Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Member Issues

New Member Issues

I bought a NOS 2001 PRS CE22 last month. A week later bought a 2013 Studio, last night fell in love with a NF3. I think this week the NF3 is going to be with me. I love these guitars and they play and sound amazing. So what's the issue then? I need to know why everyone here pushes PTC...these are high end quality guitars and should not need PTC for setups and basic repairs. Also lots of people dumping lots of cash in SE guitars which compared to USA ones suck. The amount of money people pay for an SE then upgrade them you can buy a used USA. It just don't make sense to me

My name be scrambled ElrytNamrogo's Avatar
    Well, I have never used the PTC, but can assure you that from what I've seen and heard through multiple threads and even different forum boards, they do amazing work. I don't believe you HAVE to send it to the PTC for a setup, but if you do your guitar will be setup exactly to spec. If you have a local luthier or guitar tech that does great work, go that route. In light of your second question, I think it's just simply "different strokes for different folks." A lot of people like to mod and upgrade. Some people buy the SE's and play them as is. Really, it doesn't matter, making the guitar your own is what is most important. Personally, I'm not gonna knock on somebody even if they dumped ten grand into an SE when they could have easilly gone Private Stock....it's just a matter of personal preference.

My two cents....
    --Tyler G--
    2012 PRS Custom 24
    - Burnt Maple Leaf 10-top
    2008 PRS Custom 22 - Santana Yellow - Rosewood Neck - 10-top
    PRS SE Singlecut Trem - Tobacco Sunburst -Grover Locking Tuners - Bareknuckle Rebel Yells - Push/Pull Volume and Tone - Graphtech Self Lubricating nut

Good for you.
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

Quote Originally Posted by Prs2studio View Post
    So what's the issue then?
    What is the issue? Why are you acting all aggro over what other people choose to do with their own stuff? Why would your second post here be one that basically tells some of our members that their guitars suck? Why do you hate the PTC so much? New Member Issues is right.

What's that old saying about opinions?

Also lots of people dumping lots of cash in SE guitars which compared to USA ones suck.
    We're all entitled to our opinions, and in mine this is a pretty bold statement, especially around here. The SE's are pretty fantastic guitars in their own right and even without "upgrades" compare favorably to USA built models. Have you owned one? What's the basis of this opinion after starting with the PRS brand only a month ago?

As for the PTC, I think it is pretty awesome that this option is available to owners. I wish I could send my Custom Shop Strat back to Fender for a few things but they don't have a similar program. Why the vitriol?

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Two posts.
    Both hating on the PTC.
    You mad bro?

I have several USA PRSi and a couple SE guitars and yes there is a difference but I would not say the SE models suck, they are just different. I have also upgraded every component on one of those SE guitars to its USA counterpart and have spent nowhere near what the Core version would cost. IMHO, that guitar stands up just as well as the others in my collection and even better than other guitars I've owned from different makers that cost way more than what I have in that particular instrument.

Maybe you need to get off the computer and go play a few SE's and then tell us how much they suck. My three play great! ENJOY!!!
    ( My new one is in my avatar)

To quote Frank Zappa shut up and play your guitar.

Relax guys! .Prs2Studio is positive and loves the guitars.He or she says the american PRS guitars are great.To answer the question i would say if i bought a Ferrari i would send it to Ferrari because i dont know much about cars and would feel such an expensive car have to be taken care of by Ferrari themselves..As for the SE guitars i agree with you Prs2studio
    Last edited by swede71; 02-20-2014 at 03:05 PM.
    I de-modded my CU22 soapbar and made a factory spec setup.Im in love again.I very much believe now PRS guitars are perfect as they are.

Ya maybe not a good thing to rip prs on here. Kinda like ripping a Gibson on the Gibson forum....no good can come of it lol
    2013 PRS DGT..
    2012 Ibanez RG 870 premuim
    2014 Prs se Clint Lowrey
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with Saxon cabinet .

Also lots of people dumping lots of cash in SE guitars which compared to USA ones suck.
    That's a matter of opinion. I enjoy my stock SE One as much (or more) than I enjoy my Private Stock McCarty Violin; arguably the finest production PRS of all time. The fit and finish of the SE One is impeccable. Granted, I upgraded the Chinese volume pot in my stock SE One. It certainly wasn't a requirement but I'm glad I did it.

