Thread: Custom 24 neck replacement

Custom 24 neck replacement

Ok so i bought a new custom 24 a couple months ago with a pattern thin neck, after having used a pattern regular on a 2004 Custom 24 as my workhorse guitar for a number of years. After having played both i prefer the thin one, and as they're my main gigging guitars i'm thinking of having the same neck for both. Is replacing a neck a difficult/expensive process, or is that feasible? or am i better off just selling it and getting one with a pattern thin neck?

If it was a bolt on no problem set necks usually can be done but I don't know about the set ins with maple cap...

The PTC can shave your neck down to Pattern Thin specs

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    The PTC can shave your neck down to Pattern Thin specs
    It might be as thin as a pattern thin, but they can't increase the nut width.

Shoot, who was the guy in Brazil who swapped out his neck on his DGT for a solid Brazilian Rosewood neck? He proved it could be done. However, I am guessing to have the PTC do that would probably cost in the neighborhood of an entirely new guitar (or at least a good used one) so if it was me I'd sell it and find a different one.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Sell, or trade for what you want. WAAAAY more trouble than it's worth to replace the neck, IMNSHO...
    --Garrett--

Yeah, I don't think PTC will do neck replacements. They can reshape the neck.

cool...waiting on a reply from the PTC on a quote for a neck mod/replacement, but yeah i'm thinking that's gonna be on the pricey side...also went to guitar center just to ask what they'd give in a trade and they said bc of the boutique-ey nature of PRS guitars in general, when they're used they don't get a ton in resale, and would only give me $1000 when i paid $2800 like 8 years ago...cool sales person told me to hang onto it and use it for what it is, since it sounds great, is a fairly small difference, and i wouldn't be able to get a ton of value back anyway...that i should just get another one with the wide/thin neck when i have a sec, which seems like the most reasonable deal