Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PRS 2014 All "G" and no "F"?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    'Twould be cool, but I was hoping for blood-splatter finish.

Attachment 1297
    Or leopard print.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Or leopard print.
    Yes! made with faux leopard fur

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    Do you want the floyd too? haha
    no Floyds for me, thanks

I'm going to need a case with that on the interior.
    One Life

Come on buddy, you should go all the way and make it with real leopard fur!

My name be scrambled ElrytNamrogo's Avatar
    Come on buddy, you should go all the way and make it with real leopard fur!
    Unicorn fur.
    --Tyler G--
    2012 PRS Custom 24
    - Burnt Maple Leaf 10-top
    2008 PRS Custom 22 - Santana Yellow - Rosewood Neck - 10-top
    PRS SE Singlecut Trem - Tobacco Sunburst -Grover Locking Tuners - Bareknuckle Rebel Yells - Push/Pull Volume and Tone - Graphtech Self Lubricating nut

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    You are now eligible for a grand prize of some sort. We haven't figured out what that will be yet, but it will not be anything you want, so don't worry about it.
    I would be willing to forward the prize that I got for tussling with Cliff Chase of Fractal Audio on his own site, an expired coupon for 1.50 pounds sterling on itunes and a cuff behind the ears.

3) d. I've spent a lot of time thinking about this one. Knowing that you are indeed a very clever man, I had to weigh the philosophical concept of vagina dentata against the intended intrusional usage of trademarked cotton swabs in my orifices. I also debated the allegory possibilities and analogical reasonings of scribing my way to new sonic destinations versus writing romance novels with ear wax, but the thought of sticking my pencil in a sharpener proved to be too terrible of a visual for me to ponder so early in my day.
    So we definitely agree on this, right?
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

The 408 volume issue is just...weird. I have never heard a single coil that loud in my life! Now this definitely has something to do with how I've always had to deal with a mismatch in volume between buckers and singles, like how hard the input to the amp is driven or how I'll compress the signal to make up for it, but they kinda made me feel like I needed to rethink my signal chain. That's not to say it's a bad thing, it just new,.. and for the most part we guitarists are a traditional bunch of goons.
    I saw one of the earlier posts while I was at work today and that got me thinking about this, and I kind of thought the same thing about the 408s sounding a little less than single-coilish in SC mode, and you hit on the same idea that I had - I think it's a volume thing. We've become so conditioned to single-coils being fairly lower in volume than buckers, and the louder they get (or the more gain you use), the more that difference fades away. I think the lack of a volume drop kind of hides what we expect to hear as a classic single-coil sound.

I had to weigh the philosophical concept of vagina dentata against the intended intrusional usage of trademarked cotton swabs in my orifices.
    Here's a movie for you...

Quote Originally Posted by ElrytNamrogo View Post
    Unicorn fur.
    Rumor is there's a sudden surge in the supply of giraffe fur available from the Denmarkian region...
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Serg, you are always welcome to stop by and play my Brent Mason if you need some F tones.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, Ted SC245 Willcutt's WL Limited, Paul's Guitar
    PRS Amps - Archon

I'd like to see an Alder bodied, bolt-on maple neck, triple narrow 408 model.

Oh wait, I did that already!

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebulldog View Post
    Serg, you are always welcome to stop by and play my Brent Mason if you need some F tones.
    I'd love to, Alan. As soon as it warms up, I have the forum guitar for you to sign too if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    Rumor is there's a sudden surge in the supply of giraffe fur available from the Denmarkian region...

Just let me know and I'll hook you up..................

This may just be me...

One of the reasons I like PRS guitars is that they have much of the warm overtone quality of a G combined with a bit more low end snap and clarity like an F.

I find that even my SC245 has more bottom end crispness and definition than the rolled off (and to my ear) mushy bottom end sound of most LPs. In fact, that's what always bothered me when I was a Gibson player, Yet I wasn't into Fender because I preferred the way Gibbys had warmer overtones on top.

Then PRS came along. Problem solved.

People don't often stop to think about these things that make a PRS pretty special, and neither G nor F. Or maybe they don't quite understand it, because folks always seem to be asking how close a PRS can come to one or the other, when really, a PRS is its own thing.

I'd much rather play a PRS than either of the others. Your mileage may vary, of course, but then you'd just be so wrong.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 02-11-2014 at 10:05 PM.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I haven't been following this thread, and then I started reading it from the bottom up. Disturbing.

Anyways...

On the one hand, I have to agree with Les, people have said that PRS is halfway between G and F, or that PRS has its' own thing altogether, I think a little bit of both. Paul has made it clear that he drew from a lot of the good stuff from G and F to make something that embodies aspects of both, and combines to make something even more than just a sum of those parts.

