007 Korina McCarty Brazilian
    S2 Custom 24
    SE Bernie Marsden
    SE Custom Semi-Hollow Body
    SE245

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    It was bad. Brady isn't an all time great and maybe THE all time great because of stats and wins, its because he inspires his teammates around him and gets their best at all times.
    Brady is a great for sure. But no where even close to the greatest. (Which no one really is) But if you have to pick one, its really, really hard to go against Joe Montana. I am 54 and have been a huge football fan sice I was old enough to watch. Montana, Unitas, Nameth, Plunkett, Stabler, Bradshaw, Thiesman, Fouts, Marino MAYBE Elway just for starters are all QBs i would take ahead of Brady. Numbers and stats mean nothing anymore. The rule changes have completely changed the game. I cant even imagine the TD passes some of the guys above would have under the newer rules.

Senior Member Todd_FindingMyWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    So, Doug Williams > Dan Marino. Got it.
    Um...stretching a 'little' are we?
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobstrusive..

NAMATH!?? PLUNKETT?? PULEASE...remove those two immediately.. I'll give you the others. Those are allowed in the conversation (maybe theisman a little of a reach as well)

The only thing Namath was famous for is the 'guarantee'. He had a 50 50 shot at that. He was a mediocre quarterback at best...

There were several bad calls, notably a non-call against Seattle at the end of the first half (Seahawks defender stopped a Broncos receiver with two hands to the chest and kept him from getting to the ball), but nothing that could remotely be considered to have any effect on the outcome.
    I must have missed that with my eyes glassed over in disbelief.... I kept waiting for the Broncos to get going on both sides of the ball - it just didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Danerada View Post
    At least 24 is coming back!!!!!
    x6!!!
    +
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

NAMATH!?? PLUNKETT?? PULEASE...(maybe theisman a little of a reach as well)
    I agree with you here. I think Stabler is a bit of a stretch as well.

NAMATH!?? PLUNKETT?? PULEASE...remove those two immediately.. I'll give you the others. Those are allowed in the conversation (maybe theisman a little of a reach as well)

The only thing Namath was famous for is the 'guarantee'. He had a 50 50 shot at that. He was a mediocre quarterback at best...

Hey, I could not stand the guy back then, and he broke my heart when they (jets) beat the colts, but he probably had the fastest release ever, and was DEADLY accurate. One of the greatest long ball throwers ever. Without a doubt one of the all time greats. Willie brown, one of the greatest cornerbacks would get sick and throw up for two days before he had to face Nameth and Maynard. Madden has said facing Nameth and trying to stop him was one of the hardest things he had to do as a coach. Another great one who was stuck on some bad teams was Bert Jones with the colts. Ken Obrian of the Jets was another great thrower.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    I agree with you here. I think Stabler is a bit of a stretch as well.

Sounds like you may not like the Raiders. All in fun guys, but for me, if I had to have a quarteback to drive the length of the field and win a big game at the end, it would be #1, NO contest... Joe Montana. #2, Kenny Stabler. Nothing to do with Stats, only from watching these guys through out their careers. Montana was in a class of his own. Its not like you thought he would do it, you KNEW, without any doubt, he was going to beat you. The 49ers knew it, the opposing team knew it, and everyone in the stands knew it. It was horrific to watch him against your team. You could see it the players. They knew, there was simply no way they were going to be able to stop him. I think a big part of Montanas magic was his accuracy, from "yardage after the catch". No one would hit a guy in stride like Montana, and like Rice said, catching his passes were like long handoffs. Not ony would he put it dead on the money, but it was laid in there, not drilled. You would think he had a weak arm, but then constantly hit Rice or Taylor in stride, over either shoulder (which ever one was away from the defender) for 65-70 yards downfield. I am getting pissed off just thinking about it. UGGHH!!!

Last edited by Tag; 02-04-2014 at 12:24 PM.

I have nothing against the Raiders. I would agree that Montana is the all time greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tag View Post
    Hey, I could not stand the guy back then, and he broke my heart when they (jets) beat the colts, but he probably had the fastest release ever, and was DEADLY accurate. One of the greatest long ball throwers ever. Without a doubt one of the all time greats. Willie brown, one of the greatest cornerbacks would get sick and throw up for two days before he had to face Nameth and Maynard. Madden has said facing Nameth and trying to stop him was one of the hardest things he had to do as a coach. Another great one who was stuck on some bad teams was Bert Jones with the colts. Ken Obrian of the Jets was another great thrower.
    Namath?
    He may have thrown the long ball, but to the wrong team
    50% completion rating....173 TDs, 220 interceptions.....

But you can have him ahead of Brady...???
    Last edited by Todd_FindingMyWay; 02-04-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Um...stretching a 'little' are we?
    Maybe a little, but if we're talking winning the big game, Williams did. Marino didn't.

Manning wasn't the problem in the game. The offensive line was horrible - you could put Brady in that game, and the result would have been the same.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Namath?
    He may have thrown the long ball, but to the wrong team
    50% completion rating....173 TDs, 220 interceptions.....

But you can have him ahead of Brady...???

You can not compare stats of then to now. IMO, Bradys #s would look absolutely nothing like they do now if he played then, and I think he is a fine QB. Brady is excellent, but he simply can not not throw the ball like Nameth. He does not have the arm strength, release, or accuracy that Nameth had. Yes, I would put Nameth ahead of Brady on an (Imaginary) all time list. I would like to see Bradys belly aching when cornerbacks were hanging all over his recievers and he rarely got an interference call, and see him blindsided by Deacon Jones several seconds after throwing the ball, with no roughing the QB call. Can you imaging his whining?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    I have nothing against the Raiders. I would agree that Montana is the all time greatest.

