Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Tonepros Locking Studs

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    61

    Tonepros Locking Studs

    Hi all,

    I just registered and have a question.

    I recently picked up a NOS 2010 single cut korina SE as well as a 2013 se 245(first prs guitars). The korina has some pretty significant bridge lean to it which I understand is fairly common. The 245 has a little play in the bridge but overall the fit is much better. I am definitely wanting to replace the studs on the korina and possibly the 245 but have no idea what I need to order. The tonepros site has no real description on any of the parts. I would prefer the vintage steel but those are only available in "G" style which I assume means gibson style with the non-rounded, smaller heads. The "P" style with the rounded tops like are on the guitars do not come in the vintage steel. And then there are all these other brands....

    What part brand and part number do I need to order to accomplish this job to the best effect? I am prepared to use some teflon tape on the korina to snug the threads if need be unless someone is selling them with the PRS size inserts. I would prefer to not tape the 245 so not sure if I should look at swapping them on that one or not. I would be doing it for additional sustain and security whereas the korina it is to get the bridge level.

  2. #2
    Senior Member andy474x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    1,132
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...ing_Studs.html

    I think these will do the job. The SE's are imports, so they have the metric threads. I don't think you'll even need any teflon tape (which I would steer clear of anyways, you don't want any gunky plastic tape interfering with the energy transfer at the bridge IMO).

    The studs are great on the SE's. I also highly, highly recommend the tonepros wraparound bridge, the AVT-II model, which you can get as a set with the studs.

    Best of luck!
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

    SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

  3. #3
    My name be scrambled ElrytNamrogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...ing_Studs.html

    I think these will do the job. The SE's are imports, so they have the metric threads. I don't think you'll even need any teflon tape (which I would steer clear of anyways, you don't want any gunky plastic tape interfering with the energy transfer at the bridge IMO).

    The studs are great on the SE's. I also highly, highly recommend the tonepros wraparound bridge, the AVT-II model, which you can get as a set with the studs.

    Best of luck!
    +1 on this!!!! When I had a stoptail singlecut SE, I went for the AVT-II model and it was a major improvement (at least to me). The locking studs really help the tone transfer and the adjustable saddles really helped me fine-tune the intonation....great product overall.
    --Tyler G--
    2012 PRS Custom 24
    - Burnt Maple Leaf 10-top
    2008 PRS Custom 22 - Santana Yellow - Rosewood Neck - 10-top
    PRS SE Singlecut Trem - Tobacco Sunburst -Grover Locking Tuners - Bareknuckle Rebel Yells - Push/Pull Volume and Tone - Graphtech Self Lubricating nut

  4. #4
    Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warrington, Nr Liverpool UK
    Posts
    2,327
    Take a look at the Schroeder locking studs too. I have them on my Bernie:



    http://www.schroederguitars.com/buy/...-locking-studs
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    61
    Thanks guys. I actually found a couple sets of tonepros with the 15mm rounded cap and metric threads that perfectly match the look of the stock set for the same price as the standard ones. I think im all set lol.

    I like the bridge so far. I think electronics will be the next upgrade.

  6. #6
    Opaque John Beef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Posts
    1,740
    I had totally forgotten that I bought a set of these for my Mira and never installed them.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

  7. #7
    Senior Member 11top's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikegarveyblues View Post
    Take a look at the Schroeder locking studs too. I have them on my Bernie:



    http://www.schroederguitars.com/buy/...-locking-studs
    I wouldn't buy ANYTHING with that guy's name on it.
    Sh*tter's full

  8. #8
    Senior Member andy474x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    1,132
    Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    I wouldn't buy ANYTHING with that guy's name on it.
    Out of curiosity, why? Not familiar with his stuff.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

    SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

  9. #9
    Senior Member 11top's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,681
    ^ He liked my deposit (4 years ago which I will never get back since he refuses to communicate), but did not send a guitar to me. Also, I had one of his set necks, and the glue joint failed causing the neck to come loose. Same thing happened to Markie's only Schroeder.
    Last edited by 11top; 02-20-2014 at 06:13 PM.
    Sh*tter's full

  10. #10
    Senior Member yankeebulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    ^ He liked my deposit (4 years ago which I will never get back since he refuses to communicate), but did not send a guitar to me. Also, I had one of his set necks, and the glue joint failed causing the neck to come loose. Same thing happened to Markie's only Schroeder.
    His locking studs are also made of very soft metal compared to the tone pros, very easy to mar up the slots on those if you aren't careful when installing or adjusting.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, PS #4858 McCarty Singlecut, Floyd Custom 24
    Powered by Friedman

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...ing_Studs.html

    I think these will do the job. The SE's are imports, so they have the metric threads. I don't think you'll even need any teflon tape (which I would steer clear of anyways, you don't want any gunky plastic tape interfering with the energy transfer at the bridge IMO).

    The studs are great on the SE's. I also highly, highly recommend the tonepros wraparound bridge, the AVT-II model, which you can get as a set with the studs.

    Best of luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElrytNamrogo View Post
    +1 on this!!!! When I had a stoptail singlecut SE, I went for the AVT-II model and it was a major improvement (at least to me). The locking studs really help the tone transfer and the adjustable saddles really helped me fine-tune the intonation....great product overall.

    This is great info guys but every site I see online does not,specify whether it is metric or US version when you choose to add to cart. There seems to be no sure fire way of knowing if you're getting the right avtii bridge and studs. In particular the nickel version seems exceptionally hard to find and order specific to metric or US.

  12. #12
    Cream Crackered Mikegarveyblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warrington, Nr Liverpool UK
    Posts
    2,327
    Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    I wouldn't buy ANYTHING with that guy's name on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    ^ He liked my deposit (4 years ago which I will never get back since he refuses to communicate), but did not send a guitar to me. Also, I had one of his set necks, and the glue joint failed causing the neck to come loose. Same thing happened to Markie's only Schroeder.
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeebulldog View Post
    His locking studs are also made of very soft metal compared to the tone pros, very easy to mar up the slots on those if you aren't careful when installing or adjusting.
    Interesting. If I'd have known this I wouldn't have purchased. So far no issues with marring the metal but don't really want to big-up a company that has bad business practices.
    Modified SE Bernie Marsden, Fender Strat
    Laney Lionheart L5T-112, Fender Mustang 1
    Wishing for a Blue Bernie!
    Click here for SE Bernie Marsden demo!
    Lessons, covers, backing tracks, etc...www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

  13. #13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •