Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: First Album/CD purchase

First Album...gulp...Kiss's "Dressed to Kill" (strictly for the bass in "She") and "Starland Vocal Band"...actually remember loving the harmonies of one of the sappiest love songs ever..."Afternoon Delight" (before I even knew what it meant...wahoooooooooooooooo) . First 8-track (yes, he said 8-track, heh heh) Styx Pieces of 8 (I think??). Hated the way it switched tracks in the middle of Renegade... first Cassette, Steppenwolf VII. My neighbor in Reisterstown had doubles and gave me one. Found the actual CD in a bargain bin couple months back and the songs are so much slower than I remember. (Earschplittinloudenboomer, Hippo Stomp!!) First CD...RUSH, Permanent Waves...with new CD stereo in truck, Spirit of Radio on 11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm .... the first album I remember getting was " Let it Be " when it first came out. ( I'm old )
    the first 8-track was Kiss - " Destroyer "
    the first CD was " Kind of Blue " by Miles
    still have the 8-track of " Destroyer " .... it's sitting on top of my amp as a gris-gris

My first LP purchase was Billy Joel, Glass Houses--I believe i still have it. Still love it, too. Lots of guitar!

First CD was Paul Simon, Graceland.

Don't remember my first download, must not have been all that special.

Who else remembers listening to those little square plastic albums from the guitar mags! Wish I kept those...

Probably something by KISS

A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poffypoffa View Post

Who else remembers listening to those little square plastic albums from the guitar mags! Wish I kept those...
    I do. I have a ton of those things packed away somewhere. Flex-o-discs. That was a fad that many of the guitars mags - and others - got into in a big way. 'Learn this lesson'. 'Hear a sample from the upcomming release of _____'.

Matter of fact, I found one the other day that was a promo item from a tour of The Southwest back in the '80's by Cheap Trick and Aldo Nova. It had artwork of Texas and cactus, etc. instead of the usual black plastic. It came from Sound Warehouse. (Remember them?). I had to test it, and it still worked! Great memories there.

Goldtop
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

First LP in vinyl......The Beach Boys' Little Deuce Coupe. Released in 1963!

Still have it....in Mint condition!

Last edited by rocguitar; 10-08-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: add note

Quote Originally Posted by rocguitar View Post
    First LP in vinyl......The Beach Boys' Little Deuce Coupe. Released in 1963!

Still have it....in Mint condition!

I use to have that one, but on cassette!!

First one for me was Imagine John Lennon. I was raised by a Beatles freak sister and we used to wear out the gulp 45s together. I know I know. The olden days. I was just a pup.

North of the southern border, east of the western sea
    First album = "Green River" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
    First CD = "Louder Than Bombs" by The Smiths
    Be.
    Do.
    Have.

Woo first post! My first ever cd that i bought was Alien Ant Farm's Anthology heh probably not to everyone's tastes but hey i was young(er) =P

Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'n' Roll

LP - some compilation with 'Snoopy and the Red Baron' and Herman's Hermit's 'Mrs. Brown, you've got a lovely daughter'.

Single - 'Sugar, Sugar' by the Archies.

Quote Originally Posted by Shultzie View Post
    LP - some compilation with 'Snoopy and the Red Baron' and Herman's Hermit's 'Mrs. Brown, you've got a lovely daughter'.

Oh yeah, CD - Frank Zappa's 'Shut up and play yer guitar' (I don't think I had a CD player yet, but I was gonna be ready...)

Quote Originally Posted by Shultzie View Post

LP - I was thinking it was AC/DC Back in Black, but you reminded me it was this:

The Rock Album (K-Tel, 1980)

Side One:
    Don't Bring Me Down - ELO
    Dirty White Boy - Foreigner
    Two Tickets To Paradise - Eddie Money
    Too Rolling Stoned - Robin Trower
    (Don't Fear) The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
    Dream Police - Cheap Trick
    Bad Case of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor) - Robert Palmer

Side Two:
    Renegade - Styx
    More Than A Feeling - Boston
    Something's On The Move - Jethro Tull
    Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' - Journey
    Isn't It Time - The Babys
    Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas
    Hold The Line - Toto

1st CD was Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms.

I can't remember the first album, but the first CDs I bought were Metallica (Metallica) and Guns N Roses (Use Your Illusion I).
    Too many and never enough...

My first album that I bought all by myself was when I was 12 and I used my birthday cash to buy a cassette copy of Kill em All by Metallica...pretty much set the tone for years of teenage rebellion and angst lol