There are a lot of great quarterbacks, and I have tried, but its hard to find even the hardest headed person (like myself) who can put up an argument against Montana. As crazy as he drove me sometimes, damn do I miss watching that guy play. ( And he and Ronnie Lott actually made me a niners fan for a while. ) And poor Dan Fouts. Along with Marino, the two best QBs I can think of who never won the big one. Fouts was unreal, and remains overlooked and under rated. IMO. Easily one of the best throwers ever, who always had one of the worst defenses ever, EVERY year!
    Last edited by Tag; 02-04-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks for starting this thread, Hans! I'm so unbelievably excited -- I can hardly contain myself!

I'm a San Diego native (don't get me started on the amazing Dan Fouts) and the very first ball game I saw was in Jack Murphy stadium against a new upstart team, Seattle Seahawks. They were never much of a divisional rival (that was reserved for Kansas City) and weren't really on my radar until we moved to Seattle in 1981. Slowly but surely Seattle became my number 1 team. And once they moved to the NFC (again) it was no longer a mental rivalry for me (although I'd still love to see a Seattle/San Diego Superbowl).

For this game I felt confident, which worried me. Obvious Manning is, well.. the man! And his offense is absolutely disgusting with talent. Honestly, I was more worried about the NFC Championship game than any other. Facing the Panthers or 49ers? Two super tough teams on both sides of the ball. But I wanted the 49ers more. They're our divisional rivals and I honestly felt whoever won, the best team was going to the SB.

All this talk of Manning playing poorly, etc. is just silly to me though. He's a legend! He didn't play poorly. None of his guys did either. They just got beaten. I mean, if his receivers are covered and defensive ends are trying to make a sandwich out of your body, there's not a whole lot you can do. We took the long ball away from him by not giving him time -- and he's never been a Russel Wilson/Colin Kaepernick with his legs. The running lanes were, for the most part shut down, which left him short (over the middle) passes. Not sure if you noticed how hard Kam Chancellor and the rest of the Legion of Boom hit, but it's hard! What receiver can take that over and over?

Anyway, all I'm saying is the Broncos played well. Give Manning one measly more second per passing attempt and you're talking a completely different ball game. Completely different! And that's what it came down to. A tiny bit more pressure than he could deal with and a tiny bit better coverage than his receivers could readily adapt to. But that's what the Seahawks are all about!

Our offense did a fantastic job and Russell Wilson could have easily been given the MVP for it. The kid didn't make mistakes. He simply drove the field and made scores. That we also made scores on defense & special teams kind of overshadowed the offensive prowess -- but that's been the name of the game all season.

Anyway, while drinking beers or sipping cocktails is a mainstay of watching games at my house, we celebrate every Seahawks score with shots of whiskey. So that started at 12 seconds and kept going! And immediately afterward we walked downtown to a sports bar to celebrate more. Then to another place with a band to continue the celebration. Here's a minute long clip to give you the flavor! And I'm so looking forward to the parade tomorrow!

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough...

Quote Originally Posted by richardlpalmer View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread, Hans! I'm so unbelievably excited -- I can hardly contain myself!

I'm a San Diego native (don't get me started on the amazing Dan Fouts) and the very first ball game I saw was in Jack Murphy stadium against a new upstart team, Seattle Seahawks. They were never much of a divisional rival (that was reserved for Kansas City) and weren't really on my radar until we moved to Seattle in 1981. Slowly but surely Seattle became my number 1 team. And once they moved to the NFC (again) it was no longer a mental rivalry for me (although I'd still love to see a Seattle/San Diego Superbowl).

For this game I felt confident, which worried me. Obvious Manning is, well.. the man! And his offense is absolutely disgusting with talent. Honestly, I was more worried about the NFC Championship game than any other. Facing the Panthers or 49ers? Two super tough teams on both sides of the ball. But I wanted the 49ers more. They're our divisional rivals and I honestly felt whoever won, the best team was going to the SB.

All this talk of Manning playing poorly, etc. is just silly to me though. He's a legend! He didn't play poorly. None of his guys did either. They just got beaten. I mean, if his receivers are covered and defensive ends are trying to make a sandwich out of your body, there's not a whole lot you can do. We took the long ball away from him by not giving him time -- and he's never been a Russel Wilson/Colin Kaepernick with his legs. The running lanes were, for the most part shut down, which left him short (over the middle) passes. Not sure if you noticed how hard Kam Chancellor and the rest of the Legion of Boom hit, but it's hard! What receiver can take that over and over?

Anyway, all I'm saying is the Broncos played well. Give Manning one measly more second per passing attempt and you're talking a completely different ball game. Completely different! And that's what it came down to. A tiny bit more pressure than he could deal with and a tiny bit better coverage than his receivers could readily adapt to. But that's what the Seahawks are all about!

Our offense did a fantastic job and Russell Wilson could have easily been given the MVP for it. The kid didn't make mistakes. He simply drove the field and made scores. That we also made scores on defense & special teams kind of overshadowed the offensive prowess -- but that's been the name of the game all season.

Anyway, while drinking beers or sipping cocktails is a mainstay of watching games at my house, we celebrate every Seahawks score with shots of whiskey. So that started at 12 seconds and kept going! And immediately afterward we walked downtown to a sports bar to celebrate more. Then to another place with a band to continue the celebration. Here's a minute long clip to give you the flavor! And I'm so looking forward to the parade tomorrow!

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

Great post! I can feel your excitement coming through the screen. Lol! I am not even a Seahawks fan, but I was for them because its great to see a team that has never won it actually do it. I dont care for the Lions that much either, but if I could see any team win one, it would be them or maybe the Vikings. Man that would be great!