Thread: NGD: SE Lowery

NGD: SE Lowery

This arrived right on time Friday, and since it's a good 70+ degrees every day here in Phoenix I didn't have to wait a day for the guitar to acclimate.

This is a 2013 model. The Music Store Live folks made me a great deal and I would recommend them to anyone.

Flawless in build quality. Black gloss paint shows every little thing, and there is no little thing to see here, anywhere on the guitar. The neck is beefy which is my preference. The strings are a little light for the tuning I intend to use, B standard. However, when tuned this way, the guitar is set up perfectly and plays beautifully. The ergonomics are somewhere between my custom 22 and my Mira, both of which are comfortable, but are different from one another - which is to say, the guitar feels natural to me to play. My Mushok's ergonomics fall outside of that range with the bridge further toward the back of the body and the neck extending beyond either of the two USA models, plus the flat top which changes the position of my right shoulder slightly.

My particular Lowery unplugged sounds a bit like a hollow body. It is ridiculously light, I would guess in the 6 lb range. There seem to be certain notes that really resonate, while others resonate a little less. I played a different one at a local GC and this was not the case with it - it sounded like a solid body. Regardless, plugged in I can't say it's obviously different without being able to compare them side by side.

My Mushok has a Fralin 8K in the neck and a Suhr SSV+ in the bridge - boutiquey, high end pickups. The Lowery's SE pickups hold their own when compared directly, though are obviously not quite to the same caliber. The highs are not quite as sparkly, but the string definition is solid. The bridge pickup could do metal but isn't so far into metal territory that it can't do just lower tuned rock, which is what I do. The neck pickup has super fat and clear lows without getting muddy. The coil splits are lackluster and unusable - though adding some resistors ala DGT 2012 to the splits could go a long way toward improving this aspect, at less than $1. Overall, though, the shorter scale and mahogany/rosewood neck combine to create a warmer tone. While the stock pickups aren't bad, I would like to try out some higher end pickups and see where that takes it.

Since I have a baritone which I am very familiar with after almost 5 years of ownership, the Lowery compared favorably in most aspects. It's more comfortable to play, and the quality is right up there. Music Store Live offers free return shipping if the guitar isn't up to standards, which is why I bought through them. However, I think I'll be keeping it. A couple things that I think will really help it "pop" aesthetically would be some cream pickups rings and either zebra open coils or some nickel covers, plus some PRS lampshade knobs.

The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

I've been kinda interested in trying one of these out. They look greatl and love the specs. I wonder what m pickups would do to the tone.....
    2013 PRS DGT..
    2012 Ibanez RG 870 premuim
    2014 Prs se Clint Lowrey
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with Saxon cabinet .

Congrats!

Congrats

Looks pretty darn cool!
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

DGT Club Vice President
    I dig. Very cool!

mgd

DGTs

Looks great! Nice review. Can't wait to see it with the mods!

Very nice. I like the clean lines of this guitar. ENJOY!!!

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Love those - very cool looking guitars. Would be interesting to see with zebras or white rings, but I certainly like the as-is look alot. Would love to play one, actually SEE one in the wild
    1990 CE24 MT | 1991 CU24 | 1991 CE24 | 1992 CE24 MT
    1993 STD 24 | 1997 CE24 3pc MT | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 SE Akesson | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 S2 Mira | 2013 Hollowbody II
    2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2014 SE Zach Myers

Gold hardware, gold covers. I could really dig that.

Thanks, everyone!

I have a set of SE zebra pickups courtesy of Monsieur DeBlanc and possibly some creme rings, I could mock it up and take a few pics, hopefully tonight.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

I liked that guitar a lot when I played it at EXP. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    I liked that guitar a lot when I played it at EXP. Congrats!
    Yeah you did... And to think it's still out there in the world waiting for you.

Congrats on your new Blacky

Which cosmetically do you like better?

A.

B.

C.

I will go with either A or B.

And talking about this guitar, mine is about to arrive any minute now!!

Sweet!

I'm also leaning towards A. B looks almost exactly like my CU22, which is very classy, but as a downtuned guitar I want this one to look a little more rude, I guess?

A friend of mine is sending me a zebra DiMarzio Steve's Special. I used one of these for a down-tuned guitar circa 2007. It sounded pretty great in spite of the ceramic magnet, which I normally wouldn't go for. The pickup has got a scoop to the mids and this guitar is very mid-heavy - so either these will come together and form a magical full frequency masterpiece or it will be a lifeless disaster. There's no way to know unless I try! I will install the pictured SE neck pickup courtesy of Sergio (we traded a while back, I don't remember what I sent him), and we'll go from there.

zebra hfs/vb in that custom 22 would look killer and sound killer!!!! I saw musicstorelive had some vb on sell in the new square pickup style. Just saying
    I like surprises!!!

I have wanted a set of zebra squabbin 59/09s for a LONG time, like since they made the switch to squabbins a couple years ago. I'm really stoked to see some zebra squabbins in the wild, even if they're not 59/09s.

The HFS is a bit too much in the metal direction for me. I had one in my Mushok baritone for a while. With the ceramic magnet is was totally in-your-face metal. It sounded badass for that but I'm more of a rock player. I swapped out the magnet for a alnico 5 and it was tamer, but not enough. I have a Suhr SSV+ in it now and it works really well, the best of any pickup I have tried in that guitar. Overwound with 42 gauge wire and alnico 5 seems to be my formula of choice. I don't know what magnets are in 59/09s.

Strangely the SE HFS pickup that's in there is not half bad at all. It's very good, in fact. The guitar stock really keeps up tonally with my Mushok.