On the other hand, I think G's territory has been easier for PRS to invade. While G has some great instrument designs, and good examples can be found, I hold no love for G as a company, their QC is awful, their prices are high for the supposed craftsmanship, and their interest in making instruments rather than profit is debatable at best. F, on the other hand... I have no beef with F. True, their act isn't up to the same level as PRS, but I think they put out a decent product at a very fair price. Selling Joe Player a DC3 or NF3 for $2G's, when you can walk out with a nice American Standard for $1200... that's a hard sale to make. That being said, I could see a couple of F style offerings in the S2 line going very well.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    This may just be me...
    No it's not just you...

Look, PRS has always had a case of gender dysphoria and I think that's what attracted most of us to them in the first place, it just seems that PRS is hitting the testosterone pretty heavy this year.

No other brand takes as much heat as PRS does; Ibanez, Jackson, Suhr, Hamer, Tom Anderson, ESP, Collings,...etc, Blah blah blah.. Nobody sits around complaining too much about how they don't sound like this or that, but I think there may be two reasons for that:

1) As dope as those other brands can be, PRS really seems to have it's own identity that isn't all that derivative from "G" or "F", instead it's more like an evolutionary combination of the two.

2) Those other manufacturers produce guitars with plain old single coil pickups and bolt on necks.

All I'm sayin' is that it would be cool to see a fancy version of a PRS with a carved top, some bolts, and some single coils you could swap out, rather than some proprietary holes in the body that you gotta cover up. I'm good, as I said earlier it was just a fart I needed to let out. I can (and do) deal just fine with old CE's and adapter rings... It would just be bangin' to get something prissy lookin'.

No it's not just you...

[...]

All I'm sayin' is that it would be cool to see a fancy version of a PRS with a carved top, some bolts, and some single coils you could swap out, rather than some proprietary holes in the body that you gotta cover up. I'm good, as I said earlier it was just a fart I needed to let out. I can (and do) deal just fine with old CE's and adapter rings... It would just be bangin' to get something prissy lookin'.

Aha! Yeah... I really don't get this direction with the new pickups? I mean, from a business standpoint? I get the ideas behind the NFs and the 408s, but the 305 just confuses the heck out of me, shapewise.

I've heard somebody (Paul) mention, that he was reluctant to offer the PRS pickups separately, because then people would just buy the pickups and put them in cheaper guitars. But this is just the other way around, right? Now people are (or could potentially be) turning down the complete guitar because they can't swap the pups out.... I don't get it. Maybe PRS owners are not tinkerers, generally?

I'm probably just seeing ghosts.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Move along, nothing to see here...

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    Looks like maybe they were competing with themselves. The same thing happened with Gibson in the late '50's--in 1958 they introduced the ES-335/345/355 series, the Explorer and the Flying V, and the sunburst finish on the Les Paul. By the time I started playing in '62, about all you saw of Gibsons were the ES models, and lots of players used them. We know what happened to the V and the Explorer--too radical for the market--but I think a lot of players who otherwise might have bought Bursts got ES's instead. I remember asking a dealer if Gibson even made solidbodies--well, I was pretty much a beginner--and he laughed and asked me if I'd ever heard of Les Paul....but the ES's were all I saw back then from Gibson.
    So--I think that F players like me, who weren't really knocked out by PRS--nice guitars, just not for me--were glad to see them getting into the single-coil arena a little more. Which one to get, though? I was knocked out by the DC3, almost got one, and I really liked the 305 too--but I couldn't afford either one right away, and by the time I could, the Brent Mason had come along, and I got one of those. Seems like the Brent Mason has cut into sales of DC3's and 305's, but I don't see any of them selling in large numbers--actually, I don't see any of them at all; I ordered my Brent Mason before I ever had the chance to play one, although I had tried the aforementioned DC3 and 305. They won't sell if they're not in stores...
    I hate to see the DC3 go away--it's kind of the "un-PRS" PRS, more F- and not so much G-inspired, but maybe they'll do an S2 version, or perhaps an SE version--my wallet would love that!

I guess there is one more aspect to this; no matter how many potential "end customers" are interested in certain models, that does not translate into sales for PRS. It requires the individual music stores to buy them from the distributors. And G and F are still much easier to sell - they are the established brands. Why use wall space for something you think you're not going to sell within x weeks/months? Whereas the G-style PRS guitars HAVE some public recognition going for it, I don't doubt that they take much longer to sell when looked at individually. The F-style ones would be even tougher, I think.

It's also a question of how much can be gained at each link in the chain - i.e., PRS, Distributor, Music store. BM, and I think DC3, NF3, the studios, etc are cheaper than the customs and other seemingly more popular models. If I were a distributor (and pragmatic), I would push for sales on the higher-dollar guitars for a higher profit. Same thing next link in the chain. I also do not doubt that PRS (the company) knows what their "core" core models are. So the odds are stacked against the single coil models in my opinion. Sadly. With time, this may change - if we're lucky.

My first prs was the 305 moved on to a custom 24 and have just gone bacjk to the 305. I play a lot of guitar and although I sometimes wish the 305 had 24 frets I currently think its tone is fantastic and love playing it.