The amount of money people pay for an SE then upgrade them you can buy a used USA.
    That depends. You can't get a USA made SE One, Baritone, or 7-string without going PS. Buying the SE and upgrading it (which is usually for vanity, not functionality) is the only non-PS option. And, it's much cheaper.

It just don't make sense to me.
    That's cool. This would be a pretty boring community if we all saw the world exactly the same way.
    One Life

To chime in....

A guitar pics the player, not the other way around. If an se is what the person wants then that's their choice. Kinda like if the guitar fits a person so well and brings sooo much enjoyment then why not upgrade it to bring even more joy.

The Ptc are pushed around here because they are probably some of the best Luthiers around. Nothing leaves their bench unless it's to their standards. Not many companies offer this kind of service. Wish a lot more would .
    Last edited by sleary; 02-20-2014 at 03:27 PM.
    2013 PRS DGT..
    2012 Ibanez RG 870 premuim
    2014 Prs se Clint Lowrey
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with Saxon cabinet .

Can ignorance be more obnoxious?

Have at it guy. Great to have you here.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

such an odd post... i'm not sure of the point...

not being a member that long, i can't say i have read every post, but i have read enough to notice that the PTC is not being pushed, nor is it suggested that you must have your PRS sent there for a set up... (which, no matter how well built, all guitars eventually need)...

i do notice the suggestions for the PTC are usually for particular problems or damages.... which makes sense... who would have more experience than the manufacturer.

i purchased a DC3 from an online dealer and it was delivered with a gouge on each side of the body... since the dealer did not have a replacement... i kept the guitar (with a good discount) and brought the guitar to PTC to be repaired... the results were better than i could have hoped for, no one would ever know it had ever been damaged... the must have stripped the body and completely refinished it.... i would be hard pressed to say my local luthier could have done as good a job, and that's no dis on him.... he does great work...

i might add, that if PRS owners have the means and want to send their guitars to the PTC for set ups, adjustments, string changes, whatever .... that's their choice... not some unwarranted pressure from the people on this group...

as far as the SE line.... i have not played one, but I can't imagine they suck.

also, if people want to buy a guitar and spend their money to upgrade or change it, again, it's their choice.... doesn't matter what you spent on the guitar... you might spend 3K on one and replace the pickups (is that wrong?)

anyway.... it was my choice to post this response... i apologize for the length.
    Last edited by vox801; 02-20-2014 at 05:10 PM.

I bought a NOS 2001 PRS CE22 last month. A week later bought a 2013 Studio, last night fell in love with a NF3. I think this week the NF3 is going to be with me. I love these guitars and they play and sound amazing. So what's the issue then? I need to know why everyone here pushes PTC...these are high end quality guitars and should not need PTC for setups and basic repairs. Also lots of people dumping lots of cash in SE guitars which compared to USA ones suck. The amount of money people pay for an SE then upgrade them you can buy a used USA. It just don't make sense to me

Sorry, I'm a fan of both my USA and my SE PRS.
    -Matt

@PRS2studio - Sniff cork much?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    @PRS2studio - Sniff cork much?
    More likely bicycle seats.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

My name be scrambled ElrytNamrogo's Avatar
    Judging by the two posts Mr or Mrs PRS2studio has left, he / she came out of the flood gates a pretty strong. Passion is not uncommon in musicians which makes it easy to come off as brash. I hope PRS2studio realizes that while we all have our opinions, it's important to word them correctly. Otherwise, you won't get the respect needed to have your questions or concerns addressed, let alone taken seriously. I'm always willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but it's just a tad bold to come here (a PRS forum) and say a product "sucks". It may not fit your needs, but there is a whole community here with different tastes and opinions.

Having said that, I hope that PRS2studio didn't feel too chastized and comes back for more productive conversation. They clearly are passionate about PRS guitars, considering they're contemplating aquiring their third American made model but just may want to dial it back a bit.

Again, my two cents....
    Last edited by ElrytNamrogo; 02-21-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    --Tyler G--
    2012 PRS Custom 24
    - Burnt Maple Leaf 10-top
    2008 PRS Custom 22 - Santana Yellow - Rosewood Neck - 10-top
    PRS SE Singlecut Trem - Tobacco Sunburst -Grover Locking Tuners - Bareknuckle Rebel Yells - Push/Pull Volume and Tone - Graphtech Self Lubricating nut