Thread: In need of some General Direction

In need of some General Direction

Hello PRS Forum and good day.

It's been almost 9 years since I purchased my first prs guitar (Hollowbody McCarty II) and from the moment I laid hands on it I was in love. Unfortunately at the time the Piezo system was not baseline and I was just a kid so I did not include the option to add it at the time. Fast forward to now and I've been itching for a newer version of my beloved guitar, so that in mind I had a few questions for the community about the difference between the traditional Hollowbody II and the new Single cut Hollowbody II. I am wondering which would be more suited for both electric and acoustic play, as far as sound goes. It doesn't have to be for simultaneous use either but if anyone is experienced with both versions and has that insight too it would be appreciated.

I also am looking at the JA-15 as a possibility, although I prefer the Hollowbody II shape and design, but would definitely consider the JA-15 if the sound quality is far superior to the other 2. I've been out of the game for a few years as far as keeping up with the changing trends so any info or opinions are appreciated. I use an original 65 deluxe reverb which I will not ever give up, but I am also wondering if there are any newer amps which the community would recommend for these guitars (Electric and Acoustic models). Price is not really a concern to me so any info or opinions are GREATLY appreciated. My preferred style of music to play is Jazz in case that sways your opinion, and I prefer a more vintage tone.

Thank you very much in advance for the info and guidance.

Paging Kingsleyd...Kingsleyd to the white courtesy phone...

Carini, Kingsley has several amazing jazz boxes, and in particular a new PRS Private Stock that he says is one of the finest guitars of any type he's ever had, and he's a very good jazz player. You might want to do a search on his posts to see this particular model, it was pretty recent.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

And for the newer version, do you want the piezo option this time? Because if you do, the JA-15 is out of the equation because it comes with the 2-piece bridge. Then your options are the regular hollowbody II or Singlecut Hollowbody. If no piezo needed, them the JA-15 might be a good option.

On the South Bank of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in rural town.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carini View Post
    Hello PRS Forum and good day.
    I use an original 65 deluxe reverb which I will not ever give up, but I am also wondering if there are any newer amps which the community would recommend for these guitars (Electric and Acoustic models). Price is not really a concern to me so any info or opinions are GREATLY appreciated. My preferred style of music to play is Jazz in case that sways your opinion, and I prefer a more vintage tone.

Thank you very much in advance for the info and guidance.
    The Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus is an amp that you might like.

You can see one here, no affln. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...azz-chorus-amp

Something else that is quite nice according to many, including myself.
    Marshall DSL40C combo.

Link, no affln. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...itar-combo-amp

This DSL40c has a half power switch on the back, reducing it to twenty watts. Very nice clean channel and lots of tone shaping.

Also PRS makes some really nice amps. You can see them at the PRS website or go to musiciansfriend.com or any major internet place and search for PRS. You will see their amps there. I believe the "SE" imported line has been discontinued, but they make really nice higher end amps.
    Last edited by Duffy; 02-18-2014 at 08:02 PM.
    "Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.

I, personally, prefer the Singlecut HBs. Both are awesome guitars. If you would prefer a mahogany back, instead of maple, I think I saw Hollowbody I as an option (maybe through artist package).

As Jose pointed out, e piezo isn't an option on the JA-15. I really wish it was, but then again, the wrap bridge would change the tone. I have been drooling over the JAs for a while now.

Amps are all over the board. PRS amps are amazing. My personal favorites are the Sweet 16 (16 watts) and Sweet 16+ (~40 watts). For the acoustic side of the guitar, I run direct to the PA. Check out the Bose and Fishman personal PAs for a simple hifi option.

Good luck, and let us know what you get.
    Last edited by Egads; 02-18-2014 at 11:10 PM.

sweet info from all. thank you guys for the feedback so far. I do really want the piezo this time so yea I guess that eliminates the JA-15 but wasn't sure how the tones differed from the hallowbody. I have a pretty nice takamine acoustic but I've always wanted the piezo so i guess im going to have to go with one of the hollows. Thanks for the direction so far. I'll do some research from here and check back on the thread for any additional info. Thanks again to everyone for the help.