Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Album/CD purchase

OK, I'm going to swim against the mainstream here. I do not like Kiss. That's right, I don't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    OK, I'm going to swim against the mainstream here. I do not like Kiss. That's right, I don't like them.
    I remember, a few years back, posting a gig photo while wearing a Kiss concert t-shirt. You were relentless. LOL

"So Hans, we're you just wearing that shirt to be ironic?"

LOL Funny as hell!
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    I remember, a few years back, posting a gig photo while wearing a Kiss concert t-shirt. You were relentless. LOL

"So Hans, we're you just wearing that shirt to be ironic?"

LOL Funny as hell!
    Wait, you WEREN'T being ironic? man we need to talk.

I couldn't have been more than 5 when I took my dads copy of The Black Album and listened to it non-stop for hours. I got into music super young, but this - this tape (yes tape) was a gamechanger for me.
    I think the fact that it was heavy, but also cotained a lot of melody as well as acoustic work is what drew me to metal. The fact that unlike most genres, you were able to express yourself using anything from loud drums, huge distorted guitars and screaming to acoustic guitar, piano and clean singing was awesome.
    Last edited by themike; 06-05-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Quote Originally Posted by themike View Post
    I couldn't have been more than 5 when I took my dads copy of The Black Album...
    Ok. I'm old.
    One Life

Picked up 2 albums that first day. ELO "Out of the Blue" & Foreigner "Double Vision". Shortly thereafter came Van Halen I and Boston. Those last 2 went with me everywhere after I copied them to cassette.

Feast like a sultan, I do QueenCityGuitars's Avatar
    Not even when you were a kid, Shawn? I guess it depends on how old you are, but I was Gene Simmons every year for Halloween from '77 to '79. Good times...

Kiss is a marketing juggernaut, I can't deny that, but as far as their music goes. meh. They kind of remind me of slightly edgier version of The Archies. "Sugar. Ahhhh Honey, Honey".

+1 There will be 2 of us at the "don't like kiss" party. I was listening to Boston and Foreigner instead... 38 special, 3 dog night, etc, etc.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2008 Mira, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2012 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

I had a step-brother who was 9 years older than me. He used to wake me up after my Dad (and his Mom) crashed for the night - especially on bad days - and he would rock some Kiss. He watched after me during a pretty crummy era.

His favorite band was Kiss. Led Zepplin was close second. He used to talk about the time he got to see them live, in make up. Needless to say, old Kiss is quite nostalgic for me.
    Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 06-05-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by AP515 View Post
    +1 There will be 2 of us at the "don't like kiss" party. I was listening to Boston and Foreigner instead... 38 special, 3 dog night, etc, etc.
    3 at the non-KISS party

Speaking of Three Dog Night - certainly not my first album, but practically wore out "Live at the Forum" from 1969, learning this arrangement of a Lennon McCartney song. We did this in our high school band. Very challenging three-part acapella, but much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by AP515 View Post
    Same here!!

The first vinyl was "Meet the Beatles"
    The first cassette was "America"
    The first CD was "Kiss the Sky" - Hendrix

I never owned an 8-track - but if I had, it would have been "DSotM".
    Last edited by rugerpc; 06-28-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Black Sabbath Paranoid. Bought it in 1983.

BDR-529

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    1st vinyl was Motley Crue Shout at the Devil

1st cassette was Ratt Out of the Cellar

1st CD was Damn Yankees first album. I think there were a total of 10-15 CDs in the "Rock" section at the time...
    -Jon

"I'm a sinner and I hope I never change"

I'm another in the don't like KISS camp, even though I used to love listening to the Destroyer 8-track. Just got tired of them.

1st vinyl - Def Leppard Pyromania
    1st Cassette - Van Halen 1984
    1st CD - Van Halen 1984 (made sure to make that my first CD)

I don't know how you guys remember your first album or 45 or whatever... my aunts/uncles/sister were always throwing stuff around the house - the Beatles, the Monkies, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, the Guess Who. I remember the 45, I Fought the Law and the Law Won...

Don't know what I actually bought first - probably a Beatle record.

On the KISS subject - I wasn't a big fan, and yes I grew up right in the middle of their heyday. But years later my wife and I took her sister to see them live (All of us in our 40's by then). The crowd went nuts. I returned home and told my bandmate that we needed to learn to do was stomp into a pose with our legs spread apart, and bob left and right in unison... hey - it worked for them... :-)

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    First vinyl was some K-Tel collection - it had some Rick Springfield and Pat Benetar. There was another one from the 80s that had a Santana song on it. I used to browse the 45s @ Woolworths, but buying an album was a big deal, an investment! I think we had some Hall & Oates 8-Tracks, too.

My folks were into big band, and my dad literally thought that everyone who "girated" and "screamed" was evil
    1990 CE24 MT | 1991 CU24 | 1991 CE24 | 1992 CE24 MT
    1993 STD 24 | 1997 CE24 3pc MT | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 SE Akesson | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 S2 Mira | 2013 Hollowbody II
    2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2014 SE Zach Myers (incoming)

First lp: Abbey Road. I think January 1970. I was 9.
    Second: Led Zeppelin 1.
    Then 'Yessongs'. (Where are the prog fans on this forum?)
    CDs: I got a job in a CD store in Dallas when I was in college, 1987. Bought 8 CDs the first week, and didn't have a CD player.
    Kevin Brunkhorst
    Associate Professor, Music St Francis Xavier University
    Antigonish NS Canada

Klein BF-96 swamp ash, Klein BF-96 basswood, Klein BF-96 alder, PRS Studio, PRS Hollwbody Spruce, Jarrett Zaffiro, Gibson Pat Martino Custom, Martin JC-40 and a lot of effects...

Rare Earth (One World)
    Last edited by JDBRADSHAW; 08-10-2012 at 11:51 PM.
    PRS Guitars Endorsee (2008 Mira / 2010 Custom 24 / 2012 Limited Edition Top 10 P24 / 2013 Custom 24) and Signature Club Member... http://www.reverbnation.com/jdbradshaw http://www.prsguitars.com/artists/profile/jd_bradshaw/