Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archon punches...

Archon punches...

in the gut. It really has a tight low end thump. Even at low volumes. Paired with a closed PRS 2x12 cab with V30's, it's a really nice and useable gig combination. Scoop the e.q. just a bit and you can chugga-chugga with the best of them. If you don't scoop it, it's sort of a JVM-ish gain tone thing, but with the added tight low end I always wished the JVM had. Played through a 1960BHW with G12-55's, this thing is obscene. Too much so for what I play, but it's as cool as can be, and certainly leaves an impression.

I guess most people would probably compare it with a Mesa. I don't know though. The Archon is not all that similar to me. Once you get high enough in gain, who can really tell I guess. But set with reasonable (to me) gain on the Archon, it definitely has a different personality than any Mesa I have (though the Roadster on channel 3 or 4 is the closest.)

The clean channel was surprising. It's really (really) good, but that wasn't the surprising part. The clean side has what seems to be an infinite amount of headroom. Even with the clean volume fully cranked, it's just....well...clean. Two-rock chimey and deep clean, but you're not going to get hair out of it. That's fine, because it seems to like my OCD. But if you're looking for the amp to do a classic rock crunch on the clean side without a pedal, you won't find it. And classic rock crunch on the lead side isn't really its bag.

It's in the rotation now. Practice was great, and I'll play it out next weekend, but I'm sure it'll work great. We're starting to get a little more modern with the material that we're doing, and I think that the Archon will fit into that quite nicely...

Nice!

I'm anxious to get my hands on one of these bad boys as soon as it hits my dealer...
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

That's awesome. Thanks for the personal review. The last thing I need is another BIG amp, but my mouth is watering.

The aesthetics really catch my eye...that modern with a retro-vibe kind of thing is very attractive. In a word, industrial. Not that looks make it sound any better, but again, it shows innovation.

Great review. That's the best description of the clean channel I've seen. Any chance of a clip or two? Thanks, man.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Thanks for the review, I should have the first to arrive in the UK at World Guitars (an amazing store!)
    i cannot wait!!!

"Duck, or you're gonna be talkin' out yo ass!"

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    The aesthetics really catch my eye...that modern with a retro-vibe kind of thing is very attractive. In a word, industrial. Not that looks make it sound any better, but again, it shows innovation.

Great review. That's the best description of the clean channel I've seen. Any chance of a clip or two? Thanks, man.
    Thanks! Already recorded a few clips in my typical cheesey style. I'll have to pull that into the computer and uplink it... soon.

I agree about the looks of the thing. It really is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bufford T View Post
    Thanks for the review, I should have the first to arrive in the UK at World Guitars (an amazing store!)
    i cannot wait!!!
    My guess is that you'll like it!

Quote Originally Posted by aristotle View Post
    Thanks! Already recorded a few clips in my typical cheesey style. I'll have to pull that into the computer and uplink it... soon.

I agree about the looks of the thing. It really is cool.

My guess is that you'll like it!
    Me too!! Now just need to sell that god awful Engl!

"Duck, or you're gonna be talkin' out yo ass!"

Wow, can't wait to hear it. I always liked your videos.

I'm really liking mine a ton. The more I play it, the more I like it. I actually miss it on the occasion I can't make it to my rehearsal space for a week. I have missed guitars after not playing them for a bit, but not an amp really.

It's so cool looking, that alone gives me the hots for one.

I'm seriously thinking of adding an amp to my studio later this year for part layering - and I'm honestly unsure whether it should be the DG or the Archon. Both have their virtues!

I know, the solutions is not to choose, just get both!
    Check us out: http://www.elfxi.com

Check's in the mail.
    Sh*tter's full

Narrowfield P'kup Hoarder HANGAR18's Avatar
    Thanks for the great review! I'm saving up for one of these right now. They ain't cheap so it may be a while but I definitely want one.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    I'm honestly unsure whether it should be the DG or the Archon. Both have their virtues!

I know, the solutions is not to choose, just get both!
    Uhmm... I guess I'm guilty of that logic....

Just curious, on some of the pics, you've got the lead mid control on about 11:00, but almost scooped out at 8:30 on the one above. When you say "scoop the e.q. just a bit and you can chugga-chugga with the best of them", how much are you scooping?
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, PS #4858 McCarty Singlecut, Floyd Custom 24
    PRS Amps - Archon

SWEET man!! Archon looks awesome! Thank you for the review, getting one of these soon!!
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets/signed by PRS
    2012 FBJB 10 top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti
    2012 Tremonti CustomSE Grey/Black heavily modded, DGT frets and nut at PTC
    2014 ARCHON

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebulldog View Post
    Just curious, on some of the pics, you've got the lead mid control on about 11:00, but almost scooped out at 8:30 on the one above. When you say "scoop the e.q. just a bit and you can chugga-chugga with the best of them", how much are you scooping?
    I've been having a crazy good time taking this thing through its paces, so I've been running all possible settings on this thing. The picture with the Archon on top of the DG30 just happened to coincide with an extreme setting I was playing with. I'd say that to get a good classic metal tone out of the thing, for my tastes anyway, mid would be set to something like 3-4 out of 10, bass would be up around 7, and treble someplace around 6. With bright on that is. My experience with it, for my tastes, says it works better with bright on. Also, for what it's worth, I like it better on the 100W setting at a lower master volume than I do on the 50W setting with a higher master. Don't know why that would be, but that's my experience so far for pretty much any output volume. One last thing. The lead volume setting really is a true gain-tone setting. The output volume doesn't change much above 3 out of 10. It just adds gain-tone. The output volume on the lead side is pretty much determined by the lead master alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    SWEET man!! Archon looks awesome! Thank you for the review, getting one of these soon!!
    Thanks!

One last note.... I've experimented more with pedals on the clean side. This thing really is like a Showman or a Twin. You can get great stuff out of pedals on the clean side.

Yea I'm loving mine too. Great review by the way Aristotle.
    My name is Matt and I'm a guitarholic

1994 McCarty; 2010 Charcoal Burst Modern Eagle Quatro; 2012 Fire Red Burst Signature Limited;2012 Charcoal Buster Siggy ( PTC Modified ); 2012 Vintage Burst Stripper; 2012 Charcoal 408 Standard w/ Crackwood; 2012 NOS ME1 Tiger Eye

Quote Originally Posted by aristotle View Post
    Uhmm... I guess I'm guilty of that logic....

Heh!

Well, inspired by your perspicacity, I may just have a DG head/cab deal in the works for my studio.

I think the HXDA is my ultimate, but I think it'd be great to have another amp for layering and alternate sounds.
    Check us out: http://www.elfxi.com

You are amongst those I count as my idols.

<3
    Plank Owner